[FREQ] - Multiple Classes with Domains

  • ovka
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2009
      Currently, PCGen assumes that all domains come from the same source, and can be selected interchangeably. In the PF rules, a druid can choose an animal companion, or a domain. This domain needs to be tracked separately from cleric domains. It has it's own caster level, and selection progression.

      Using the PF datasets, if you create a Cleric 1/Druid 1 character, and choose the Air domain on the Class Abilities tab, PCGen allows you to select a 3rd domain, and the Air domain is a valid selection. Unfortunately, PCGen allows you to select one of the other domains offered by the cleric's deity instead. Also, when it comes time to add spells to the Prepared Spells list, PCGen only allows selection of a single domain spell. In this case, I think it should allow one from the cleric domains, plus one from the druid domain (two total).

      The solution that is devised for this should also include the ability to have a class that adds a domain to an existing class. That way a prestige class can add an extra domain without allowing the character to select an extra domain spell per level every day.

      These thoughts are just off the top of my head, and would require hashing through on the Experimental list, but ...

      Perhaps the BONUS:DOMAIN tag could be expanded something like this:

      BONUS:DOMAIN|CLASS=Cleric|NUMBER|2

      and the DOMAIN tag that is currently only available in a class file could be made global so that it can be used in abilities, and expanded to include something like this:

      DOMAIN:Class=Cleric,DEITY
      *meaning add all of the deity's domains to the valid, selectable domain list of the cleric class*

      DOMAIN:Class=Druid,Air|Class=SomethingElse,Fire,Water
      *meaning add Air as a valid druid domain, and Fire and Water as valid domains for class SomethingElse*

      DOMAIN:Class=%CHOICE,Earth<tab>BONUS:DOMAIN|CLASS=%CHOICE|NUMBER|1
      *meaning use a chooser to select the class to which the Earth domain should be added as a valid domain selection*

      Of course, any of these tags would need to support PRExx tags.

      Then the domains tab would need to be changed to accomodate mulitple classes. Perhaps it could work similarly to the class and racial abilities subtabs with the list of classes you can add domains to on the right, and the domains you can add to those classes on the left. Deity selection could be on its own tab or subtab (or perhaps a drop-down on the Description and Summary tabs).

      Cheers,

      Sir George Anonymous
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2009
        You've touched on some long standing limitations with Cleric Domains, when I
        was testing the Druid I was unable to select any Domains at all. I didn't
        see a purely data solution so I trackered it to be dealt with post 5.16.2.

        ovka scribed:

        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 2009

          > You've touched on some long standing limitations with Cleric Domains, when I
          > was testing the Druid I was unable to select any Domains at all. I didn't
          > see a purely data solution so I trackered it to be dealt with post 5.16.2.

          I have a data solution, but it's kind of ugly. Rather than granting domains, I have the Druid class grant abilities that grant the same abilities that the cleric domains grant. Then I have a series of SPELLS:xxx Domain|... tags that grant the appropriate spells once per day. To avoid overlaps, each of the Druid "domains" has a !PREDOMAIN tag, and each of the corresponding cleric domains has a !PREABILITY tag.

          It works, and allows the proper selections, but it isn't the best solution. Allowing multiple classes to track their own domains is definately a post 5.16 project.

          Cheers,

          Sir George Anonymous
        • ovka
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 26, 2009
            The data solution I presented requires a small bit of modification. It occurred to me that a character with a given cleric domain should be able to select the same domain as a druid. So a cleric 5/Druid 3 with the fire domain would get 3+WIS fire bolts doing 1d6+2 damage, and 3+WIS fire bolts dong 1d6+1 damage. Animal companion levels would still need to stack.

            This means that in my data solution, you would have to remove the !PREDOMAIN and !PREABILITY tags I mentioned, and have new versions of each of the domain abilities so that the variables could be tracked separately.

            I know this complicates things, but the eventual code solution (6.0?) to this should allow the domains to reference a single version of the abilities, but track the variables individually -- an object oriented approach.

            Cheers,

            Sir George Anonymous