PCGen Browser viewing issues

  • rexhammerforge
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 19, 2009
      I used PCGen on several machines using Win7 x32 and x64 with different monitor resolutions. I've never had this problem before.

      On my MSI Wind U100 running Win7 Enterprise x32, screen res 1024x600. I've set the default browser in the settings to IE x32. This setting works fine on my other laptop running same thing.

      I keep getting the error message.

      "Could not preview file and external browser. Sorry..."

      I've tried IE and Firefox both give same error.

      I've even zipped up a working PCGen directory from my other laptop and while it works fine on the source laptop I get the same error on the MSI Wind U100.

      Any thoughts or ideas?

      Thanx,

      Kizan
    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 19, 2009
        2 things. Make sure that you browser and character sheet is defined in
        the preferences, and then for one time export to that character sheet
        and then try preview again.

        I have found the export "resets" the preview so it works.

        David
        Papa.DRB

        Grognard (definition 1)
        My better half and me

        rexhammerforge wrote:
        > I used PCGen on several machines using Win7 x32 and x64 with different monitor resolutions. I've never had this problem before.
        >
        > On my MSI Wind U100 running Win7 Enterprise x32, screen res 1024x600. I've set the default browser in the settings to IE x32. This setting works fine on my other laptop running same thing.
        >
        > I keep getting the error message.
        >
        > "Could not preview file and external browser. Sorry..."
        >
        > I've tried IE and Firefox both give same error.
        >
        > I've even zipped up a working PCGen directory from my other laptop and while it works fine on the source laptop I get the same error on the MSI Wind U100.
        >
        > Any thoughts or ideas?
        >
        > Thanx,
        >
        > Kizan

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • rexhammerforge
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 19, 2009
          David,

          Thanx for the ideas. I do use a character sheet that I made. I tried what you suggested and it worked just fine but only if I used a sheet that comes with PCGen. I can't select me sheet from the export list. No matter where I copy my sheet.

          I normally don't use the export feature as I just print from the browser and don't need to export so it's the first time I've really played with it. My sheet is just an editing of the STD sheet. I added a few things nothing big.

          The REALLY odd thing is that the problem I described is related to the resolution the machine is running. I connected from my MSI Wind U100 (res 1024x600) to my normal desktop machine via RDC (Remote Desktop Connection). On this desktop machine PCGen works just fine.

          RDC "shrinks" the desktop of remote machine to the resolution of the local machine (MSI Wind U100). I ran PCGen then and found that I get the error same error on the remote machine where is works normally when logged into that machine directly.

          Rex

          > 2 things. Make sure that you browser and character sheet is defined in
          > the preferences, and then for one time export to that character sheet
          > and then try preview again.
          >
          > I have found the export "resets" the preview so it works.
          >
          > David
          > Papa.DRB
          >
          > Grognard (definition 1)
          > My better half and me
          > The Internet: Because None of Us Are As Dumb as All of Us
          >

          > rexhammerforge wrote:
          > > I used PCGen on several machines using Win7 x32 and x64 with different monitor resolutions. I've never had this problem before.
          > >
          > > On my MSI Wind U100 running Win7 Enterprise x32, screen res 1024x600. I've set the default browser in the settings to IE x32. This setting works fine on my other laptop running same thing.
          > >
          > > I keep getting the error message.
          > >
          > > "Could not preview file and external browser. Sorry..."
          > >
          > > I've tried IE and Firefox both give same error.
          > >
          > > I've even zipped up a working PCGen directory from my other laptop and while it works fine on the source laptop I get the same error on the MSI Wind U100.
          > >
          > > Any thoughts or ideas?
          > >
          > > Thanx,
          > >
          > > Kizan
          > >

          > > ------------------------------------
          > >
          > > Related Lists

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 19, 2009
            rexhammerforge scribed:

            > Thanx for the ideas. I do use a character sheet that I made. I tried what you
            > suggested and it worked just fine but only if I used a sheet that comes with
            > PCGen. I can't select me sheet from the export list. No matter where I copy my
            > sheet.

            Does the name of your custom sheet start with "csheet", it needs to for
            PCGen to know it can use it.
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Board of Directors
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 19, 2009
              Does your output sheet start with "csheet_" ? If it doesn't it won't work.

              David
              Papa.DRB

              Grognard (definition 1)
              My better half and me

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 19, 2009
                My Sheet does have the csheet prefix on it. I even tried it with csheet_ as a prefix. However, I don't believe the issue is releated to the sheet I'm using for two reasons. It works fine on the other five machines I use PCGen on and I get the original error even when I have a stock sheet selected.

                It must be releated somehow to the resolution of the screen as that's the only thing that is changing between the machines. Supported by the fact that my desktop machine does not have the error until I've RDCed into it from a machine with the smaller res. When I RDC into it from a machine with larger res it works fine.

                Thanx for all the help.

                The main reason for all this hassle is that the netbook with the tiny screen was purchased (and approved by the wife) for use at the game table and cons. She games with me so when it doesn't work I get a ton of flak about it. :-)

                Rex

                > Does your output sheet start with "csheet_" ? If it doesn't it won't work.
                >
                > David
                > Papa.DRB
                >
                > Grognard (definition 1)
                > My better half and me
                > The Internet: Because None of Us Are As Dumb as All of Us
                >

                > rexhammerforge wrote:
                > > David,
                > >
                > > Thanx for the ideas. I do use a character sheet that I made. I tried what you suggested and it worked just fine but only if I used a sheet that comes with PCGen. I can't select me sheet from the export list. No matter where I copy my sheet.
                > >
                > > I normally don't use the export feature as I just print from the browser and don't need to export so it's the first time I've really played with it. My sheet is just an editing of the STD sheet. I added a few things nothing big.
                > >
                > > The REALLY odd thing is that the problem I described is related to the resolution the machine is running. I connected from my MSI Wind U100 (res 1024x600) to my normal desktop machine via RDC (Remote Desktop Connection). On this desktop machine PCGen works just fine.
                > >
                > > RDC "shrinks" the desktop of remote machine to the resolution of the local machine (MSI Wind U100). I ran PCGen then and found that I get the error same error on the remote machine where is works normally when logged into that machine directly.
                > >
                > > Rex
                > >
                > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender" <Papa.DRB@> wrote:
                > >
                > >> 2 things. Make sure that you browser and character sheet is defined in
                > >> the preferences, and then for one time export to that character sheet
                > >> and then try preview again.
                > >>
                > >> I have found the export "resets" the preview so it works.
                > >>
                > >> David
                > >> Papa.DRB
                > >>
                > >> Grognard (definition 1)
                > >> <http://home.roadrunner.com/%7Edavidstuff/Grognard.html>
                > >> My better half and me
                > >> <http://home.roadrunner.com/%7Edavidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>
                > >> Madness takes its toll - please have exact change.
                > >> The Internet: Because None of Us Are As Dumb as All of Us

                > > ------------------------------------
                > >
                > > Related Lists

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • rexhammerforge
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 21, 2009
                  David and Eddy,

                  Should I put this in as a Bug Report?

                  Kizan

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 21, 2009
                    rexhammerforge wrote:
                    > David and Eddy,
                    >
                    > Should I put this in as a Bug Report?

                    Is this a problem with our Csheets? or this is a homebrew sheet?

                    If it's the homebrew sheet, then a bug report won't do any good as it's
                    not something on our end. If we can't reproduce it, it's much, much
                    harder to fix.

                    If you want one of the monkeys to take a look, that'd be different.

                    I have a *little* OS experience and would be willing to take a look at
                    it. Beyond that, Kar or Eddy would be best suited to taking a look at
                    your csheet code.

                    Although you can compare it with the existing csheets to see what is
                    different.

                    > Kizan
                    >
                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "rexhammerforge" <bowie@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> My Sheet does have the csheet prefix on it. I even tried it with csheet_ as a prefix. However, I don't believe the issue is releated to the sheet I'm using for two reasons. It works fine on the other five machines I use PCGen on and I get the original error even when I have a stock sheet selected.
                    >>
                    >> It must be releated somehow to the resolution of the screen as that's the only thing that is changing between the machines. Supported by the fact that my desktop machine does not have the error until I've RDCed into it from a machine with the smaller res. When I RDC into it from a machine with larger res it works fine.
                    >>
                    >> Thanx for all the help.
                    >>
                    >> The main reason for all this hassle is that the netbook with the tiny screen was purchased (and approved by the wife) for use at the game table and cons. She games with me so when it doesn't work I get a ton of flak about it. :-)
                    >>
                    >> Rex
                    >>
                    >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender" <Papa.DRB@> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Does your output sheet start with "csheet_" ? If it doesn't it won't work.
                    >>>
                    >>> David
                    >>> Papa.DRB
                    >>>
                    >>> Grognard (definition 1)
                    >>> <http://home.roadrunner.com/%7Edavidstuff/Grognard.html>
                    >>> My better half and me
                    >>> <http://home.roadrunner.com/%7Edavidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>
                    >>> The Internet: Because None of Us Are As Dumb as All of Us

                    > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                    Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                  • rexhammerforge
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 21, 2009
                      As I stated earlier in this thread the issue happens with stock sheet AS WELL as my custom sheet (which works on every other PC).

                      > rexhammerforge wrote:
                      > > David and Eddy,
                      > >
                      > > Should I put this in as a Bug Report?
                      > >

                      > Is this a problem with our Csheets? or this is a homebrew sheet?
                      >
                      > If it's the homebrew sheet, then a bug report won't do any good as it's
                      > not something on our end. If we can't reproduce it, it's much, much
                      > harder to fix.
                      >
                      > If you want one of the monkeys to take a look, that'd be different.
                      >
                      > I have a *little* OS experience and would be willing to take a look at
                      > it. Beyond that, Kar or Eddy would be best suited to taking a look at
                      > your csheet code.
                      >
                      > Although you can compare it with the existing csheets to see what is
                      > different.
                      >
                      > > Kizan
                      > >
                      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "rexhammerforge" <bowie@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> My Sheet does have the csheet prefix on it. I even tried it with csheet_ as a prefix. However, I don't believe the issue is releated to the sheet I'm using for two reasons. It works fine on the other five machines I use PCGen on and I get the original error even when I have a stock sheet selected.
                      > >>
                      > >> It must be releated somehow to the resolution of the screen as that's the only thing that is changing between the machines. Supported by the fact that my desktop machine does not have the error until I've RDCed into it from a machine with the smaller res. When I RDC into it from a machine with larger res it works fine.
                      > >>
                      > >> Thanx for all the help.
                      > >>
                      > >> The main reason for all this hassle is that the netbook with the tiny screen was purchased (and approved by the wife) for use at the game table and cons. She games with me so when it doesn't work I get a ton of flak about it. :-)
                      > >>
                      > >> Rex

                      > > ------------------------------------
                      > >
                      > > Related Lists

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >

                      > --
                      >
                      > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                      > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                    • Eddy Anthony
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 21, 2009
                        I would say it's a code bug unrelated to the output sheet being used. If
                        the sheet can be used on another systems then that's not the problem.
                        -Eddy