Re: [pcgen] 4th edition support?

  • Jonathan Thompson
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 30, 2009
      Technically this is wrong, 4e has no OGL, what it has is the GSL (which is a
      completely different and more restricting license).

      On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:39 PM, John Kantner <jkantner@...> wrote:

      > Andrew:
      >
      > I really don't care enough to contact anyone else about this; I was just
      > relaying what I thought I knew of the situation. It was stated earlier that
      > 4E has no OGL when in fact it does have one that is much more limiting than
      > the 3.x OGL.
      >
      > --
      Jonathan M. Thompson
      Battlefield Press, Inc (www.battlefieldpress.com) / Solar Flare Productions

      jthompson@...
      d20 Magazine Rack (www.d20zines.com)
      thompsonjm@...
      In Development: (2009) Gaslight Victorian Fantasy (OGL/Savage Worlds),
      (2010) Fantastic World (Ubiquity), Terran Trade Authority (MGT) |
      "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it
      we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

    • Barak
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009

        Yeah... it *specifically* forbids software. :(

        Barak
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
          There is no 4.0 OGL. They have a GSL, and it is very different from
          the OGL. The GSL prevents any character generation software. I'm
          assuming since they want people to join their on-line stuff.

          The 4.0 'SRD' is just a list of object names. IIRC, it can be added
          to at any time, and if any previous product already has that name now
          included in the GSL's SRD document, the 3rd party publisher has to
          remove it, or change it to match what they use (or something like
          that).

          Tir Gwaith
          PCGen LST Chimp
        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
            On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 3:44 AM, Barak <barak@...> wrote:
> [...]

            Yep, and I need to finish reading a thread before replying. :)

            Tir Gwaith
            PCGen LST Chimp
          • Keith McComb
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
              As someone who is looking at selling some content that can be used in
              the systems - they specifically re-released their GSL, removing the
              section that stated that if you were going to sell 4th Ed, you had to
              stop doing anything with 3.5 Ed stuff. Apparently a lot of companies
              looked at them and said, "No thanks." Hasbro shot themselves in the foot
              on that.

              Think they're still forbidding software, though.

              Keith

              Tir Gwaith wrote:

              > There is no 4.0 OGL. They have a GSL, and it is very different from
              > the OGL. The GSL prevents any character generation software. I'm
              > assuming since they want people to join their on-line stuff.
              >
              > The 4.0 'SRD' is just a list of object names. IIRC, it can be added
              > to at any time, and if any previous product already has that name now
              > included in the GSL's SRD document, the 3rd party publisher has to
              > remove it, or change it to match what they use (or something like
              > that).
              >
              > Tir Gwaith
              > PCGen LST Chimp

            • Maredudd
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
                Hi Folks!

                Keith wrote:

                > As someone who is looking at selling some content that can be used in
                > the systems - they specifically re-released their GSL, removing the
                > section that stated that if you were going to sell 4th Ed, you had to
                > stop doing anything with 3.5 Ed stuff. Apparently a lot of companies
                > looked at them and said, "No thanks." Hasbro shot themselves in the foot
                > on that.
                >
                > Think they're still forbidding software, though.

                You are correct Keith, the revised GSL did not remove the restriction on software.

                Eric Smith
                PR Silverback
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
                  For those of you who may not know about it, and are fed up with WotC and 4th
                  Edition, Paizo has continued support for the 3.x D&D system with their
                  Pathfinder RPG and adventure path product lines.

                  They have a free online Game Reference Document:
                  http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

                  and you can find all relevant products here:
                  http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG

                  Best of all, it's fully supported by PCgen!

                  Hope you find this useful.

                  -Dave

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
                    And of course we are continuing to support the 3.x line in its native form,
                    and in modified forms along with support for FantasyCraft.

                    On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Dave <countbuggula@...> wrote:

                    > For those of you who may not know about it, and are fed up with WotC and
                    > 4th
                    > Edition, Paizo has continued support for the 3.x D&D system with their
                    > Pathfinder RPG and adventure path product lines.
                    >
                    > They have a free online Game Reference Document:
                    > http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/
                    >
                    > and you can find all relevant products here:
                    > http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG
                    >
                    > Best of all, it's fully supported by PCgen!
                    >
                    > Hope you find this useful.
                    >
                    > -Dave

                  • red_eyed_antipaladin
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                      Sorry, just wanted to check something Does this mean there will be a FantasyCraft PCGen data set, or just that the necessary functions to build a data set exist in PCGen?

                      (I worked on the short-lived Spycraft 2.0 dataset, and I remember a significant limitation around maximum skill ranks being hardcoded, among other things.)

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009

                        I can't answer the first portion, but the Max Skill Ranks aren't as hardcoded as is believed. You may add a variable to the gamemode which will allow you to change the max rank for a certain character.

                        - Andrew

                        ________________________________
                        Sorry, just wanted to check something Does this mean there will be a FantasyCraft PCGen data set, or just that the necessary functions to build a data set exist in PCGen?

                        (I worked on the short-lived Spycraft 2.0 dataset, and I remember a significant limitation around maximum skill ranks being hardcoded, among other things.)

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Thompson <thompsonjm@...> wrote:

                        > And of course we are continuing to support the 3.x line in its native form,
                        > and in modified forms along with support for FantasyCraft.

                        ------------------------------------

                        Related Lists
                        PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Eddy Anthony
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                          Andrew Maitland scribed:

                          > I can't answer the first portion, but the Max Skill Ranks aren't as hardcoded
                          > as is believed. You may add a variable to the gamemode which will allow you to
                          > change the max rank for a certain character.

                          Per skill or for all skills?

                          The feature needed for Spycraft was the ability to add ranks beyond the max
                          ranks for specific skills.
                          --
                          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                          ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                            It's global across the board. Individual skill support would either need code work or could be done in data but that would be a lot of work around... still doable if you really wanted it...

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                              With the sheer number of products we are releasing for FC, then FC support
                              would be favorable for BPI.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                                Eddy, it's been a few years, so my memory grows dim. What was the reason we discontinued the Psycraft set? Code limitations, or the publisher's wishes? If the latter, what are our chances of getting permission for FC?

                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                                  Sorry, that should obviously have read 'Spycraft'. The keyboard gremlins are out in force today.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                                    I'd prefer not to disclose details in order to keep the trust I hope we have
                                    earned with the publishers, we have always had a policy of honoring
                                    publishers wishes and this case was no different. I don't know about
                                    FantasyCraft, we've not spoken with Crafty since it was released but I've
                                    asked our Publisher Liaison, Eric Smith, to see if he could check in with
                                    them.

                                    I'd be interested to know how many on this list would use a FantasyCraft
                                    dataset if one were available?

                                    Michael Swadling scribed:

                                    --
                                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                    ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
                                    ~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru
                                  • John Carrington
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 4, 2009
                                      I would definitely be interested in a Fantasy Craft data set - huge help
                                      in character generation.

                                      AJC

                                      On 12/3/2009 10:53 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                                      > I'd prefer not to disclose details in order to keep the trust I hope we have
                                      > earned with the publishers, we have always had a policy of honoring
                                      > publishers wishes and this case was no different. I don't know about
                                      > FantasyCraft, we've not spoken with Crafty since it was released but I've
                                      > asked our Publisher Liaison, Eric Smith, to see if he could check in with
                                      > them.
                                      >
                                      > I'd be interested to know how many on this list would use a FantasyCraft
                                      > dataset if one were available?
                                      >
                                      > Michael Swadling scribed
                                    • red_eyed_antipaladin
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 11, 2010
                                        Hi Eddy/Eric,

                                        Any further word on this project?

                                        Thanks,

                                        Michael

                                        > I'd prefer not to disclose details in order to keep the trust I hope we have
                                        > earned with the publishers, we have always had a policy of honoring
                                        > publishers wishes and this case was no different. I don't know about
                                        > FantasyCraft, we've not spoken with Crafty since it was released but I've
                                        > asked our Publisher Liaison, Eric Smith, to see if he could check in with
                                        > them.
                                        >
                                        > I'd be interested to know how many on this list would use a FantasyCraft
                                        > dataset if one were available?
                                        >
                                        > Michael Swadling scribed:
                                        >
                                        > > Eddy, it's been a few years, so my memory grows dim. What was the reason we
                                        > > discontinued the Psycraft set? Code limitations, or the publisher's wishes? If
                                        > > the latter, what are our chances of getting permission for FC?
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Thompson <thompsonjm@> wrote:
                                        > >>
                                        > >> With the sheer number of products we are releasing for FC, then FC support
                                        > >> would be favorable for BPI.
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                        > ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
                                        > ~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru

                                      • Hollis McCray
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 14, 2010
                                          On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:55 PM, red_eyed_antipaladin
                                          <alreadydamned@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi Eddy/Eric,
                                          >
                                          > Any further word on this project?

                                          On a related topic, has there ever been any thought as to Mutants &
                                          Masterminds support? Or would that require a separate program?

                                          --
                                          Hollis McCray
                                          Mutant Registration Number #US2002023904

                                          Warning: Proximity to this individual may expose you to the following RPGs:
                                          Fate: http://www.faterpg.com
                                          Mutants & Masterminds: http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com
                                          Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies: http://www.7skies.net/
                                          Please visit these websites in order to protect yourself.
                                        • Eric C Smith
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 14, 2010
                                            Hello Michael,

                                            We do not have any new information for this product.

                                            ~ Eric C Smith (Maredudd)
                                            ~ Documentation 2nd, Data Gibbon
                                            ~ PL Chimp, OGL Gibbon
                                            ~ Tracker Gibbon, Website Tamarin