Windows 7 and PCGen?

  • V
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
      Hi. I'm trying to use PCGen on Windows 7 build 7100, and I can't really get it to run. I can run it if I run the .jar, but the .bats aren't even recognized as valid programs, and extensive googling has not yielded any solutions. When I *do* run the .jar, it's extremely slow and locks up at the slightest provocation, no matter what I try to do. Is there anything I can try?
    • Darrell D
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
        You using the 64 bit version?

        I had to do this with it:

        1) Create a pcgen.cmd file with the following in it:

        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Dswing.aatext=true -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\PCGen\PCGen5161\pcgen.jar"

        2) Put the pcgen.cmd file in your C:\program files (x86)\pcgen\pcgen5161\ directory.

        3) Change your shortcut link to the pcgen.cmd file.

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "V" <viana_qoh@...> wrote:

        > Hi. I'm trying to use PCGen on Windows 7 build 7100, and I can't really get it to run. I can run it if I run the .jar, but the .bats aren't even recognized as valid programs, and extensive googling has not yielded any solutions. When I *do* run the .jar, it's extremely slow and locks up at the slightest provocation, no matter what I try to do. Is there anything I can try?

      • davisb97
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2009
          An easier solution is that it seems that PCGEN doesn't recoginize the java links if you don't already have JRE installed when you install PCGEN. Had exact same problem
          I got my win7 to install by uninstalling PCGEN. Installing JRE. REBOOT. (must reboot) and then installing PCGEN. Then all the links worked fine.