[pcgen][pathfinder] plea for larger print!

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2009
      A plea, from those of us over 50 (which is probably rather a lot of
      Pathfinder fans!) - the standard output sheet formatting for PCGen uses
      too much small print, and no alternative:

      * feat and special ability text favours small text to fit in boxes,
      rather than larger boxes
      * spell list favours including all information, in tiny or
      even-tinier print, rather than offering any option to (say) print
      just the spell names sorted by level and class...

      Most of us can't read the writing unless we remove spectacles and peer
      close-up ... and those going long-sighted can't even do that!

      Can anyone who understands how PCGen output files help out?

      In our group, we prefer to export to PDF so we can share and e-mail
      sheets before printing...

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2009
        On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Saxum Caribetum
        <saxum.caribetum@...> wrote:
        > A plea, from those of us over 50 (which is probably rather a lot of
        > Pathfinder fans!) - the standard output sheet formatting for PCGen uses
        > too much small print, and no alternative:
        >
        >    * feat and special ability text favours small text to fit in boxes,
        >      rather than larger boxes
        >    * spell list favours including all information, in tiny or
        >      even-tinier print, rather than offering any option to (say) print
        >      just the spell names sorted by level and class...
        >

        > Most of us can't read the writing unless we remove spectacles and peer
        > close-up ... and those going long-sighted can't even do that!
        >

        > Can anyone who understands how PCGen output files help out?
        >
        > In our group, we prefer to export to PDF so we can share and e-mail
        > sheets before printing...

        Wow. That might be hard, or might not. Can you give a dummy picture
        of how you'd like to see the page layout? First thing I would need to
        do a new layout is a mock-up to start laying out tables. A graphic is
        best (use a spread sheet or something similar to just show how the
        page lays out: doesn't need to be fancy, just enough to convey what
        you want).

        Absent that, I'd need to know WHAT parts are important to you. Would
        you rather just have Ability Name and Source, and no Description, or
        ability/feat boxes that take up the whole page (instead of 2 columns),
        or is it something as simple as a larger font on the Names/
        Descriptions?

        If we redid the spell blocks for a PDF, What parts are important
        (Names, Source, maybe DC, or what other bits? Would redoing the
        layout help (I'm not sure I even like the current layout, but it is
        what we've had...)

        Tir Gwaith
        PCGen LST Chimp
      • Susan Dittmar
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2009
          I see another fast option for you. Or at least something to test:

          Create output with one of the html forms (instead of pdf).

          Then open this html with your favorite web browser and use its print
          function with a resize option. With opera for example you can choose A4
          (letter) landscape and magnification of 130% or 150% (144% would be the
          correct value for this purpose). I guess that's possible with most web
          browsers.

          I hope this helps,

          Susan

        • Saxum Caribetum
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2009
            Susan Dittmar wrote:
            > I see another fast option for you. Or at least something to test:
            >
            > Create output with one of the html forms (instead of pdf).
            >
            > Then open this html with your favorite web browser and use its print
            > function with a resize option. With opera for example you can choose A4
            > (letter) landscape and magnification of 130% or 150% (144% would be the
            > correct value for this purpose). I guess that's possible with most web
            > browsers.
            >
            > I hope this helps,
            >
            > Susan

            hmm - that might just work!