batch pdf generation

  • Susan Dittmar
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2009
      Hello folks,

      is there a way to batch-process character files to create *PDF* output?
      I know how to create html-output, but somehow I can't get batch pdf
      generation up and running. Can someone of you help me please? In case it
      matters, I am running linux (openSUSE).

      Thanks in advance,

      Susan

    • eslaf1234
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2009
        You need to do it in two stages. Export base.xml then run fop to produce the pdf. As you are using unix you could do something like

        #!/bin/bash

        PCGENDIR=./pcgen5162RC1

        for pcg
        do
        pcg="$(readlink -f ${pcg})" # Need full path as pcgen.sh changes directory

        # Export base.xml
        ${PCGENDIR}/pcgen.sh -Dpcgen.templatefile="outputsheets/base.xml" \
        -Dpcgen.inputfile="${pcg}" \
        -Dpcgen.outputfile="${pcg%.pcg}.xml"

        # Produce pdf using fop- note classpath setup
        java -classpath "$(echo ${PCGENDIR}/lib/fop/*.jar | sed -e 's/ /:/g')" org.apache.fop.apps.Fop \
        -xml "${pcg%.pcg}.xml" \
        -xsl ${PCGENDIR}/outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/csheet_fantasy_std_blackandwhite.xslt \
        -pdf "${pcg%.pcg}.pdf"
        done

        So run as scriptname.sh ~/.pcgen/characters/Character.pcg. Hopefully that is clear. Note this can take some time, the export can hang for minutes see http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2836931&group_id=25576&atid=384719

        Mark

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

        > Hello folks,
        >
        > is there a way to batch-process character files to create *PDF* output?
        > I know how to create html-output, but somehow I can't get batch pdf
        > generation up and running. Can someone of you help me please? In case it
        > matters, I am running linux (openSUSE).
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Susan

      • Susan Dittmar
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 26, 2009
          Thanks a lot, Mark! I put a variant of this into my Makefile suite, and it
          works like a charm.

          Hooray! With my small and slow laptop it's soooo much easier generating
          output sheet via script than having to remember to call all those steps
          in the GUI each time you edit some character.

          Btw, a big hug to those who worked on making PCGen faster. With my setup
          this change is truely notable!!!

          Susan