Just noticed a weird problem with pcgen

  • zebitty
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2009
      Hi guys - I'm new to PC gen and this group. Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to post this, but I couldn't see anywhere else to do so.

      Not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just doing something dumb.

      I noticed that the attack numbers for one of my characters were off, so I decided to see if I could reproduce the problem with a new, stripped bare, character, so I did the following...

      Start PCGEN and load the 3.5 player data and then make a level 1 halfling rogue.
      Stats (after pcgen applies racial adjustments) are STR13, DEX20, the rest 15.

      Without bothering to select any skills or feats, I go right to the inventory section, give him a dagger and equip it as primary weap.

      The 'to hit' numbers on the character sheet looked odd, so I fired up the the troubleshooting character sheet and under the attacks section, I get:

      AttacksDaggerMelee; NumberofAttacks:1;Crit:19-20;CritMultiplier:x2;Reach:5ft.
      ToHit:+0=+0[BAB]+1[STAT]+1[SIZE]-2[MAGIC]
      Damage:1d4+1

      Dagger (Thrown)Ranged; NumberofAttacks:1;Crit:19-20;CritMultiplier:x2;RangeIncrement:10 ft.
      ToHit:+5=+0[BAB]+5[STAT]+1[SIZE]-2[MAGIC]
      Damage:1d4+1;

      As far as I can tell, shouldn't this halfling have a Melee ToHit of +2?? - not 0?
      ie - +1 due to STR bonus and +1 due to size (racial bonus)

      Can someone _please_ tell me where the -2[MAGIC] is coming from?
      It's a new file, bare bones PC with just stats, class, race and a single dagger equipped.

      Running Vista SP1
      PCGen 5.16.1 with 35e Campaign Data.

      Thanks in advance,
      Zeb.
    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2009
        Did you give him a small dagger?

        David
        Papa.DRB

        Grognard (definition 1)
        My better half and me

        zebitty wrote:
        > Hi guys - I'm new to PC gen and this group. Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to post this, but I couldn't see anywhere else to do so.
        >
        > Not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just doing something dumb.
        >
        > I noticed that the attack numbers for one of my characters were off, so I decided to see if I could reproduce the problem with a new, stripped bare, character, so I did the following...
        >
        > Start PCGEN and load the 3.5 player data and then make a level 1 halfling rogue.
        > Stats (after pcgen applies racial adjustments) are STR13, DEX20, the rest 15.
        >
        > Without bothering to select any skills or feats, I go right to the inventory section, give him a dagger and equip it as primary weap.
        >
        > The 'to hit' numbers on the character sheet looked odd, so I fired up the the troubleshooting character sheet and under the attacks section, I get:
        >
        > AttacksDaggerMelee; NumberofAttacks:1;Crit:19-20;CritMultiplier:x2;Reach:5ft.
        > ToHit:+0=+0[BAB]+1[STAT]+1[SIZE]-2[MAGIC]
        > Damage:1d4+1
        >
        > Dagger (Thrown)Ranged; NumberofAttacks:1;Crit:19-20;CritMultiplier:x2;RangeIncrement:10 ft.
        > ToHit:+5=+0[BAB]+5[STAT]+1[SIZE]-2[MAGIC]
        > Damage:1d4+1;
        >
        > As far as I can tell, shouldn't this halfling have a Melee ToHit of +2?? - not 0?
        > ie - +1 due to STR bonus and +1 due to size (racial bonus)
        >
        > Can someone _please_ tell me where the -2[MAGIC] is coming from?
        > It's a new file, bare bones PC with just stats, class, race and a single dagger equipped.
        >
        > Running Vista SP1
        > PCGen 5.16.1 with 35e Campaign Data.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Zeb.

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • Michael W. Fender
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2009
          Actually, I can tell he didn't. A small dagger does 1d3 damage, not 1d4.
          I've played too many rogues to not know that one by heart ^^

          Try this: Right click on the dagger before you buy it and click "Create
          Custom Item". On the right hand side, there should be a list of sizes. Just
          choose small and you should be good. Though, honestly, I don't know why it's
          coming up as magic. It may be hard coded because the penalty is untyped, but
          I'm not finding anything in the game mode files.

          Accessing file 168.17985.22209

          Data from user David is as follows:

          --
          Fluxxdog

          think.
        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2009
            Hi Zeb,

            As David implied, you need to turn on "Automatically Resize Equipment"
            on the Inventory tab. What you are seeing is likely the size penalty
            for a small character using a medium weapon.

            Maredudd

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2009
              Ah nice one, thanks guys.

              I'll test this out when I get home later on.

              Cheers

              Zeb