[pcgen][pathfinder] animal companion ability adjustments

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 16, 2009
      OK - creating my first (pcgen/pathfinder) Animal Companion (for a Ranger
      9) using Pathfinder data Set and Pcgen 5.16.2rc1

      * "Other Adj" appears to be wrong for Str/Dex/Con
      * Size is wrong

      PFRPG lists Hawk as "small" ... Hawk Animal Companion is shown as
      "Medium", and the combat stats show a 0 size adjustment.
      (Note: some other companions increase size as they advance companion
      level, but not Hawk).

      I advanced the ranger to L9, then selected a Hawk as the animal companion.
      I was prompted for hit-dice rolls (6 - good!)
      then left to fill in the rest...
      I located the companion ability score increase (companion 4), and
      selected Int.

      Now, before choosing the "Companion Level Increase Choice" (and looking
      it up to work out what it meant!) I also surveyed the Summary page - and
      I am puzzled:

      * base score + race adj = "starting statistics" as listed in PFRPG -
      good!
      * Other Adj lists "1" for Int (from the ability score increase)
      * Other Adj lists 2 for Con - don't understand
      * Other Adj lists 6 for Str - don't understand

      As I read the PFRPG table on p.52, I expect to see a Companion 4 have

      * 6 HD (yes)
      * BAB 4 (yes)
      * saves 5/5/2 (+mods) (yes)
      * skills 6, feats 3 (yes - though not yet filled in)
      * natural armor bonus +4, so Hawk (1+4 = 5) (yes)
      * Str/Dex bonus "+2"
      * bonus tricks 3

      None of that explains an Other Adj of Str +6, Con +2
      I have not yet chosen between Companion Level Increase Choice of "stat
      increase" Dex +2, Con +2 or "regular increase" Hawk Str +2, Con +2. ...
      and if I choose either of those the stated adds are added... so I'm not
      seeing those.

      I expect to see Other Adj Str 2, Dex 2.
      I Don't expect +6 Str (and even a reading of the additions in the
      Str/Dex column as cumulative does not extlain "6")
      I don't expect a Con increase
      I expect, but don't see a Dex increase.

      I am forced to suspect a BUG (!) ... unless someone can explain how I am
      mis-reading the PFRPG p.52.

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

    • Saxum Caribetum
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 28, 2009
        *BUMP*

        to simplify and reproduce this, I tried the following

        * new PC, stats 15,14,13,12,10,8, CG, Human, Ranger
        (or don't bother, accept 10,10,10,10,10,10 and ignore whinge)
        * increase level to 4 using + button
        * save file
        * feats & abilities, select animal companion
        * inventory, select Hawk. Call it "New1a" to match "New1"
        * save

        you can close & re-open here if you like.

        *** rather odd that the newly added companion has Companion Level (2). Hmmm
        re-open new1, new1a - note Abilities etc are just as on PFRPG p.53

        Add +1 level of ranger to New1
        Save, close & re-open files -- no change to companion.

        Add +1 ranger level to New1 - should get bonus to companion
        Save, close & re-open

        New1a companion has gained +1 Str, +1 Dex - just like in PFRPG.

        Add a 7th level of ranger to New1, save etc
        re-open -- OOPS! Companin bonus is no longer Str +1, Dex +1, but is now
        Str +5, Dex -1, Con +2

        Same result if open the L6, add L7, and switch to companion and
        Inventory "update from master"

        --
        Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 28, 2009
          Confirmed, the reason for the unexplained stat adjustments are because your
          Hawk is now medium sized! The bug is that the Hawk should not be getting the
          size increase as so many other do. We'll get this fixed up.

          Saxum Caribetum scribed:

          > *BUMP*
          >
          > to simplify and reproduce this, I tried the following
          >
          > * new PC, stats 15,14,13,12,10,8, CG, Human, Ranger
          > (or don't bother, accept 10,10,10,10,10,10 and ignore whinge)
          > * increase level to 4 using + button
          > * save file
          > * feats & abilities, select animal companion
          > * inventory, select Hawk. Call it "New1a" to match "New1"
          > * save
          >
          > you can close & re-open here if you like.
          >
          > *** rather odd that the newly added companion has Companion Level (2). Hmmm
          > re-open new1, new1a - note Abilities etc are just as on PFRPG p.53
          >
          > Add +1 level of ranger to New1
          > Save, close & re-open files -- no change to companion.
          >
          > Add +1 ranger level to New1 - should get bonus to companion
          > Save, close & re-open
          >
          > New1a companion has gained +1 Str, +1 Dex - just like in PFRPG.

          > Add a 7th level of ranger to New1, save etc
          > re-open -- OOPS! Companin bonus is no longer Str +1, Dex +1, but is now
          > Str +5, Dex -1, Con +2
          >
          > Same result if open the L6, add L7, and switch to companion and
          > Inventory "update from master"

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 28, 2009
            Fixing it now

            Since I'm already working in the file.

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 28, 2009
              Completed: At revision: 11089

              I sent the corrected files to the OP for confirmation they work as
              expected on his end.

              Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

              Andrew Maitland wrote:
              > Fixing it now
              >
              > Since I'm already working in the file.
              >
              > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
              >

              > Eddy Anthony wrote:
              >
              >> Confirmed, the reason for the unexplained stat adjustments are because your
              >> Hawk is now medium sized! The bug is that the Hawk should not be getting the
              >> size increase as so many other do. We'll get this fixed up.
              >>
              >> Saxum Caribetum scribed:
              >>

              >>> *BUMP*
              >>>
              >>> to simplify and reproduce this, I tried the following
              >>>
              >>> * new PC, stats 15,14,13,12,10,8, CG, Human, Ranger
              >>> (or don't bother, accept 10,10,10,10,10,10 and ignore whinge)
              >>> * increase level to 4 using + button
              >>> * save file
              >>> * feats & abilities, select animal companion
              >>> * inventory, select Hawk. Call it "New1a" to match "New1"
              >>> * save
              >>>
              >>> you can close & re-open here if you like.
              >>>
              >>> *** rather odd that the newly added companion has Companion Level (2). Hmmm
              >>> re-open new1, new1a - note Abilities etc are just as on PFRPG p.53
              >>>
              >>> Add +1 level of ranger to New1
              >>> Save, close & re-open files -- no change to companion.
              >>>
              >>> Add +1 ranger level to New1 - should get bonus to companion
              >>> Save, close & re-open
              >>>
              >>> New1a companion has gained +1 Str, +1 Dex - just like in PFRPG.
              >>>
              >>> ******************************************
              >>> Add a 7th level of ranger to New1, save etc
              >>> re-open -- OOPS! Companin bonus is no longer Str +1, Dex +1, but is now
              >>> Str +5, Dex -1, Con +2
              >>> ******************************************
              >>>
              >>> Same result if open the L6, add L7, and switch to companion and
              >>> Inventory "update from master"

              > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

            • Saxum Caribetum
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 29, 2009
                Andrew Maitland wrote:
                > Completed: At revision: 11089
                >

                > I sent the corrected files to the OP for confirmation they work as
                > expected on his end.

                sorry - no, the jump from Rgr 6 to Rgr 7 still flips the size-influenced
                stats on the Hawk.

                I took safe copies of the 2 files you sent, then moved the 2 you sent into
                C:\Program
                Files\PCGen\PCGen5161\data\alpha\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook

                started PCGen, quickly whipped up the previous Rgr 6, and then a new
                one, and advanced to Rgr 7, and the exact same problem occurs.

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 29, 2009
                  Saxum Caribetum wrote:
                  > Andrew Maitland wrote:
                  >
                  >> Completed: At revision: 11089
                  >>

                  >> I sent the corrected files to the OP for confirmation they work as
                  >> expected on his end.
                  >>

                  > sorry - no, the jump from Rgr 6 to Rgr 7 still flips the size-influenced
                  > stats on the Hawk.
                  >
                  > I took safe copies of the 2 files you sent, then moved the 2 you sent into
                  > C:\Program
                  > Files\PCGen\PCGen5161\data\alpha\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook
                  >
                  > started PCGen, quickly whipped up the previous Rgr 6, and then a new
                  > one, and advanced to Rgr 7, and the exact same problem occurs.
                  >

                  >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                  >> Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                  >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                  >>

                  >> Andrew Maitland wrote:
                  >>

                  >>> Fixing it now
                  >>>
                  >>> Since I'm already working in the file.
                  >>>
                  >>> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                  >>> Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                  >>> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                  and a quick further check -- the character sheet tab does indeed show
                  the Hawk advancing from Small to medium at Rgr 7
                  Ugh!

                  --
                  Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 29, 2009
                    Good grief... I just tested it after I sent it to you... Uhg... Stand by
                    and I'll send you the latest revision changes...

                    And then this tired monkey needs to be in bed (well, should've been in
                    bed a few hours ago, but hey, being sick throws off the body clock).

                    Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                    Saxum Caribetum wrote:
                    > Saxum Caribetum wrote:
                    >
                    >> Andrew Maitland wrote:
                    >>

                    >>> Completed: At revision: 11089
                    >>>

                    >>> I sent the corrected files to the OP for confirmation they work as
                    >>> expected on his end.
                    >>>

                    >> sorry - no, the jump from Rgr 6 to Rgr 7 still flips the size-influenced
                    >> stats on the Hawk.
                    >>
                    >> I took safe copies of the 2 files you sent, then moved the 2 you sent into
                    >> C:\Program
                    >> Files\PCGen\PCGen5161\data\alpha\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook
                    >>
                    >> started PCGen, quickly whipped up the previous Rgr 6, and then a new
                    >> one, and advanced to Rgr 7, and the exact same problem occurs.
                    >>

                    >>> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                    >>> Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                    >>> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                    > and a quick further check -- the character sheet tab does indeed show
                    > the Hawk advancing from Small to medium at Rgr 7
                    > Ugh!

                  • Saxum Caribetum
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 29, 2009
                      Andrew Maitland wrote:
                      > Good grief... I just tested it after I sent it to you... Uhg... Stand by
                      > and I'll send you the latest revision changes...
                      >
                      > And then this tired monkey needs to be in bed (well, should've been in
                      > bed a few hours ago, but hey, being sick throws off the body clock).
                      >
                      > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                      > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                      And there was me thinking it was turning into a pleasant sunny morning
                      (10am) after a heavy rain shower. Being on GMT puts me in a wholly
                      different world from the PCGen Monkeys)

                      --
                      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 29, 2009
                        Yes, most of us monkeys are in the -0500 to -0800 time zones, 10am is
                        less than 8 hours from now for me. Though we do have a few Aussie
                        Monkeys, and a few UK Monkeys....

                        Must say it does make it hard to get everyone together for a meeting though.

                        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 29, 2009
                          k, three files sent for re-review.

                          G'night.

                          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 29, 2009
                            Andrew Maitland wrote:
                            > k, three files sent for re-review.
                            >
                            > G'night.
                            >
                            > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                            > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                            sorry - still grows to Medium and stats shoot off sideways.
                            maybe tomorrow?

                            * unzip and open New1.pcg (The Ranger), New1a.pcg (His Hawk)
                            * select tab New1, use [+] to add a new level (7th) of Ranger
                            * switch to New1a, Inventory Tab, Resources, Update from Master...
                            Str shoots to 15, dex drops etc.

                            Switch back to Summary tab and the new mods are revealed. Switch to
                            Character tab and size shows as Medium.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 29, 2009