[midnight]

  • Dom
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 3, 2009

      I would like to manage my PCs in a Midnight Campaign in PCgen.

      But, the data are in 3.0 (in alpha set).

      Can I transfer the data in 3.5?

      Many thanks.

      Dom

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 4, 2009
        Dom wrote:

        Hi Dom,
        > Hi,
        >
        > I would like to manage my PCs in a Midnight Campaign in PCgen.
        >
        > But, the data are in 3.0 (in alpha set).

        Alpha just means it's still a beta set (No real testing).
        > Can I transfer the data in 3.5?

        The 3e vs. 3.5e is based on the game mode it was designed for. In this
        case, that set will only work properly with the 3e game mode. Changing
        it to work with the 3.5e game mode will cause you a bit of work.
        However, you can do whatever you want to the data sets on your
        computer. Again, 'transferring' to 3.5e does require a little work.
        Certain Skills no longer exist and have been folded into existing
        skills, or completely renamed, this along with certain feats have been
        changed/renamed or removed. Plus certain variables designed into the
        classes and abilities will need to be re-checked to make sure they are
        working.
        > Many thanks.
        >
        > Dom

        Again, you can add/delete/modify the files on your computer. No worries,
        no permission needed from us. I'm glad you're finding use in our
        non-core data sets.

        If you need assistance in your change, feel free to ask on the pcgen lst
        file help group. I'm more than happy to assist you here, but lst coding
        questions should be directed to the more appropriate Yahoo Group.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 4, 2009
          Andrew Maitland scribed:

          > Dom wrote:
          >
          > Hi Dom,
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> I would like to manage my PCs in a Midnight Campaign in PCgen.
          >>
          >> But, the data are in 3.0 (in alpha set).
          >>

          > Alpha just means it's still a beta set (No real testing).
          >> Can I transfer the data in 3.5?
          >>

          > The 3e vs. 3.5e is based on the game mode it was designed for. In this
          > case, that set will only work properly with the 3e game mode. Changing
          > it to work with the 3.5e game mode will cause you a bit of work.
          > However, you can do whatever you want to the data sets on your
          > computer. Again, 'transferring' to 3.5e does require a little work.
          > Certain Skills no longer exist and have been folded into existing
          > skills, or completely renamed, this along with certain feats have been
          > changed/renamed or removed. Plus certain variables designed into the
          > classes and abilities will need to be re-checked to make sure they are
          > working.
          >> Many thanks.
          >>
          >> Dom
          >>

          > Again, you can add/delete/modify the files on your computer. No worries,
          > no permission needed from us. I'm glad you're finding use in our
          > non-core data sets.
          >
          > If you need assistance in your change, feel free to ask on the pcgen lst
          > file help group. I'm more than happy to assist you here, but lst coding
          > questions should be directed to the more appropriate Yahoo Group.

          Having done quite a bit of work on this set, specifically the get it's
          particular magic system into a workable state, I can say that although it's
          in the alpha folder it's in pretty good shape.

          FFG has published a 2.0 version of the setting and that book is adapted for
          3.5 and also includes material from the 3.0 players book Against the Shadow
          which we also have a dataset for. This means that in essence we have like
          85% of the work done needed to produce a set for Midnight 2.0 and we have
          publisher permission to do so.

          The simple way to go about this would be to copy the older dataset into a
          new one and start adjusting the page numbers and other differences between
          the editions in the new set.

          The more complicated method would be to create a conversion set where a new
          pcc for the 3.5 gameMode would import data from the old set and .MOD SOURCE
          data and other differences where possible and only create new LST where
          .MODing is not possible. The advantage of this method is that it cuts down
          on duplication so that when a bug is found and fixed in the 3.0 data it does
          not have to be fixed in multiple places since the 3.5 set uses a good deal
          of the same data.

          This is the kind of project I love to work on, unfortunately my PCGen time
          is very limited these days. Dom, if you (or anyone else) is interested in
          collaborating on this project I could commit to engineering the conversion
          dataset structure (which can be complicated if you don't know LST well) if
          someone else can do the heavy lifting of finding the specific changes,
          testing and verifying.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Board of Directors
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 4, 2009
            Eddy Anthony wrote:
> [...]
            >
            > The more complicated method would be to create a conversion set where a new
            > pcc for the 3.5 gameMode would import data from the old set and .MOD SOURCE
            > data and other differences where possible and only create new LST where
            > .MODing is not possible. The advantage of this method is that it cuts down
            > on duplication so that when a bug is found and fixed in the 3.0 data it does
            > not have to be fixed in multiple places since the 3.5 set uses a good deal
            > of the same data.
            >
            > This is the kind of project I love to work on, unfortunately my PCGen time
            > is very limited these days. Dom, if you (or anyone else) is interested in
            > collaborating on this project I could commit to engineering the conversion
            > dataset structure (which can be complicated if you don't know LST well) if
            > someone else can do the heavy lifting of finding the specific changes,

            Eddy, I'll commit, but I've got a few data sets on my plate I want to
            get finished before getting to work on a new set. Though I'm not sure I
            have version 2.0.

            Currently I'm actually working on:
            OSRIC (Some structure in place 25% complete) - I'll work on it as time
            permits.
            Eclipse: The Codex Persona (This one will need some code work to make
            pretty, 90% Complete)
            Gaslight OGL (This set just needs a touch up and then review) - pending
            Into the Black (This set is just being finished in the Q&A process) -
            pending
            Into the Green (Structure in place. 50% complete) - Might have a new
            monkey help with this.

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          • Dom
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 6, 2009
              Hello,

              Thanks for your answers.
              But I have no skills in language, dataset, lst ...

              Never mind.

              Many thanks.

              Dom

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 6, 2009
                Dom wrote:

                Hi Dom,
                > Hello,
                >
                > Thanks for your answers.
                > But I have no skills in language, dataset, lst ...
                >
                > Never mind.
                >
                > Many thanks.

                No problem. It'll be something we get done soon, just don't expect it in
                the next few weeks.

                I've opened a tracker
                2873687 Add 3.5e version of the Midnight Data Set
                <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2873687&group_id=25576&atid=750092>
                > Dom

                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 6, 2009
                  Hi Dom,
                  We could still use your help. I'm going to start the process by creating
                  a basic conversion set, that will give us a version of the 3.0 set that will
                  load in 3.5 gameMode with a certain amount of changes that can be determined
                  just from the data (like skills and feats which were dropped or changed
                  names).
                  What needs to be done after that is the conversion set needs to be
                  checked against the Midnight 2nd Edition book to see what other changes need
                  to be made to bring it in line, you only need the book and PCGen to check a
                  lot of this. Let us know and we'll make the early draft of the conversion
                  available.

                  Dom scribed:

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 18, 2009

                    Sorry for my late answer .
                    Thanks for the tracker.

                    When a data set arrived, i can test it, if i can help.

                    Regards

                    Dom
                    > But I have no skills in language, dataset, lst ...
                    >
                    > Never mind.
                    >
                    > Many thanks.

                    No problem. It'll be something we get done soon, just don't expect it in
                    the next few weeks.

                    I've opened a tracker
                    2873687 Add 3.5e version of the Midnight Data Set
                    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2873687&group_id=25576&atid=750092>
                    > Dom

                    Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                  • davidvergison
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 25, 2010
                      Is the Midnight setting available ?

                      thx,
                      David

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Dom" <servenn@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Sorry for my late answer .
                      > Thanks for the tracker.
                      >
                      > When a data set arrived, i can test it, if i can help.
                      >
                      > Regards
                      >
                      > Dom

                    • Maredudd
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 25, 2010
                        Hi Folks!

                        David wrote:

                        > Is the Midnight setting available ?

                        Fantasy Flights Midnight is available in the distributed PCGen
                        installation. Note that this is the 3.0 edition. A tracker was
                        opened last year to add a 3.5 conversion but such has not been
                        done yet.

                        Maredudd
                      • Maredudd
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 25, 2010
                          Hello again Folks!

                          I wrote:

                          > Hi Folks!
                          >
                          > David wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Is the Midnight setting available ?
                          > >

                          > Fantasy Flights Midnight is available in the distributed PCGen
                          > installation. Note that this is the 3.0 edition. A tracker was
                          > opened last year to add a 3.5 conversion but such has not been
                          > done yet.

                          I just double checked and FFG has released their own 3.5 Edition
                          of Midnight. (and made a movie based upon the setting!) This
                          means that instead of doing a conversion we would need to do a
                          set for the publishers 3.5 edition.

                          Maredudd
                        • Keith Coon
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 25, 2010
                            I don't know how much work is involved in something like this, but I
                            would absolutely *love* to see this implemented!

                            Keith

                            On Feb 25, 2010, at 11:46 AM, Maredudd wrote:

                            > Hello again Folks!
                            >
                            > I wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi Folks!
                            > >
                            > > David wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Is the Midnight setting available ?
                            > > >

                            > > Fantasy Flights Midnight is available in the distributed PCGen
                            > > installation. Note that this is the 3.0 edition. A tracker was
                            > > opened last year to add a 3.5 conversion but such has not been
                            > > done yet.
                            >
                            > I just double checked and FFG has released their own 3.5 Edition
                            > of Midnight. (and made a movie based upon the setting!) This
                            > means that instead of doing a conversion we would need to do a
                            > set for the publishers 3.5 edition.
                            >
                            > Maredudd

                          • davidvergison
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 26, 2010
                              Good !
                              I'll try it sunday.

                              Is there a lot of differences between v3.5 and v3 ?
                              I own the midnight v2 settings. Does it mean i need v3.5 to create some characters ?

                              thx,
                              David
                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Maredudd" <maredudd@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Folks!
                              >
                              > David wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Is the Midnight setting available ?
                              > >

                              > Fantasy Flights Midnight is available in the distributed PCGen
                              > installation. Note that this is the 3.0 edition. A tracker was
                              > opened last year to add a 3.5 conversion but such has not been
                              > done yet.
                              >
                              > Maredudd

                            • Maredudd
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 26, 2010
                                Hi Folks!

                                David wrote:
                                > Good !
                                > I'll try it sunday.
                                >
                                > Is there a lot of differences between v3.5 and v3 ?

                                Not many, and there was at one time a 3.0 to 3.5 conversion guide
                                available. Not sure if it is still available though. Maybe someone will
                                read this and post a link to the guide . . . hinthinthint :-)

                                > I own the midnight v2 settings. Does it mean i need v3.5 to create some characters ?

                                As we don't have a data set for v2 you will need to load the SRD,
                                as opposed to the RSRD, to create characters with the existing set.
                                If you can find the conversion guide that WotC put out you should
                                be able to make a quick conversion directly on the printed character
                                sheet.

                                Maredudd
                              • davidvergison
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 5 10:57 PM
                                  Well, i try to create a Midnight character with the last stable version, but i've got a problem : all the list are empty ! (beginning with the advanced data loader screen ...)

                                  Whereas logs show the data load of "/data/xxx" directory

                                  I try on ubuntu 9.10 and java 1.6

                                  Is it a well know problem ?

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 5 11:05 PM
                                    Assuming 5.16.2?

                                    On 3/5/2010 10:57 PM, davidvergison wrote:
                                    > Well, i try to create a Midnight character with the last stable version, but i've got a problem : all the list are empty ! (beginning with the advanced data loader screen ...)
                                    >
                                    > Whereas logs show the data load of "/data/xxx" directory
                                    >
                                    > I try on ubuntu 9.10 and java 1.6
                                    >
                                    > Is it a well know problem ?
                                    >

                                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "davidvergison"<davidvergison@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Good !
                                    >> I'll try it sunday.
                                    >>
                                    >> Is there a lot of differences between v3.5 and v3 ?
                                    >> I own the midnight v2 settings. Does it mean i need v3.5 to create some characters ?
                                    >>
                                    >> thx,
                                    >> David
                                    >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Maredudd"<maredudd@> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> Hi Folks!

                                    >>> Fantasy Flights Midnight is available in the distributed PCGen
                                    >>> installation. Note that this is the 3.0 edition. A tracker was
                                    >>> opened last year to add a 3.5 conversion but such has not been
                                    >>> done yet.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Maredudd

                                    > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                                    Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                                  • davidvergison
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 6 12:49 AM
                                      Yes, 5.06.2, the last stable found here : http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/03_get_pcgen.php

                                      The "other system" file.

                                      Note that the same archive work fine on a windows system (at office).

                                      > Assuming 5.16.2?
                                      >

                                      > On 3/5/2010 10:57 PM, davidvergison wrote:
                                      > > Well, i try to create a Midnight character with the last stable version, but i've got a problem : all the list are empty ! (beginning with the advanced data loader screen ...)
                                      > >
                                      > > Whereas logs show the data load of "/data/xxx" directory
                                      > >
                                      > > I try on ubuntu 9.10 and java 1.6
                                      > >
                                      > > Is it a well know problem ?
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "davidvergison"<davidvergison@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > >> Good !
                                      > >> I'll try it sunday.
                                      > >>
                                      > >> Is there a lot of differences between v3.5 and v3 ?
                                      > >> I own the midnight v2 settings. Does it mean i need v3.5 to create some characters ?
                                      > >>
                                      > >> thx,
                                      > >> David

                                      > > ------------------------------------
                                      > >
                                      > > Related Lists

                                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      > >

                                      > --
                                      >
                                      > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                      > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                                    • davidvergison
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 6 1:19 AM
                                        Arg ! 5.16.2 not 5.06.2, sorry.

                                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "davidvergison" <davidvergison@...> wrote:

                                        > Yes, 5.06.2, the last stable found here : http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/03_get_pcgen.php
                                        >
                                        > The "other system" file.
                                        >
                                        > Note that the same archive work fine on a windows system (at office).

                                        > > Assuming 5.16.2?
                                        > >

                                        > > On 3/5/2010 10:57 PM, davidvergison wrote:
                                        > > > Well, i try to create a Midnight character with the last stable version, but i've got a problem : all the list are empty ! (beginning with the advanced data loader screen ...)
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Whereas logs show the data load of "/data/xxx" directory
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I try on ubuntu 9.10 and java 1.6
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Is it a well know problem ?

                                        > > > ------------------------------------
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Related Lists
                                        > > > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
                                        > > > PCGen's Roadmap: http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Roadmap
                                        > > > PCGen's Online Docs: http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
                                        > > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs: http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html

                                        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                        > > >

                                        > > --
                                        > >
                                        > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                        > > Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                                        > > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                                      • James Dempsey
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 6 3:23 AM
                                          Hi David,

                                          That'll be the infamous open java issue. Make sure you are running Sun
                                          Java instead and it should be fine.

                                          Cheers,
                                          James.

                                          On 6/03/2010 5:57 PM davidvergison wrote
                                          > Well, i try to create a Midnight character with the last stable version, but i've got a problem : all the list are empty ! (beginning with the advanced data loader screen ...)
                                          >
                                          > Whereas logs show the data load of "/data/xxx" directory
                                          >
                                          > I try on ubuntu 9.10 and java 1.6
                                          >
                                          > Is it a well know problem ?
                                          >

                                          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "davidvergison" <davidvergison@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> Good !
                                          >> I'll try it sunday.
                                          >>
                                          >> Is there a lot of differences between v3.5 and v3 ?
                                          >> I own the midnight v2 settings. Does it mean i need v3.5 to create some characters ?
                                          >>
                                          >> thx,
                                          >> David
                                          >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Maredudd" <maredudd@> wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >>> Hi Folks!

                                          >>> Fantasy Flights Midnight is available in the distributed PCGen
                                          >>> installation. Note that this is the 3.0 edition. A tracker was
                                          >>> opened last year to add a 3.5 conversion but such has not been
                                          >>> done yet.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> Maredudd

                                        • davidvergison
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 6 4:14 AM
                                            arg that's right ! i'm currently using open-java !!!!
                                            i'm going to install Java instead !

                                            > Hi David,
                                            >
                                            > That'll be the infamous open java issue. Make sure you are running Sun
                                            > Java instead and it should be fine.
                                            >
                                            > Cheers,
                                            > James.
                                            >
                                            > On 6/03/2010 5:57 PM davidvergison wrote
                                            > > Well, i try to create a Midnight character with the last stable version, but i've got a problem : all the list are empty ! (beginning with the advanced data loader screen ...)
                                            > >
                                            > > Whereas logs show the data load of "/data/xxx" directory
                                            > >
                                            > > I try on ubuntu 9.10 and java 1.6
                                            > >
                                            > > Is it a well know problem ?
                                            > >

                                            > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "davidvergison" <davidvergison@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > >> Good !
                                            > >> I'll try it sunday.
                                            > >>
                                            > >> Is there a lot of differences between v3.5 and v3 ?
                                            > >> I own the midnight v2 settings. Does it mean i need v3.5 to create some characters ?
                                            > >>
                                            > >> thx,
                                            > >> David

                                          • rayston
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 26, 2010
                                              Just wondering how far along OSRIC was?

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 26, 2010

                                                Wow, that's an older email, March 2010... Well here's where I stand on those sets:
                                                *OSRIC *- no further work done, other priorities have reared their heads; though if I had known we
                                                still had an interest I'd be happy to collaborate some further effort here. Mind you, supporting a
                                                non-3e system is quite a challenge still. It's a big challenge, but should still be doable. I'd have
                                                to review what I've done to see where the set needs work. I'm not even sure it's loadable at this point.
                                                *Eclipse: The Codex Persona* [Completed, awaiting code improvement to better support]
                                                *Gaslight OGL* [Completed]
                                                *Into the Black* [Completed]
                                                *Into the Green* [Completed]
                                                *APG* [In-progress, 80% completed, needs Feat work, ability clean up and improvements galore, main
                                                structure is in place, only needing to patch anything missed on first pass]

                                                I'm doing the APG, so our Pathfinder monkey [Stefan aka Zaister] can implement the Template Engine
                                                on the code side, so the other coders aren't stretched further.

                                                I'm also helping clean up any 5.16 sets for another 5.16 release, short cycle. Deadlines aplenty
                                                unfortunately.

                                                On 9/26/2010 3:24 PM, rayston wrote:
                                                > > Currently I'm actually working on:
                                                > > OSRIC (Some structure in place 25% complete) - I'll work on it as time
                                                > > permits.
                                                > > Eclipse: The Codex Persona (This one will need some code work to make
                                                > > pretty, 90% Complete)
                                                > > Gaslight OGL (This set just needs a touch up and then review) - pending
                                                > > Into the Black (This set is just being finished in the Q&A process) -
                                                > > pending
                                                > > Into the Green (Structure in place. 50% complete) - Might have a new
                                                > > monkey help with this.

                                                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                                              • Jonathan Thompson
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 26, 2010
                                                  I will send the Gaslight update within the next couple of days. I have been
                                                  swamped with some family stuff.

                                                  On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hi,
                                                  >
                                                  > Wow, that's an older email, March 2010... Well here's where I stand on
                                                  > those sets:
                                                  > *OSRIC *- no further work done, other priorities have reared their heads;
                                                  > though if I had known we
                                                  > still had an interest I'd be happy to collaborate some further effort here.
                                                  > Mind you, supporting a
                                                  > non-3e system is quite a challenge still. It's a big challenge, but should
                                                  > still be doable. I'd have
                                                  > to review what I've done to see where the set needs work. I'm not even sure
                                                  > it's loadable at this point.
                                                  > *Eclipse: The Codex Persona* [Completed, awaiting code improvement to
                                                  > better support]
                                                  > *Gaslight OGL* [Completed]
                                                  > *Into the Black* [Completed]
                                                  > *Into the Green* [Completed]
                                                  > *APG* [In-progress, 80% completed, needs Feat work, ability clean up and
                                                  > improvements galore, main
                                                  > structure is in place, only needing to patch anything missed on first pass]
                                                  >
                                                  > I'm doing the APG, so our Pathfinder monkey [Stefan aka Zaister] can
                                                  > implement the Template Engine
                                                  > on the code side, so the other coders aren't stretched further.
                                                  >
                                                  > I'm also helping clean up any 5.16 sets for another 5.16 release, short
                                                  > cycle. Deadlines aplenty
                                                  > unfortunately.
                                                  >

                                                  > On 9/26/2010 3:24 PM, rayston wrote:
                                                  > > > Currently I'm actually working on:
                                                  > > > OSRIC (Some structure in place 25% complete) - I'll work on it as time
                                                  > > > permits.
                                                  > > > Eclipse: The Codex Persona (This one will need some code work to make
                                                  > > > pretty, 90% Complete)
                                                  > > > Gaslight OGL (This set just needs a touch up and then review) - pending
                                                  > > > Into the Black (This set is just being finished in the Q&A process) -
                                                  > > > pending
                                                  > > > Into the Green (Structure in place. 50% complete) - Might have a new
                                                  > > > monkey help with this.
                                                  >
                                                  > --
                                                  > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                                  > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                                                  > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                                                  Jonathan M. Thompson
                                                  Battlefield Press, Inc (www.battlefieldpress.com) / Solar Flare Productions

                                                  jthompson@...
                                                  d20 Magazine Rack (www.d20zines.com)
                                                  thompsonjm@...
                                                  Now on Sale: Open Anime (Open Core) and Gaslight Victorian Fantasy
                                                  (OGL/Savage Worlds)
                                                  In Development: (2010) Double Spiral War, Terran Trade Authority, 1632
                                                  Second Edition | "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were.
                                                  But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan