Has PC Gen been updated to support Vista yet?

  • Nel
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 19, 2009
      Has PC Gen been updated to support Vista yet? Just wonderin...
    • Andrew Wardell
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 19, 2009
        Create a cleric that has Channel Negative Energy.
        Multiclass that Cleric as a Wizard (Necromancer).

        Character should have Free Command Undead Feat (This is correctly added)
        Character should have 3+CHA Mod Channel Negative Energy Uses from Cleric (DC
        10+ Cleric Lvl/2 + CHA Mod), including ability to Command Undead (from Feat)
        Character should have 3+INT Mod Channel Negative Energy Uses (Command Undead
        Only) from Necromancy (DC 10+ Wizard Lvl/2 + CHA Mod) shown in the 'Power
        Over Undead' ability.

        What character gets is (6 + CHA Mod + INT Mod) Channel Energy Uses, combined
        into a single pool, that shows in both Channel Energy and Power Over Undead.

        The DC for this (and the DC listed under Power Over Undead Ability, and the
        DC listed in the Command Undead Feat) is (20 + CHA Mod + INT Mod + some
        weird figure that does not seem to be either sum of caster levels/2, or max
        of caster levels/2, or anything else I can tag...though I haven't tested
        extensively)

        I think it is also important to note that Channel Energy is specifically
        based on *Cleric Level*...Turn Undead Feat is specifically based on *Cleric
        Level*...but Command Undead Feat is based on *Caster Level*, which I think
        is going to make it somewhat more complex to code (maybe this is errata?)
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 19, 2009
          Nel wrote:

          Hi Nel,
          > Has PC Gen been updated to support Vista yet? Just wonderin...

          PCGen works on all Windows with java. I've been using PCGen on Vista for
          a couple of years.

          The issues people have encountered with Vista is the permissions and
          default file path. We now include an exe file for windows users in the
          5.17.0 version of PCGen. If you want to grab that version and test it
          out for yourself, you can download it from get PCGen section of the
          pcgen.sourceforge.net site.

          We have a troubleshooting section for Vista why it won't start, save,
          etc. in our Docs.

          What problem are you experiencing?

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19, 2009
            Andrew Wardell wrote:

            Thanks for the report:

            2862453 [PF] Channeling is stacking between classes
            <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2862453&group_id=25576&atid=750091>
            > Create a cleric that has Channel Negative Energy.
            > Multiclass that Cleric as a Wizard (Necromancer).
            >
            > Character should have Free Command Undead Feat (This is correctly added)
            > Character should have 3+CHA Mod Channel Negative Energy Uses from Cleric (DC
            > 10+ Cleric Lvl/2 + CHA Mod), including ability to Command Undead (from Feat)
            > Character should have 3+INT Mod Channel Negative Energy Uses (Command Undead
            > Only) from Necromancy (DC 10+ Wizard Lvl/2 + CHA Mod) shown in the 'Power
            > Over Undead' ability.
            >
            > What character gets is (6 + CHA Mod + INT Mod) Channel Energy Uses, combined
            > into a single pool, that shows in both Channel Energy and Power Over Undead.
            >

            > The DC for this (and the DC listed under Power Over Undead Ability, and the
            > DC listed in the Command Undead Feat) is (20 + CHA Mod + INT Mod + some
            > weird figure that does not seem to be either sum of caster levels/2, or max
            > of caster levels/2, or anything else I can tag...though I haven't tested
            > extensively)
            >
            > I think it is also important to note that Channel Energy is specifically
            > based on *Cleric Level*...Turn Undead Feat is specifically based on *Cleric
            > Level*...but Command Undead Feat is based on *Caster Level*, which I think
            > is going to make it somewhat more complex to code (maybe this is errata?)

            > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          • z.calibur
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 19, 2009
              Andrew Maitland wrote: What problem are you experiencing?

              z.calibur responds: I can't input the latest Pathfinder data set that the codemonkey's have released into the 5.17.0 version of PCGen it keeps coming up as a cannot create folder and installation failed.
            • Andrew Wardell
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 20, 2009
                While 5.17.0 may have been changed to accommodate Vista, I doubt that the
                Pathfinder OOC Data Set has been altered in that way. This still sounds
                like a Vista permissions issue.

                Open Windows Explorer using the 'Run As Administrator" option, navigate to
                just above your PCGen directory.
                Right-click the PCGen Directory, select Security, and add Full Control to
                the Users group.

                I expect that will make all your permissions problems go away.

                Andrew Maitland wrote: What problem are you experiencing?

                z.calibur responds: I can't input the latest Pathfinder data set that the
                codemonkey's have released into the 5.17.0 version of PCGen it keeps coming
                up as a cannot create folder and installation failed.

                ------------------------------------

                Related Lists
                PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
                PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 20, 2009
                  z.calibur wrote:
                  > Andrew Maitland wrote: What problem are you experiencing?
                  >
                  > z.calibur responds: I can't input the latest Pathfinder data set that the codemonkey's have released into the 5.17.0 version of PCGen it keeps coming up as a cannot create folder and installation failed.

                  Wow, windows sure does like making simple tasks harder.

                  Okay, easy workaround while I punt this latest issue to the team... The
                  folder you get. Inside there will be two or more folders -

                  data
                  system
                  outputsheet

                  if there is more then just do the same thing I say here.

                  Disclaimer - always back up or verify what you are about to do so you
                  don't lose your data. This method is generally safe for me, but your
                  results may vary.

                  Copy and Paste those folders into the main pcgen folder that has those
                  same folders (It will ask if you are sure, say yes) and it will
                  overwrite the pathfinder stuff... that's the easy way. If you want to be
                  extra careful, drill down to just the pathfinder folder ( the one that
                  holds all the actual lst files) and copy that into the pathfinder folder
                  on your system.

                  for reference default pcgen folder in a typical windows install is
                  c:/program files/pcgen/pcgen5160

                  though for win7 I think it's different...

                  Repeat with the gamemode folder under system and the outputsheets.