Re: [pcgen] No forums?

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
      Mark Arnold wrote:

      Hi Mark,
      > Hi Guys,
      > I quite like the software, but it is fairly complex. It has some niggles
      > and so forth, but anything that fully represents a pen and paper RPG ruleset
      > is going to be complex by its nature. So!

      Yeah, supporting the various incarnations of several generations of d20,
      from 3e first incarnation, to 3.5 and all that has come since, it's been
      an interesting road. PCGen has continued to make strides and bounds.
      We've still got a nice road ahead of us to what we can accomplish and
      get PCGen to do. But in the mean time, we can support thousands of
      published material today.
      > I was wondering - why on earth are there not forums for this?

      Yahoo groups is the best solution at hand. Some people want a forum like
      quality (Which the web interface provides) others like the mailing
      solution (which I'm fond of). However, we have several projects on the
      burner - we had a drupal attempt, but the support/features just weren't
      up to spec for us. Now, we are trying Joomla, unfortunately the main guy
      for that has been very busy, and the other qualified guy is working on
      pcgen bug stomping (And I really don't want to pull a coder to work on a
      plugin).
      > This mailing list is a very poor substitute.

      *ducks for cover* For the incoming firestorm. The forum vs. mailing list
      is a very hot button issue. Yahoo is the middle ground people agreed on.
      Until we have a solution that provides both functionality and features
      better than Yahoo, we're stuck with what we have.

      Now, before we do get fireworks, let me say that everyone is entitled to
      their opinion. We work with what is best for the majority of the
      community. We have tireless monkeys who stay on top of keeping the
      documentation up to date. If you can't find an answer in the docs, then
      you ask here. Myself and several other monkeys are up at all hours of
      the day (Gotta love being international) who can answer questions, offer
      advice or even change the program. This is a wonderful program/project
      that exists because of volunteers. Which means we go at the pace of a
      volunteer organization. If you have suggestions, or are willing to
      donate time, expertise or anything else helpful, then I'm all ears. The
      best thing people can give us, is time and help. That means something is
      being worked on. So which team did you want to volunteer for ? :)

      > - Mark

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
        > I was wondering - why on earth are there not forums for this?  This mailing
        > list is a very poor substitute.

        That's been a hot topic. I'll do a good summation.. There are a
        number of developers that won't bother with a forum (I won't even
        visit one because it eats up time navigating that I'd rather spend on
        something else), but will follow an email list. We haven't found a
        forum solution that does both, so we're sticking with the method we
        have.

        Tir Gwaith
        PCGen LST Chimp
      • Anestis Kozakis
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
          2009/10/7 Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...>:
          >> I was wondering - why on earth are there not forums for this?  This mailing
          >> list is a very poor substitute.
          >
          > That's been a hot topic.  I'll do a good summation..  There are a
          > number of developers that won't bother with a forum (I won't even
          > visit one because it eats up time navigating that I'd rather spend on
          > something else), but will follow an email list.  We haven't found a
          > forum solution that does both, so we're sticking with the method we
          > have.
          >
          > Tir Gwaith
          > PCGen LST Chimp

          With e-mail lists, the e-mails come to you into your e-mail client and
          to your computer, and you cna quickly delete multiple messages in one
          hit that you don't wish to read.

          Forums, you have to go to them, navigate the various threads and
          topics, and it eats up a lot of time.

          Just my opinion.

          --
          Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@... | http://www.akozakis.id.au/
        • Andrew Wilson
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
            2009/10/7 Mark Arnold <marnoldster@...>:
            > I was wondering - why on earth are there not forums for this?  This mailing
            > list is a very poor substitute.

            Mostly because forums are a big sucky time drain with a crap interface.

            They're a mailing list done wrong.

            YMMV.

            andrew
          • mark_cstrike
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
              Wow I'm flabbergasted... I've never heard of people being anti-forum before. I can tell you as a newcomer - they're sorely needed. I can tell you as someone who uses forums for every other product he has ever touched, a mailing list is a real pain.

              You guys run the show, so its up to you, but from MY point of view I'm going to miss out on everything PCgen because I don't have the inclination to read every post that comes buzzing this way, and would have preferred to cut through the chaff with topical browsing and searching, honing in on stickies, and reviewing interesting tidbits and historical notes.

              Sorry, didn't want to start a war, so I won't go any further into the whys and why nots. A mailing list aint for me though.

              > Mark Arnold wrote:
              >
              > Hi Mark,
              > > Hi Guys,
              > > I quite like the software, but it is fairly complex. It has some niggles
              > > and so forth, but anything that fully represents a pen and paper RPG ruleset
              > > is going to be complex by its nature. So!
              > >

              > Yeah, supporting the various incarnations of several generations of d20,
              > from 3e first incarnation, to 3.5 and all that has come since, it's been
              > an interesting road. PCGen has continued to make strides and bounds.
              > We've still got a nice road ahead of us to what we can accomplish and
              > get PCGen to do. But in the mean time, we can support thousands of
              > published material today.
              > > I was wondering - why on earth are there not forums for this?
              >
              > Yahoo groups is the best solution at hand. Some people want a forum like
              > quality (Which the web interface provides) others like the mailing
              > solution (which I'm fond of). However, we have several projects on the
              > burner - we had a drupal attempt, but the support/features just weren't
              > up to spec for us. Now, we are trying Joomla, unfortunately the main guy
              > for that has been very busy, and the other qualified guy is working on
              > pcgen bug stomping (And I really don't want to pull a coder to work on a
              > plugin).
              > > This mailing list is a very poor substitute.
              > >

              > *ducks for cover* For the incoming firestorm. The forum vs. mailing list
              > is a very hot button issue. Yahoo is the middle ground people agreed on.
              > Until we have a solution that provides both functionality and features
              > better than Yahoo, we're stuck with what we have.
              >
              > Now, before we do get fireworks, let me say that everyone is entitled to
              > their opinion. We work with what is best for the majority of the
              > community. We have tireless monkeys who stay on top of keeping the
              > documentation up to date. If you can't find an answer in the docs, then
              > you ask here. Myself and several other monkeys are up at all hours of
              > the day (Gotta love being international) who can answer questions, offer
              > advice or even change the program. This is a wonderful program/project
              > that exists because of volunteers. Which means we go at the pace of a
              > volunteer organization. If you have suggestions, or are willing to
              > donate time, expertise or anything else helpful, then I'm all ears. The
              > best thing people can give us, is time and help. That means something is
              > being worked on. So which team did you want to volunteer for ? :)
              >
              > > - Mark
              > >

              > --
              >
              > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            • Michael W. Fender
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
                Accessing file 31980.7503.26808

                Data from user mark is as follows:

                > Sorry, didn't want to start a war

                Shucks, you didn't start a war.
                --
                Fluxxdog

                think.
              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
                  On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 8:33 AM, mark_cstrike <marnoldster@...> wrote:
                  > Wow I'm flabbergasted... I've never heard of people being anti-forum before.  I can tell you as a newcomer - they're sorely needed.  I can tell you as someone who uses forums for every other product he has ever touched, a mailing list is a real pain.

                  It is a matter of support. We have more depth on the team than we
                  used to, but it is still thin, and all volunteer. Forums take more
                  effort from the support side, both maintaining the forums (we'd have
                  to host, etc.) and for the various support ppl to wade through and
                  cover questions.

                  We have been working on a solution that will allow forum abilities,
                  without hurting the efficiency for (or driving off) our team.

                  Tir Gwaith
                  PCGen LST Chimp
                • Brad Stiles
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
                    Whatever solution that Baen Books uses for their forums (bar.baen.com)
                    does both. I am told, however, that the forum side of that really
                    sucks...

                    I've often wondered what it would take to use an existing mailing list
                    solution, and expose some of the internals so that a BBS could access
                    the mail.

                    On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
                    >> I was wondering - why on earth are there not forums for this?  This mailing
                    >> list is a very poor substitute.
                    >
                    > That's been a hot topic.  I'll do a good summation..  There are a
                    > number of developers that won't bother with a forum (I won't even
                    > visit one because it eats up time navigating that I'd rather spend on
                    > something else), but will follow an email list.  We haven't found a
                    > forum solution that does both, so we're sticking with the method we
                    > have.
                    >
                    > Tir Gwaith
                    > PCGen LST Chimp

                    > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                  • karianna03
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 8, 2009
                      We haven't found a solution that works adequately yet, it seems nobody else in the world has our exact requirements, which means we need to custom build in some sort of system which we have no volunteers for, so at the moment, it's status quo.

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Brad Stiles <bradley.stiles@...> wrote:

                      > Whatever solution that Baen Books uses for their forums (bar.baen.com)
                      > does both. I am told, however, that the forum side of that really
                      > sucks...
                      >
                      > I've often wondered what it would take to use an existing mailing list
                      > solution, and expose some of the internals so that a BBS could access
                      > the mail.
                      >
                      > On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
                      > >> I was wondering - why on earth are there not forums for this?  This mailing
                      > >> list is a very poor substitute.
                      > >
                      > > That's been a hot topic.  I'll do a good summation..  There are a
                      > > number of developers that won't bother with a forum (I won't even
                      > > visit one because it eats up time navigating that I'd rather spend on
                      > > something else), but will follow an email list.  We haven't found a
                      > > forum solution that does both, so we're sticking with the method we
                      > > have.
                      > >
                      > > Tir Gwaith
                      > > PCGen LST Chimp
                      > >

                      > > ------------------------------------
                      > >
                      > > Related Lists

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Jeff Miller
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 8, 2009
                        I prefer mailing lists, myself.

                        karianna03 wrote:

                        > We haven't found a solution that works adequately yet, it seems nobody
                        > else in the world has our exact requirements, which means we need to
                        > custom build in some sort of system which we have no volunteers for,
                        > so at the moment, it's status quo.

                        Jeff Miller
                        http://businesscredittips.weebly.com
                        Voice: 949-249-3673