Bug: Pathfinder Release 3. Locks on adding level to Rogue.

  • Darrell D
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
      I've been playing with this program for the first time and it's a great tool. Many thanks to all those who have worked so hard on this!

      But one of my players is having a tough time creating their Rogue because it locks up every time they attempt to add a level. I've verified this on Vista 64, Win7 64, and XP x86.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
        I'm beginning to really dislike the x64 versions of windows OS.

        Two things that can be the cause

        Pathfinder conditional Skills.... If you edit that file place a # in
        front of the following section (Last section line numbers 26 through 34-
        example...

        ###Block: Workaround lack of Skill Ranks in chosen skill
        #Acrobatics.MOD BONUS:SKILL|Acrobatics (Jump)|-1|
        #Appraise.MOD BONUS:SKILL|Appraise (Precious metals and gemstones)|-1|

        Save and try again.

        We are working on getting that fixed in the next release of Pathfinder.

        Another thing that might be an issue - check out this page, this is for
        OS specific problems.

        http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=FAQ_and_Help

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        Darrell D wrote:
        > I've been playing with this program for the first time and it's a great tool. Many thanks to all those who have worked so hard on this!
        >
        > But one of my players is having a tough time creating their Rogue because it locks up every time they attempt to add a level. I've verified this on Vista 64, Win7 64, and XP x86.

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
          There is a problem with the Pathfinder 3 datasets that involves
          conditional skills and what to do is being discussed, as a work around
          do the following with a text only editor (notepad for windows).

          In the following file:
          PCGen\data\alpha\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook\pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook_skills_conditional.lst

          comment out the third 'block' of data lines by putting a # in front of
          each line. The ' block heading' is:
          ###Block: Workaround lack of Skill Ranks in chosen skill

          David
          Papa.DRB

          Grognard (definition 1)
          My better half and me

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
            Andrew/David,

            Thanks for the head's-up I saw the discussion with some of the skills but I thought this was something else. It may be worth mentioning, since 64 bit windows was brought up as a culprit, that it is locking up 32bit XP too.

            It also looks like Notepad under Win7 is opening the .lst file as one huge chunk of text... Not sure if Wordpad is formatting it correctly (it's not one big block of text but I don't think it's broken up like it's supposed to) so I'll probably have to try the editing on another computer with Notepad under XP.

            What's the functionality that's lost when editing out the "conditional" skills? I want to make sure that the player works around it properly.

            Thanks again.