Class skills in template, help!

  • matthew.boulton@btopenworld.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 30, 2009
      I apologise if the answer to this is already available, I've had a search and not come across anything though.
      I'm creating a custom template quite happily but I want to add some skills as part of the template and for those skills then to become permanent class skills regardless of any class levels taken.
      I've found how to give ranks in skills and feats and everything else I want to do, just left with this one stumbling block.
      I'm using Pcgen 5161 and, if it makes any difference, the template is for D20 modern, working solely from the core rulebook.
      Any help will be much appreciated.
    • herzogaldilkassach
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 30, 2009
        according to the doc's that should work as you have explained.

        NB: when adding the CSKILL tag in a class file, they become class skills.
        when adding the CSKILL tag in a domain file, it becomes a class skill for classes that grant the domain.

        anywere else it should become a class skill for all the classes you have.

        not sure about classes added afterwards though. You'd have to try that out.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 30, 2009
          Hi Folks,

          herzogaldilkassach wrote:
          > according to the doc's that should work as you have explained.
          >
          > NB: when adding the CSKILL tag in a class file, they become class skills.
          > when adding the CSKILL tag in a domain file, it becomes a class skill for classes that grant the domain.
          >
          > anywere else it should become a class skill for all the classes you have.
          >
          > not sure about classes added afterwards though. You'd have to try that out.
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "matthew.boulton@..." <matthew.boulton@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I apologise if the answer to this is already available, I've had a search and not come across anything though.
          >> I'm creating a custom template quite happily but I want to add some skills as part of the template and for those skills then to become permanent class skills regardless of any class levels taken.
          >> I've found how to give ranks in skills and feats and everything else I want to do, just left with this one stumbling block.
          >> I'm using Pcgen 5161 and, if it makes any difference, the template is for D20 modern, working solely from the core rulebook.
          >> Any help will be much appreciated.

          CSKILL:Skill Name|Skill Name 2|Skill Name (Subskill)

          That will globally apply those skills as class skills to any class,
          regardless of when they are added. It can be done using a Template or
          Ability. Used in a Class File it will only apply to the class it's within.

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        • matthew.boulton@btopenworld.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
            All sorted then, thank you very much for the help :)

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
              Assuming I've read the replies correctly I now have a string which reads:
              CSKILL:Jump|Climb|Balance

              When I try to add that to a template I get the "The entered Tag Value is not valid"

              I guess I'm missing something obvious but I can't figure out what!
              Just in case I'm doing something utterly daft I'm entering this in the template editor, advanced tab.

              Thanks for the help.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
                Template Name <tab> CSKILL:Jump|Climb|Balance

                That's all that's required for the function you want. However, you can add

                VISIBLE:DISPLAY
                so it doesn't show up on the character sheet, but will display in the GUI.

                Now, you've mentioned your working with the Lst Editor, so you may have
                encountered a bug.

                I'll see if I can replicate and if so, open a bug for you...

                If that's the case, a simple text editor can solve this problem by
                adding that to a template file that you load with your data.

                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
                  Thank you for the help, manual editing's sorted the problem.
                  Strangely I was able to add the CSKILL line into a different template using the lst editor but then couldn't in another. It may well have been me doing something wrong rather than a bug though, I'm kinda new to custom stuff in PCGen!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
                    Hi Matthew,

                    If you find a method of accurately duplicating this problem please post
                    it here. That way our coders can fix the problem. And save the next guy
                    coming behind you a lot of trouble.

                    Glad you were able to get it fixed.

                    Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin