Re: [pcgen] [Mac User] Magic Item Creation/Item Customization

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
      Keith Coon wrote:
      > Is there any documentation for creating/customizing magic items? I
      > looked at the PCGen html documentation and couldn't find anything.
      >
      > I'm trying to start simple with a ring that gives +4 skill bonus
      > (Spellcraft) that will be added into the skill total when properly
      > equipped. I know it should probably be easy, but I don't find
      > anywhere in the customization popup to make such a change.
      >
      > Sorry for all the newb questions, but I'm really excited about finally
      > having a character generator for Pathfinder... especially one that
      > works on my Mac.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Keith

      Hi Keith,

      Let me preface this... I don't use a Mac. Normally you right click on
      the item, click customize and then add the appropriate equipment
      modifier. However, this is Windows. I don't use a Mac, which means I
      can't walk you through the steps on getting the menu.

      Once you get into the item customizer, just select the skill bonus,
      choose your skill and how much and you should be good to go.

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
    • Keith Coon
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
        Well, perhaps you could me where that would be found on the windows
        box. When I choose Ring and right click, I get the menu that allows
        me to "Create custom item". Once in that window, I have a left pane
        that has two choices "Add Type" and "Spell Effect". I also have 4
        buttons at the bottom; "Name", "SProp", "Cost", and "Weight".

        Where would you go on Windows to add a skill bonus? I feel if you ran
        through the Windows protocol... I could pick it up. The program can't
        be *that* different between the two versions... can it?

        Keith

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
          Keith Coon wrote:
          > Well, perhaps you could me where that would be found on the windows
          > box. When I choose Ring and right click, I get the menu that allows
          > me to "Create custom item". Once in that window, I have a left pane
          > that has two choices "Add Type" and "Spell Effect". I also have 4
          > buttons at the bottom; "Name", "SProp", "Cost", and "Weight".
          >
          > Where would you go on Windows to add a skill bonus? I feel if you ran
          > through the Windows protocol... I could pick it up. The program can't
          > be *that* different between the two versions... can it?

          Two choices? Odd, you should have a ton more. In mine I can 'choose
          'Skill Bonus (Competence)'' in that box where you see 'add type'
          Click the 'ADD' button in between the two boxes.
          Pop up - What Skill (Choose your Skill)
          Pop up - Choose the Plus of the Bonus
          Change the Name if you desire.
          Hit either 'BUY' to get it direct, or OK. And then just add your new
          item to the character.

          If I was going to code this up by hand:

          Ring (Name of Ring)
          OUTPUTNAME:Ring of [NAME]
          TYPE:Ring.Magic
          BONUS:SKILL|Name of Skill|numeric value

          Ring (Lst Monkey)
          OUTPUTNAME:Ring of [NAME]
          TYPE:Ring.Magic
          BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (Lst Coding)|10

          Would grant a +10 to Knowledge (Lst Coding) to whomever wore the Ring of
          Lst Monkey

          > Keith
          >
          > On Oct 6, 2009, at 3:44 PM, Andrew Maitland wrote:
          >

          >> Keith Coon wrote:
          >>
          >>> Is there any documentation for creating/customizing magic items? I
          >>> looked at the PCGen html documentation and couldn't find anything.
          >>>
          >>> I'm trying to start simple with a ring that gives +4 skill bonus
          >>> (Spellcraft) that will be added into the skill total when properly
          >>> equipped. I know it should probably be easy, but I don't find
          >>> anywhere in the customization popup to make such a change.
          >>>
          >>> Sorry for all the newb questions, but I'm really excited about
          >>>
          >> finally
          >>
          >>> having a character generator for Pathfinder... especially one that
          >>> works on my Mac.
          >>>
          >>> Thanks.
          >>>
          >>> Keith
          >>>

          >> Hi Keith,
          >>
          >> Let me preface this... I don't use a Mac. Normally you right click on
          >> the item, click customize and then add the appropriate equipment
          >> modifier. However, this is Windows. I don't use a Mac, which means I
          >> can't walk you through the steps on getting the menu.
          >>
          >> Once you get into the item customizer, just select the skill bonus,
          >> choose your skill and how much and you should be good to go.
          >>
          >> --
          >>
          >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          >> Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
          >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        • Keith Coon
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
            Can anyone else confirm the lack of special properties list in the Mac
            version compared to the PC version? There is a SProp button at the
            bottom that looks like it would allow me to add a special property
            like a skill bonus, but when I enter anything into the text box...
            nothing appears in the list of two. Is there perhaps a format for
            that text box that I'm unaware of?

            Regardless, you lost me with the code (I wouldn't know where to
            start). Thanks for all your input nonetheless. Maybe some Mac user
            out there has a solution... or at least some commiseration ;)

            Keith

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
              Keith Coon wrote:
              > Can anyone else confirm the lack of special properties list in the Mac
              > version compared to the PC version? There is a SProp button at the
              > bottom that looks like it would allow me to add a special property
              > like a skill bonus, but when I enter anything into the text box...
              > nothing appears in the list of two. Is there perhaps a format for
              > that text box that I'm unaware of?

              That is just a text box to include with the item.
              > Regardless, you lost me with the code (I wouldn't know where to
              > start). Thanks for all your input nonetheless. Maybe some Mac user
              > out there has a solution... or at least some commiseration ;)

              Are you loading rsrd / srd35 complete? or are you just loading the basic
              set?

              If you don't load the complete, or at least the DMG then the magic items
              are NOT included.

              The code I put out is something you can copy/paste into an equipment lst
              file. You'd need to put your skill name and the bonus. And it would need
              to be on one line.

              Anyways, hopefully Eric can answer on the mac side.
              > Keith

            • Eric C Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
                Hi Folks!

                On Oct 6, 2009, at 7:41 PM, Keith Coon wrote:
                > Can anyone else confirm the lack of special properties list in the Mac
                > version compared to the PC version?

                I can confirm that the Mac only sees two items in the customizer
                window. Drew, make sure you are using the Pathfinder set.

                Maredudd
              • Eric C Smith
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
                  Hi Folks!

                  Andrew Maitland wrote:
                  > Are you loading rsrd / srd35 complete? or are you just loading the
                  > basic
                  > set?

                  The OP is using Pathfinder.

                  The problem is the absence of a significant number of eqmods with the
                  TYPE:Ring tag. Compare the RSRD set and the Pathfinder sets eqmod files.

                  Maredudd
                • Eric C Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
                      Eric C Smith wrote:
                      > Hi Folks!
                      >
                      > Andrew Maitland wrote:
                      >
                      >> Are you loading rsrd / srd35 complete? or are you just loading the
                      >> basic
                      >> set?
                      >>

                      > The OP is using Pathfinder.
                      >
                      > The problem is the absence of a significant number of eqmods with the
                      > TYPE:Ring tag. Compare the RSRD set and the Pathfinder sets eqmod files.

                      Gah, well that certainly would do it. Okay, so adding eqmods fun day.
                      > Maredudd

                      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                    • nylanfs
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
                        I don't believe that the Pathfinder equipmods were finished yet were they?

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
                          2873813 Finish EQMODS in Pathfinder
                          <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2873813&group_id=25576&atid=750092>

                        • David R. Bender
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 7, 2009
                            Andrew,

                            You have more than two choices? I am on Windows Vista, and only have the
                            two choices that Keith does also.

                            David
                            Papa.DRB

                            Grognard (definition 1)
                            My better half and me

                            Andrew Maitland wrote:
                            > Keith Coon wrote:
                            >
                            >> Well, perhaps you could me where that would be found on the windows
                            >> box. When I choose Ring and right click, I get the menu that allows
                            >> me to "Create custom item". Once in that window, I have a left pane
                            >> that has two choices "Add Type" and "Spell Effect". I also have 4
                            >> buttons at the bottom; "Name", "SProp", "Cost", and "Weight".
                            >>
                            >> Where would you go on Windows to add a skill bonus? I feel if you ran
                            >> through the Windows protocol... I could pick it up. The program can't
                            >> be *that* different between the two versions... can it?
                            >>

                            > Two choices? Odd, you should have a ton more. In mine I can 'choose
                            > 'Skill Bonus (Competence)'' in that box where you see 'add type'
                            > Click the 'ADD' button in between the two boxes.
                            > Pop up - What Skill (Choose your Skill)
                            > Pop up - Choose the Plus of the Bonus
                            > Change the Name if you desire.
                            > Hit either 'BUY' to get it direct, or OK. And then just add your new
                            > item to the character.
                            >

                            > If I was going to code this up by hand:
                            >
                            > Ring (Name of Ring)
                            > OUTPUTNAME:Ring of [NAME]
                            > TYPE:Ring.Magic
                            > BONUS:SKILL|Name of Skill|numeric value
                            >

                            > Ring (Lst Monkey)
                            > OUTPUTNAME:Ring of [NAME]
                            > TYPE:Ring.Magic
                            > BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (Lst Coding)|10
                            >
                            > Would grant a +10 to Knowledge (Lst Coding) to whomever wore the Ring of
                            > Lst Monkey

                          • Saxum Caribetum
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 7, 2009
                              David R. Bender wrote:
                              > Andrew,
                              >
                              > You have more than two choices? I am on Windows Vista, and only have the
                              > two choices that Keith does also.

                              Windows XP Sp3, PCGen 5.16.1 -- same

                              rigt-click "Ring" in Gear
                              get the dialog "Item Customizer"
                              shows a white background grid control over windows background colour;
                              shows 2 lines in grid: "Add Type" and "Spell Effect (50 Charges/Spell
                              Trigger)"
                              horizontal scroll bar (far right shows "Source" column)

                              at bottom, 4 buttons Name, SProp, Cost, Weight

                              --
                              Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 7, 2009
                                Saxum Caribetum wrote:
                                > David R. Bender wrote:
                                >
                                >> Andrew,
                                >>
                                >> You have more than two choices? I am on Windows Vista, and only have the
                                >> two choices that Keith does also.
                                >>

                                > Windows XP Sp3, PCGen 5.16.1 -- same
                                >
                                > rigt-click "Ring" in Gear
                                > get the dialog "Item Customizer"
                                > shows a white background grid control over windows background colour;
                                > shows 2 lines in grid: "Add Type" and "Spell Effect (50 Charges/Spell
                                > Trigger)"
                                > horizontal scroll bar (far right shows "Source" column)
                                >
                                > at bottom, 4 buttons Name, SProp, Cost, Weight

                                Apparently the EQMODs aren't completed in Pathfinder. In my test I
                                didn't load the Pathfinder set.

                                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin