Re: [pcgen] Pathing Errors

  • Eric C Smith
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 6, 2009
      Greetings Folks!

      Hollis McCray wrote:

      > Greetings one and all!
      >
      > First things first: I am new to PCGen and just want to say I LO
      >
      > And last but not least, is there anything a newcomer like me can do to
      > help the Pathfinder data files along?
      >
      > --
      > Hollis McCray
      > Mutant Registration Number #US2002023904
      >
      > Warning: Proximity to this individual may expose you to the
      > following RPGs:
      > Fate: http://www.faterpg.com
      > Mutants & Masterminds: http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com
      > Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies: http://www.7skies.net/
      > Please visit these websites in order to protect yourself.

    • maredudd800
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 6, 2009
        Hi Folks!

        Hollis McCray wrote:

        > And last but not least, is there anything a newcomer like me can do to
        > help the Pathfinder data files along?

        There most certainly is!

        We will need lots of help from the PCGen Community beating
        the set up and driving out all the bugs!

        Of course the best thing I can tell you now is to keep your eyes
        pealed here for the next few days for some GOOD news about
        the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook data set! :-)

        When the data set hits the street you will be able to download
        it as an OOC Data Set from the regular PCGen Download site.

        For those not familiar with the OOC Data Sets, PCGen includes
        a feature, added during the 5.14.x cycle that allows the install-
        ation of new data sets configured for such. When the PF data set
        comes out, all you will need to do is download the Install file (a
        zip file) and save it unzipped on your local machine. Then you
        launch PCGen 5.16.1 and, under the "Tools" menu, select "Install
        Data". A window will pop up that will allow you to navigate to the
        newly downloaded OOC Data Set file and select it. You then simply
        click the "Install" button on the Install Window than click the "Yes"
        button on the two subsequent dialog boxes that pop up, and
        PCGen will complete the installation of the data set. As this set
        comes with a brand spanking new set of GameMode files, you will
        need to close and relaunch PCGen to get the GameMode to load
        properly, but then you'll be off and running.

        Eric C. Smith
        PR Silverback
        PCGen Board of Directors
      • maredudd800
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 6, 2009
          Sorry, Tried to respond from the iPhone. Still not used to the editing functions . . .

          Eric

          > Greetings Folks!
          >
          > Hollis McCray wrote:
          >
          > > Greetings one and all!
          > >
          > > First things first: I am new to PCGen and just want to say I LO
          > >
          > > And last but not least, is there anything a newcomer like me can do to
          > > help the Pathfinder data files along?
          > >
          > > --
          > > Hollis McCray
          > > Mutant Registration Number #US2002023904
          > >
          > > Warning: Proximity to this individual may expose you to the
          > > following RPGs:
          > > Fate: http://www.faterpg.com
          > > Mutants & Masterminds: http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com
          > > Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies: http://www.7skies.net/
          > > Please visit these websites in order to protect yourself.

        • Sigil Thane
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 6, 2009
            On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 14:20:38 -0500, maredudd800 <maredudd@...>
            wrote:

            > For those not familiar with the OOC Data Sets, PCGen includes
            > a feature, added during the 5.14.x cycle that allows the install-
            > ation of new data sets configured for such. When the PF data set
            > comes out, all you will need to do is download the Install file (a
            > zip file) and save it unzipped on your local machine. Then you
            > launch PCGen 5.16.1 and, under the "Tools" menu, select "Install
            > Data". A window will pop up that will allow you to navigate to the
            > newly downloaded OOC Data Set file and select it. You then simply
            > click the "Install" button on the Install Window than click the "Yes"
            > button on the two subsequent dialog boxes that pop up, and
            > PCGen will complete the installation of the data set. As this set
            > comes with a brand spanking new set of GameMode files, you will
            > need to close and relaunch PCGen to get the GameMode to load
            > properly, but then you'll be off and running.
            >
            > Eric C. Smith
            > PR Silverback
            > PCGen Board of Directors

            Will this replace the Beta Pathfinder gamemode on our systems? I hope not,
            to many gamers the Beta is the ruleset they are working under.

            ...assurances please.

          • maredudd800
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 6, 2009
              Hi Folks!

              Sigil Thane wrote:

              Some stuff about the upcoming Pathfinder Core
              Rulebook Data Set release deleted.

              (See the previous messages for details)

              > Will this replace the Beta Pathfinder gamemode on our systems? I hope not,
              > to many gamers the Beta is the ruleset they are working under.
              >
              > ...assurances please.

              There has been a little discussion among the data team
              working the new set about what needs to be done with
              the Pathfinder Beta data set and I believe a majority feeling
              we should do away with the beta set altogether, but, and
              let me stress this, there have been no decisions made
              because we all felt we needed to bring the question to
              the broader PCGen community.

              So, what are your feeling folks?

              Would you prefer to use the Pathfinder Beta data set over
              the upcoming Pathfinder Core Rulebook data set?

              Eric Smith
              PR Silverback
              PCGen Board of Directors
            • Sigil Thane
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 6, 2009
                On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 23:55:30 -0500, maredudd800 <maredudd@...>
                wrote:

                > Would you prefer to use the Pathfinder Beta data set over
                > the upcoming Pathfinder Core Rulebook data set?
                >
                > Eric Smith
                > PR Silverback
                > PCGen Board of Directors

                Consider this my vote for keeping the game modes separate.The Beta was
                released to the community free of charge, and there are likely ongoing
                games using this rules set. That said I wouldn't worry about adding the
                alpha support, as there was a lot of change between the alphas. The Beta
                however was pretty solid and had a following. I would be ticked
                (personally) if my DM decided he did not like the changes in the Release
                and was running from the Beta instead... and found that rules set was no
                longer supported by PCGen.

              • Stefan Radermacher
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
                  > So, what are your feeling folks?
                  >
                  > Would you prefer to use the Pathfinder Beta data set over
                  > the upcoming Pathfinder Core Rulebook data set?

                  I guess most people will want to use the Core Rulebook set, but it's quite
                  likely that some people might rather want to keep using the Beta data set.
                  Those, however, will probably in the minority. My proposal would be to delete
                  the Beta set from the general release and replace it with the Core Rulebook
                  set. The Bate set could then be released as an installable OOC data set so
                  that anyone who wants to use it can install it along the regular PCGen
                  package. However, this would make it necessary for the installable data set to
                  install a new game mode along with it, as the two sets have differing game
                  mode files.

                  Stefan.
                • Mike Elliott
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
                    Some stuff about the upcoming Pathfinder Core

                    Rulebook Data Set release deleted.

                    (See the previous messages for details)

                    > Will this replace the Beta Pathfinder gamemode on our systems? I hope not,

                    > to many gamers the Beta is the ruleset they are working under.

                    > ...assurances please.

                    There has been a little discussion among the data team

                    working the new set about what needs to be done with

                    the Pathfinder Beta data set and I believe a majority feeling

                    we should do away with the beta set altogether, but, and

                    let me stress this, there have been no decisions made

                    because we all felt we needed to bring the question to

                    the broader PCGen community.

                    So, what are your feeling folks?

                    Would you prefer to use the Pathfinder Beta data set over

                    the upcoming Pathfinder Core Rulebook data set?

                    Eric Smith

                    PR Silverback

                    PCGen Board of Directors
                    A perfect situation would be to:Keep the old Pathfinder Beta.  Maybe mark it as retired, but not dead yet.  Ie. Not expecting to be tweaked and updated from now on.
                    Add the Pathfinder Core in all it's glory.
                    Add a Pathfinder Society Organized Play.  This is a subset of the core rules that removes some feats and spells for a more balanced organized play.  (Scribe Scroll, Permanency, Item Creation feats all disappear.)   Many items would also need to be sorted into an "always available" vs "purchase available because of X" categories.  Even just two categories of "always available" vs "not" would be sufficient.But, the perfect situation is a lot of work.-Mike

                    __,_._

                  • David R. Bender
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
                      I agree with Stefan. The BETA needs to be kept around, but the menuentry
                      in the gamemode should be 'Pathfinder BETA', and the final rules should
                      be 'Pathfinder'.

                      David
                      Papa.DRB

                      Grognard (definition 1)
                      My better half and me

                      Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                      >> So, what are your feeling folks?
                      >>
                      >> Would you prefer to use the Pathfinder Beta data set over
                      >> the upcoming Pathfinder Core Rulebook data set?
                      >>

                      > I guess most people will want to use the Core Rulebook set, but it's quite
                      > likely that some people might rather want to keep using the Beta data set.
                      > Those, however, will probably in the minority. My proposal would be to delete
                      > the Beta set from the general release and replace it with the Core Rulebook
                      > set. The Bate set could then be released as an installable OOC data set so
                      > that anyone who wants to use it can install it along the regular PCGen
                      > package. However, this would make it necessary for the installable data set to
                      > install a new game mode along with it, as the two sets have differing game
                      > mode files.
                    • Hollis McCray
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
                        On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 4:39 AM, David R. Bender<Papa.DRB@...> wrote:

                        > I agree with Stefan. The BETA needs to be kept around, but the menuentry
                        > in the gamemode should be 'Pathfinder BETA', and the final rules should
                        > be 'Pathfinder'.

                        I'm agreeing as well. While I think most people will switch over to
                        the final print rules, there will probably still be some people who
                        are still using the beta rules.

                        Maybe we could use a page for datasets that are no longer maintained
                        or 'deprecated'? (To borrrow a bit of code-speak.)
                        --
                        Hollis McCray
                        Mutant Registration Number #US2002023904

                        Warning: Proximity to this individual may expose you to the following RPGs:
                        Fate: http://www.faterpg.com
                        Mutants & Masterminds: http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com
                        Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies: http://www.7skies.net/
                        Please visit these websites in order to protect yourself.
                      • Jeff Miller
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
                          I'm currently reading the Core Rulebook now. I like what I see and will
                          be switching son.

                          I can imagine that there will be people who will want continued support
                          for the free version but I don't currently see a need. Maybe freeze the
                          latest copy of PCGen for those who want the old set.

                          --

                          Jeff Miller
                          http://businesscredittips.weebly.com

                        • Eddy Anthony
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
                            Stefan Radermacher scribed:

                            >> So, what are your feeling folks?
                            >>
                            >> Would you prefer to use the Pathfinder Beta data set over
                            >> the upcoming Pathfinder Core Rulebook data set?
                            >
                            > I guess most people will want to use the Core Rulebook set, but it's quite
                            > likely that some people might rather want to keep using the Beta data set.
                            > Those, however, will probably in the minority. My proposal would be to delete
                            > the Beta set from the general release and replace it with the Core Rulebook
                            > set. The Bate set could then be released as an installable OOC data set so
                            > that anyone who wants to use it can install it along the regular PCGen
                            > package. However, this would make it necessary for the installable data set to
                            > install a new game mode along with it, as the two sets have differing game
                            > mode files.
                            >
                            > Stefan.

                            Why would this be necessary? If anyone wants to keep using the beta just
                            keep using 5.16.1, it not like that release is going anywhere. At this point
                            there will be no more work on the beta dataset, the LST monkeys involved
                            have all moved on to work on the final rules and source books to follow. For
                            us to keep the beta in the release or even as a OOC set means someone will
                            have to spend time maintaining it as we do with the other sets, and we are
                            limited in our monkeypower.

                            I will grant that with the advances with the data converter the maintenance
                            time should be much less than it has been in the past, so that is not really
                            a strong argument in and of itself. If we must keep it around my preference
                            would be an OOC set so that it is not in the PCGen release (which could lead
                            to some confusion) and we'd only need to update the set after each
                            production release.
                            --
                            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                            ~ PCGen Board of Directors
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 8, 2009
                              I say keep the Beta. Heck, we keep 3.0 SRD set around....

                              Definitely needs a separate GameMode, and probably doesn't need to be
                              in the initial pop-up...

                              I don't think it should be removed from any releases. If we do that,
                              we might as well remove 3.0 support. I personally see it as the same
                              thing.

                              Tir Gwaith
                              PCGen LST Chimp
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 8, 2009
                                Tir Gwaith wrote:
                                > I say keep the Beta. Heck, we keep 3.0 SRD set around....
                                >
                                > Definitely needs a separate GameMode, and probably doesn't need to be
                                > in the initial pop-up...

                                We already have separate gamemodes for them. Not an issue. I'm getting
                                the feeling that most people want the option to use either one.
                                > I don't think it should be removed from any releases. If we do that,
                                > we might as well remove 3.0 support. I personally see it as the same
                                > thing.

                                I have to agree with Tir on this one. Beta and Full are two separate
                                entities just like 3e and 3.5e

                                > Tir Gwaith
                                > PCGen LST Chimp

                                > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                              • Eddy Anthony
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 8, 2009
                                  Tir Gwaith wrote:
                                  > I say keep the Beta. Heck, we keep 3.0 SRD set around....
                                  >
                                  > Definitely needs a separate GameMode, and probably doesn't need to be
                                  > in the initial pop-up...
                                  >
                                  > I don't think it should be removed from any releases. If we do that,
                                  > we might as well remove 3.0 support. I personally see it as the same
                                  > thing.

                                  Somehow I doubt Paizo would see it that way. I may be missing it but I
                                  took a quick look at Paizo's site and I can no longer find a link to
                                  download the beta rules.

                                  If we keep it in the release we'll need to solve a particular problem
                                  I've encountered: PCGen uses the name of the gameMode directory for
                                  display on the top bar of the program and more importantly within the
                                  character pcg files. So if you change the gameMode folder from
                                  "Pathfinder" to something like "Pathfinder_Beta" you will no longer be
                                  able to open previously created characters without manually editing
                                  them. I think we can agree that we want to avoid this.

                                  Currently the final set under development uses the same directory name
                                  for it's gameMode as the beta. The simplest solution is to rename the
                                  final gameMode directory to something different which effects less
                                  pregenerated PC's because it hasn't gone public yet. So the question is
                                  what should that be bearing in mind that that's what will appear on the
                                  program bar display and in the pcg files.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 8, 2009
                                    On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Eddy Anthony<eddyba@...> wrote:
                                    > Tir Gwaith wrote:
                                    >> I say keep the Beta.  Heck, we keep 3.0 SRD set around....
                                    >>
                                    >> Definitely needs a separate GameMode, and probably doesn't need to be
                                    >> in the initial pop-up...
                                    >>
                                    >> I don't think it should be removed from any releases.  If we do that,
                                    >> we might as well remove 3.0 support.  I personally see it as the same
                                    >> thing.
                                    >
                                    > Somehow I doubt Paizo would see it that way. I may be missing it but I
                                    > took a quick look at Paizo's site and I can no longer find a link to
                                    > download the beta rules.

                                    Same thing about 3.0 when the 3.5 SRD came out. Hence our placing the
                                    3.0 SOURCE files we had into SVN. That's more marketing than anything
                                    else (they want people to buy & adopt their final version, not the
                                    beta). Wizards did exactly the same thing. Oh, I can still download
                                    the Beta from my personal Paizo account.

                                    Has Paizo specifically requested us to stop hosting Beta files? That
                                    would be a different story, and that's one of the two reasons we've
                                    removed datasets before (the other being the few that were sooo buggy
                                    and out of date, and we couldn't get anyone with a source to help
                                    out.).

                                    > If we keep it in the release we'll need to solve a particular problem
                                    > I've encountered: PCGen uses the name of the gameMode directory for
                                    > display on the top bar of the program and more importantly within the
                                    > character pcg files. So if you change the gameMode folder from
                                    > "Pathfinder" to something like "Pathfinder_Beta" you will no longer be
                                    > able to open previously created characters without manually editing
                                    > them. I think we can agree that we want to avoid this.

                                    It does? I thought that was the purpose of MENUENTRY (in
                                    miscinfo.lst)? If all it does is the mnemonic, then it is fairly
                                    dumb. We have the tag, just need to actually make the program use it
                                    for the whole thing? If I'd known about that issue, I would have
                                    pushed to call the Beta's GameMode PathfinderBeta or something. We
                                    were fairly certain there would be GameMode changes between the Beta
                                    and the Final.

                                    > Currently the final set under development uses the same directory name
                                    > for it's gameMode as the beta. The simplest solution is to rename the
                                    > final gameMode directory to something different which effects less
                                    > pregenerated PC's because it hasn't gone public yet. So the question is
                                    > what should that be bearing in mind that that's what will appear on the
                                    > program bar display and in the pcg files.

                                    "Pathfinder RPG"... And for 5.17+/5.18 stable, let's have MENUENTRY
                                    work, and make the Beta's display Pathfinder BETA.

                                    Tir Gwaith
                                    PCGen LST Chimp
                                  • James Dempsey
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 9, 2009

                                      On 9/09/2009 2:56 AM Eddy Anthony wrote
                                      > Tir Gwaith wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> I say keep the Beta. Heck, we keep 3.0 SRD set around....
                                      >>
                                      >> Definitely needs a separate GameMode, and probably doesn't need to be
                                      >> in the initial pop-up...
                                      >>
                                      >> I don't think it should be removed from any releases. If we do that,
                                      >> we might as well remove 3.0 support. I personally see it as the same
                                      >> thing.
                                      >>

                                      > Somehow I doubt Paizo would see it that way. I may be missing it but I
                                      > took a quick look at Paizo's site and I can no longer find a link to
                                      > download the beta rules.
                                      >
                                      > If we keep it in the release we'll need to solve a particular problem
                                      > I've encountered: PCGen uses the name of the gameMode directory for
                                      > display on the top bar of the program and more importantly within the
                                      > character pcg files. So if you change the gameMode folder from
                                      > "Pathfinder" to something like "Pathfinder_Beta" you will no longer be
                                      > able to open previously created characters without manually editing
                                      > them. I think we can agree that we want to avoid this.
                                      >
                                      > Currently the final set under development uses the same directory name
                                      > for it's gameMode as the beta. The simplest solution is to rename the
                                      > final gameMode directory to something different which effects less
                                      > pregenerated PC's because it hasn't gone public yet. So the question is
                                      > what should that be bearing in mind that that's what will appear on the
                                      > program bar display and in the pcg files.

                                      See
                                      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1549384&group_id=25576&atid=384719
                                      for the last round on game mode names. This resulted in the GAMEMODEKEY
                                      tag being created that allows the folder and the game mode name to be
                                      different. That bug was all about the behind the scenes stuff though,
                                      like PCC files and saved characters.

                                      What can be done now is to have the program display the MENUENTRY
                                      (without the & for shortcuts) when it wants to present a game mode name
                                      to the user. That way you would see Pathfinder Beta in the program title
                                      bar but the folder name could remain the same and characters would still
                                      load. Would that solve the problem?

                                      Cheers,
                                      James Dempsey
                                      PCGen Code SB
                                    • Tir Gwaith
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 9, 2009
                                        > See
                                        > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1549384&group_id=25576&atid=384719
                                        > for the last round on game mode names. This resulted in the GAMEMODEKEY
                                        > tag being created that allows the folder and the game mode name to be
                                        > different. That bug was all about the behind the scenes stuff though,
                                        > like PCC files and saved characters.
                                        >
                                        > What can be done now is to have the program display the MENUENTRY
                                        > (without the & for shortcuts) when it wants to present a game mode name
                                        > to the user. That way you would see Pathfinder Beta in the program title
                                        > bar but the folder name could remain the same and characters would still
                                        > load. Would that solve the problem?

                                        Totally. :)

                                        I'll read the tracker when I get home from work.

                                        Tir Gwaith
                                        PCGen LST Chimp
                                      • mosat22
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 9, 2009

                                          > See
                                          > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1549384&group_id=25576&atid=384719
                                          > for the last round on game mode names. This resulted in the GAMEMODEKEY
                                          > tag being created that allows the folder and the game mode name to be
                                          > different. That bug was all about the behind the scenes stuff though,
                                          > like PCC files and saved characters.
                                          >
                                          > What can be done now is to have the program display the MENUENTRY
                                          > (without the & for shortcuts) when it wants to present a game mode name
                                          > to the user. That way you would see Pathfinder Beta in the program title
                                          > bar but the folder name could remain the same and characters would still
                                          > load. Would that solve the problem?
                                          >
                                          > Cheers,
                                          > James Dempsey
                                          > PCGen Code SB

                                          Thanks for the blast from the past James, I knew it was something that put me through the ringer but I couldn't remember the details.

                                          Yes I think your suggestion is a good resolution. Is it minor enough that it can be considered for the 5.16.2 release?

                                          Thanks.
                                          -Eddy