Joining the monkeys

  • arjan_van_ginneken
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 25, 2009
      Hello,

      I've been fiddling with PCGen datafiles (mostly DnD 3 en 3.5) for some time now and I find that I enjoy it. So much so that I'm willing to offer my talents (for what they're worth) to the data-monkey team.

      I was wondering what would be required. How much time (per week) would be asked for example? Would I be required to buy a copy of the books being coded?

      I can dedicate some time (a few hours/one evening) per week to coding. So if you can use me, I'm available. I'll give it a try anyway.

      I have some coding/scripting experience with html/php and MS VB for office. Mostly out of personal interest. And coding lst-files. The Priesthood section in the Game Rules Implementation Guide in de docs was triggered by a question from me. I was trying to get that implemented in my campaign and succeeded with help thought the PCGenListFileHelp mailinglist.

      Let me know if I can be of any assistance somewhere.

      regards,
      Arjan
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 25, 2009
        arjan_van_ginneken wrote:

        Hi Arjan,
        > Hello,
        >
        > I've been fiddling with PCGen datafiles (mostly DnD 3 en 3.5) for some time now and I find that I enjoy it. So much so that I'm willing to offer my talents (for what they're worth) to the data-monkey team.

        That's something we like to hear. :) Welcome to the Project.
        > I was wondering what would be required. How much time (per week) would be asked for example? Would I be required to buy a copy of the books being coded?

        The amount of time you volunteer is strictly up to you. That's why it's
        called being a volunteer ;) Give 10 minutes, or 12 hours, nobody logs
        your time, and nobody will hound you. Though from time to time we do
        check up on each other to see how things are going. If you need a break,
        or real life comes at you, then don't code. Above all else, family comes
        first. We understand. Again, do what you can, when you can.

        Buying the books - Well, that is a personal choice. In some cases, the
        publisher will give us a book (normally in pdf format) to use for the
        use of coding up the book for pcgen (This is pretty frequent, especially
        when the publisher wants a data set ready to go at release time, or
        wants to promote their book at an upcoming event). In other cases
        another user will buy a book for the data monkey to use to make the set
        (I've had this happen twice that I can recall for myself). If it's
        something you really want included, then naturally I'd expect you would
        already own the book. Again, it all boils down to what you want.
        > I can dedicate some time (a few hours/one evening) per week to coding. So if you can use me, I'm available. I'll give it a try anyway.

        Excellent. The other great thing about being a volunteer, you get to
        choose what you want to do.

        For data monkeys the following are good choices:
        Data Bug Fixing
        Data Feature Requests
        Data Wish list (User submitted requests for book inclusion in PCGen)
        The above are all located at http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/06_trackers.php
        Coding up a book you want to see included in PCGen. (My personal
        favorite, you really get to be creative and make an entire book come
        together, though this is one of the more challenging tasks a data monkey
        takes on, both in time spent and figuring out how to make things work as
        the publisher intended)

        If you need help, direction, guidance, or anything else, your best
        resources are Eddy, myself, Tir and Eric (And numerous other monkeys
        that tend to remain hidden). Eric is an excellent resource since he's
        the Publisher Liaison, he's spot on when it comes to what books have
        been approved for inclusion, which ones we can't include and which
        publishers we need to contact. I suggest asking him first if you don't
        see a publisher listed before coding up a book for PCGen. For the list,
        you'll want to check out
        http://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/docs/acknowledgments/publishersandsources.html#publishers
        > I have some coding/scripting experience with html/php and MS VB for office. Mostly out of personal interest. And coding lst-files. The Priesthood section in the Game Rules Implementation Guide in de docs was triggered by a question from me. I was trying to get that implemented in my campaign and succeeded with help thought the PCGenListFileHelp mailinglist.

        That's good to hear. We have several helpful monkeys on the list file
        help group.
        > Let me know if I can be of any assistance somewhere.

        Well, let me ask you this, is there anything you want to do? Cause if
        you stand around and say, 'hey, what can I do for you?' you'll get a
        full plate really fast.

        Beyond that, I can scrounge up a few easier tasks to get your feet wet,
        if that is what you want to do.

        Beyond that, again, Welcome to the Project.
        > regards,
        > Arjan

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
      • karianna03
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 25, 2009
          Hi Andrew,

          Some of this information looks very useful and could perhaps go in the wiki for new data monkeys...?

          :)

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 25, 2009
            karianna03 wrote:
            > Hi Andrew,
            >
            > Some of this information looks very useful and could perhaps go in the wiki for new data monkeys...?

            Sure thing, but nap time first ;) Well rested Admin monkey makes less
            mistakes that way.

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 26, 2009
              karianna03 wrote:
              > Hi Andrew,
              >
              > Some of this information looks very useful and could perhaps go in the wiki for new data monkeys...?

              http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Joining_the_Data_Team

              Does that look reasonable?
              > :)

              <SNIP>
            • karianna03
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 28, 2009
                Looks good to me, thanks for adding this!

                > karianna03 wrote:
                > > Hi Andrew,
                > >
                > > Some of this information looks very useful and could perhaps go in the wiki for new data monkeys...?
                > >

                > http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Joining_the_Data_Team
                >
                > Does that look reasonable?
                > > :)

                > <SNIP>

              • arjan_van_ginneken
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
                  I tried to reply to this message earlier, but it got lost in Limbo somewhere :)

                  <snip lots of info>

                  > Well, let me ask you this, is there anything you want to do? Cause
                  > if you stand around and say, 'hey, what can I do for you?' you'll
                  > get a full plate really fast.

                  I can imagine. But I wouldn't know where to start. Trying to get an entire book coded looks a bit daunting at the moment. I'v looked at the trackers but didn't really understand what I was looking at.

                  > Beyond that, I can scrounge up a few easier tasks to get your feet
                  > wet, if that is what you want to do.

                  That would be great. Just to get started so to speak. Contact me through e-mail if you want to discuss this further please.

                  Regards,
                  Arjan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
                    arjan_van_ginneken wrote:
                    > I tried to reply to this message earlier, but it got lost in Limbo somewhere :)

                    <SNIP>

                    I hate it when that happens.

                    <SNIP>

                    > That would be great. Just to get started so to speak. Contact me through e-mail if you want to discuss this further please.

                    Contacted by email off-list.
                    > Regards,
                    > Arjan

                    <SNIP>