Re: [pcgen] The Final Pathfinder vs the Pathfinder Beta Set was re: Pathfinder Update

  • Sigil Thane
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 6, 2009
      On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 23:55:30 -0500, maredudd800 <maredudd@...>
      wrote:

      > Would you prefer to use the Pathfinder Beta data set over
      > the upcoming Pathfinder Core Rulebook data set?
      >
      > Eric Smith
      > PR Silverback
      > PCGen Board of Directors

      Consider this my vote for keeping the game modes separate.The Beta was
      released to the community free of charge, and there are likely ongoing
      games using this rules set. That said I wouldn't worry about adding the
      alpha support, as there was a lot of change between the alphas. The Beta
      however was pretty solid and had a following. I would be ticked
      (personally) if my DM decided he did not like the changes in the Release
      and was running from the Beta instead... and found that rules set was no
      longer supported by PCGen.

    • Mike Elliott
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
          I agree with Stefan. The BETA needs to be kept around, but the menuentry
          in the gamemode should be 'Pathfinder BETA', and the final rules should
          be 'Pathfinder'.

          David
          Papa.DRB

          Grognard (definition 1)
          My better half and me

          Stefan Radermacher wrote:
          >> So, what are your feeling folks?
          >>
          >> Would you prefer to use the Pathfinder Beta data set over
          >> the upcoming Pathfinder Core Rulebook data set?
          >>

          > I guess most people will want to use the Core Rulebook set, but it's quite
          > likely that some people might rather want to keep using the Beta data set.
          > Those, however, will probably in the minority. My proposal would be to delete
          > the Beta set from the general release and replace it with the Core Rulebook
          > set. The Bate set could then be released as an installable OOC data set so
          > that anyone who wants to use it can install it along the regular PCGen
          > package. However, this would make it necessary for the installable data set to
          > install a new game mode along with it, as the two sets have differing game
          > mode files.
        • Hollis McCray
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
            On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 4:39 AM, David R. Bender<Papa.DRB@...> wrote:

            > I agree with Stefan. The BETA needs to be kept around, but the menuentry
            > in the gamemode should be 'Pathfinder BETA', and the final rules should
            > be 'Pathfinder'.

            I'm agreeing as well. While I think most people will switch over to
            the final print rules, there will probably still be some people who
            are still using the beta rules.

            Maybe we could use a page for datasets that are no longer maintained
            or 'deprecated'? (To borrrow a bit of code-speak.)
            --
            Hollis McCray
            Mutant Registration Number #US2002023904

            Warning: Proximity to this individual may expose you to the following RPGs:
            Fate: http://www.faterpg.com
            Mutants & Masterminds: http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com
            Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies: http://www.7skies.net/
            Please visit these websites in order to protect yourself.
          • Jeff Miller
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
              I'm currently reading the Core Rulebook now. I like what I see and will
              be switching son.

              I can imagine that there will be people who will want continued support
              for the free version but I don't currently see a need. Maybe freeze the
              latest copy of PCGen for those who want the old set.

              --

              Jeff Miller
              http://businesscredittips.weebly.com

            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
                Stefan Radermacher scribed:

                >> So, what are your feeling folks?
                >>
                >> Would you prefer to use the Pathfinder Beta data set over
                >> the upcoming Pathfinder Core Rulebook data set?
                >
                > I guess most people will want to use the Core Rulebook set, but it's quite
                > likely that some people might rather want to keep using the Beta data set.
                > Those, however, will probably in the minority. My proposal would be to delete
                > the Beta set from the general release and replace it with the Core Rulebook
                > set. The Bate set could then be released as an installable OOC data set so
                > that anyone who wants to use it can install it along the regular PCGen
                > package. However, this would make it necessary for the installable data set to
                > install a new game mode along with it, as the two sets have differing game
                > mode files.
                >
                > Stefan.

                Why would this be necessary? If anyone wants to keep using the beta just
                keep using 5.16.1, it not like that release is going anywhere. At this point
                there will be no more work on the beta dataset, the LST monkeys involved
                have all moved on to work on the final rules and source books to follow. For
                us to keep the beta in the release or even as a OOC set means someone will
                have to spend time maintaining it as we do with the other sets, and we are
                limited in our monkeypower.

                I will grant that with the advances with the data converter the maintenance
                time should be much less than it has been in the past, so that is not really
                a strong argument in and of itself. If we must keep it around my preference
                would be an OOC set so that it is not in the PCGen release (which could lead
                to some confusion) and we'd only need to update the set after each
                production release.
                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                ~ PCGen Board of Directors
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 8, 2009
                  I say keep the Beta. Heck, we keep 3.0 SRD set around....

                  Definitely needs a separate GameMode, and probably doesn't need to be
                  in the initial pop-up...

                  I don't think it should be removed from any releases. If we do that,
                  we might as well remove 3.0 support. I personally see it as the same
                  thing.

                  Tir Gwaith
                  PCGen LST Chimp
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 8, 2009
                    Tir Gwaith wrote:
                    > I say keep the Beta. Heck, we keep 3.0 SRD set around....
                    >
                    > Definitely needs a separate GameMode, and probably doesn't need to be
                    > in the initial pop-up...

                    We already have separate gamemodes for them. Not an issue. I'm getting
                    the feeling that most people want the option to use either one.
                    > I don't think it should be removed from any releases. If we do that,
                    > we might as well remove 3.0 support. I personally see it as the same
                    > thing.

                    I have to agree with Tir on this one. Beta and Full are two separate
                    entities just like 3e and 3.5e

                    > Tir Gwaith
                    > PCGen LST Chimp

                    > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                    Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                  • Eddy Anthony
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 8, 2009
                      Tir Gwaith wrote:
                      > I say keep the Beta. Heck, we keep 3.0 SRD set around....
                      >
                      > Definitely needs a separate GameMode, and probably doesn't need to be
                      > in the initial pop-up...
                      >
                      > I don't think it should be removed from any releases. If we do that,
                      > we might as well remove 3.0 support. I personally see it as the same
                      > thing.

                      Somehow I doubt Paizo would see it that way. I may be missing it but I
                      took a quick look at Paizo's site and I can no longer find a link to
                      download the beta rules.

                      If we keep it in the release we'll need to solve a particular problem
                      I've encountered: PCGen uses the name of the gameMode directory for
                      display on the top bar of the program and more importantly within the
                      character pcg files. So if you change the gameMode folder from
                      "Pathfinder" to something like "Pathfinder_Beta" you will no longer be
                      able to open previously created characters without manually editing
                      them. I think we can agree that we want to avoid this.

                      Currently the final set under development uses the same directory name
                      for it's gameMode as the beta. The simplest solution is to rename the
                      final gameMode directory to something different which effects less
                      pregenerated PC's because it hasn't gone public yet. So the question is
                      what should that be bearing in mind that that's what will appear on the
                      program bar display and in the pcg files.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 8, 2009
                        On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Eddy Anthony<eddyba@...> wrote:
                        > Tir Gwaith wrote:
                        >> I say keep the Beta.  Heck, we keep 3.0 SRD set around....
                        >>
                        >> Definitely needs a separate GameMode, and probably doesn't need to be
                        >> in the initial pop-up...
                        >>
                        >> I don't think it should be removed from any releases.  If we do that,
                        >> we might as well remove 3.0 support.  I personally see it as the same
                        >> thing.
                        >
                        > Somehow I doubt Paizo would see it that way. I may be missing it but I
                        > took a quick look at Paizo's site and I can no longer find a link to
                        > download the beta rules.

                        Same thing about 3.0 when the 3.5 SRD came out. Hence our placing the
                        3.0 SOURCE files we had into SVN. That's more marketing than anything
                        else (they want people to buy & adopt their final version, not the
                        beta). Wizards did exactly the same thing. Oh, I can still download
                        the Beta from my personal Paizo account.

                        Has Paizo specifically requested us to stop hosting Beta files? That
                        would be a different story, and that's one of the two reasons we've
                        removed datasets before (the other being the few that were sooo buggy
                        and out of date, and we couldn't get anyone with a source to help
                        out.).

                        > If we keep it in the release we'll need to solve a particular problem
                        > I've encountered: PCGen uses the name of the gameMode directory for
                        > display on the top bar of the program and more importantly within the
                        > character pcg files. So if you change the gameMode folder from
                        > "Pathfinder" to something like "Pathfinder_Beta" you will no longer be
                        > able to open previously created characters without manually editing
                        > them. I think we can agree that we want to avoid this.

                        It does? I thought that was the purpose of MENUENTRY (in
                        miscinfo.lst)? If all it does is the mnemonic, then it is fairly
                        dumb. We have the tag, just need to actually make the program use it
                        for the whole thing? If I'd known about that issue, I would have
                        pushed to call the Beta's GameMode PathfinderBeta or something. We
                        were fairly certain there would be GameMode changes between the Beta
                        and the Final.

                        > Currently the final set under development uses the same directory name
                        > for it's gameMode as the beta. The simplest solution is to rename the
                        > final gameMode directory to something different which effects less
                        > pregenerated PC's because it hasn't gone public yet. So the question is
                        > what should that be bearing in mind that that's what will appear on the
                        > program bar display and in the pcg files.

                        "Pathfinder RPG"... And for 5.17+/5.18 stable, let's have MENUENTRY
                        work, and make the Beta's display Pathfinder BETA.

                        Tir Gwaith
                        PCGen LST Chimp
                      • James Dempsey
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 9, 2009

                          On 9/09/2009 2:56 AM Eddy Anthony wrote
                          > Tir Gwaith wrote:
                          >
                          >> I say keep the Beta. Heck, we keep 3.0 SRD set around....
                          >>
                          >> Definitely needs a separate GameMode, and probably doesn't need to be
                          >> in the initial pop-up...
                          >>
                          >> I don't think it should be removed from any releases. If we do that,
                          >> we might as well remove 3.0 support. I personally see it as the same
                          >> thing.
                          >>

                          > Somehow I doubt Paizo would see it that way. I may be missing it but I
                          > took a quick look at Paizo's site and I can no longer find a link to
                          > download the beta rules.
                          >
                          > If we keep it in the release we'll need to solve a particular problem
                          > I've encountered: PCGen uses the name of the gameMode directory for
                          > display on the top bar of the program and more importantly within the
                          > character pcg files. So if you change the gameMode folder from
                          > "Pathfinder" to something like "Pathfinder_Beta" you will no longer be
                          > able to open previously created characters without manually editing
                          > them. I think we can agree that we want to avoid this.
                          >
                          > Currently the final set under development uses the same directory name
                          > for it's gameMode as the beta. The simplest solution is to rename the
                          > final gameMode directory to something different which effects less
                          > pregenerated PC's because it hasn't gone public yet. So the question is
                          > what should that be bearing in mind that that's what will appear on the
                          > program bar display and in the pcg files.

                          See
                          http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1549384&group_id=25576&atid=384719
                          for the last round on game mode names. This resulted in the GAMEMODEKEY
                          tag being created that allows the folder and the game mode name to be
                          different. That bug was all about the behind the scenes stuff though,
                          like PCC files and saved characters.

                          What can be done now is to have the program display the MENUENTRY
                          (without the & for shortcuts) when it wants to present a game mode name
                          to the user. That way you would see Pathfinder Beta in the program title
                          bar but the folder name could remain the same and characters would still
                          load. Would that solve the problem?

                          Cheers,
                          James Dempsey
                          PCGen Code SB
                        • Tir Gwaith
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 9, 2009
                            > See
                            > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1549384&group_id=25576&atid=384719
                            > for the last round on game mode names. This resulted in the GAMEMODEKEY
                            > tag being created that allows the folder and the game mode name to be
                            > different. That bug was all about the behind the scenes stuff though,
                            > like PCC files and saved characters.
                            >
                            > What can be done now is to have the program display the MENUENTRY
                            > (without the & for shortcuts) when it wants to present a game mode name
                            > to the user. That way you would see Pathfinder Beta in the program title
                            > bar but the folder name could remain the same and characters would still
                            > load. Would that solve the problem?

                            Totally. :)

                            I'll read the tracker when I get home from work.

                            Tir Gwaith
                            PCGen LST Chimp
                          • mosat22
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 9, 2009

                              > See
                              > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1549384&group_id=25576&atid=384719
                              > for the last round on game mode names. This resulted in the GAMEMODEKEY
                              > tag being created that allows the folder and the game mode name to be
                              > different. That bug was all about the behind the scenes stuff though,
                              > like PCC files and saved characters.
                              >
                              > What can be done now is to have the program display the MENUENTRY
                              > (without the & for shortcuts) when it wants to present a game mode name
                              > to the user. That way you would see Pathfinder Beta in the program title
                              > bar but the folder name could remain the same and characters would still
                              > load. Would that solve the problem?
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              > James Dempsey
                              > PCGen Code SB

                              Thanks for the blast from the past James, I knew it was something that put me through the ringer but I couldn't remember the details.

                              Yes I think your suggestion is a good resolution. Is it minor enough that it can be considered for the 5.16.2 release?

                              Thanks.
                              -Eddy