Updating old files

  • Matthew
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
      Hey,
      I haven't been keeping up to date on my PCGen, mainly because we moved off to a gurps game awhile back. However, we're starting up pathfinder next week, and I'd like to get my pcgen set up again and use the new pathfinder beta datasets. I downloaded the most recent version (5161).

      However, I'm having some issues. My old datasets I bought for Wizards Completes line, as well as custom files, are not working. They all get kicked out as bad files.

      I can load them in 5.10.1 (the version I was using last year). I'm assuming the files are in a different format and the newer PCGEN doesn't recognize the older format? Is there a way to convert those files? I'd hate to lose them. :(

      On a second note, I'm wondering if anyone ever wrote a GUI interface to automate creating data files? IE: Type in feat name and text and have it write it to a custom data file in the correct format?
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
        Hi Matt,

        You'll need to use the converters to bring your old CMP Data Sets up to par.
        Going off the top of my head - You'll need to use PrettyLst to convert
        them from 5.10 to 5.12, the Barak's script to bring them from 5.12 to
        5.14. Beyond that, PCGen has a Converter to bring older sets (5.14
        forward) to the present.

        Although, the one problem you will encounter even bring those sets
        forward, is they aren't maintained by CMP anymore, which means they
        aren't taking advantage of the newer features PCGen offers.

        You'll need to do manual editing to take advantage of abilities, and such.

        For your second note - the editor is getting an overhaul and such things
        should be possible.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        Matthew wrote:
        > Hey,
        > I haven't been keeping up to date on my PCGen, mainly because we moved off to a gurps game awhile back. However, we're starting up pathfinder next week, and I'd like to get my pcgen set up again and use the new pathfinder beta datasets. I downloaded the most recent version (5161).
        >
        > However, I'm having some issues. My old datasets I bought for Wizards Completes line, as well as custom files, are not working. They all get kicked out as bad files.
        >
        > I can load them in 5.10.1 (the version I was using last year). I'm assuming the files are in a different format and the newer PCGEN doesn't recognize the older format? Is there a way to convert those files? I'd hate to lose them. :(
        >
        > On a second note, I'm wondering if anyone ever wrote a GUI interface to automate creating data files? IE: Type in feat name and text and have it write it to a custom data file in the correct format?

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • Matthew
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
          Ugh,
          Sounds like it may be more trouble than it's worth. :( And as if the converted files may not even work properly after they are converted?
          The editor? So it did get written. That's great. Any idea when it will be finished? And what all will it allow you to enter? Hopefully feats, equipment, races, templates, spells?

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            Matthew wrote:
            > Ugh,
            > Sounds like it may be more trouble than it's worth. :(

            Well, that's the unfortunate truth. If you need help doing it, myself
            and few others are always willing to give the pointers or directions.
            > And as if the converted files may not even work properly after they are converted?

            They work fine for the most part. A little fine tuning is needed in some
            odd corner cases.
            > The editor? So it did get written. That's great. Any idea when it will be finished? And what all will it allow you to enter? Hopefully feats, equipment, races, templates, spells?

            The editor is currently being looked at, and worked on. When these
            things actually get finished is always at the pace of the volunteer
            working on it. All I can say is,
            a) it's being worked on,
            b) progress is being made,
            c) lots of time and effort are being put into it.
            d) it will include everything that the current editor supports

            That's my vague answer since I'm not the one working on it. ;) If I'm
            actually working on a project I can give a better time line, based of
            course on my best estimates... All I can say is give us plenty of time
            to get a nice polished product to you.

            > <SNIP>
          • Matthew
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
              > Matthew wrote:
              > > Ugh,
              > > Sounds like it may be more trouble than it's worth. :(
              >
              > Well, that's the unfortunate truth. If you need help doing it, myself
              > and few others are always willing to give the pointers or directions.

              Thanks, kind of late tonight, but I'll see what I can do later this week, I'll post if I need help. :) I will be posting. :)

              > The editor is currently being looked at, and worked on. When these
              > things actually get finished is always at the pace of the volunteer
              > working on it. All I can say is,
              > a) it's being worked on,
              > b) progress is being made,
              > c) lots of time and effort are being put into it.
              > d) it will include everything that the current editor supports
              >
              > That's my vague answer since I'm not the one working on it. ;) If I'm
              > actually working on a project I can give a better time line, based of
              > course on my best estimates... All I can say is give us plenty of time
              > to get a nice polished product to you.

              Fair enough. :)

              One other question, 5161 seems to only have the Beta Playtest version of Pathfinder in it. I was under the impression you were testing the new release version of Pathfinder? Or are you still only working on the original beta playtest version? IE: PF Core vs PF Playtest Beta?
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
                Last answer cause I'm up waayyyy past my bed time.

                Pathfinder is available as an OOC download from the SF site...

                We are currently on release 3, you'll need to remove the conditional
                skills workaround block or you'll have freezing issues.

                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin