Re: [Trackered] How to implement race change due to reincarnation

  • ainvarg
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 13, 2009
      Hey, Michael. Any further thoughts on this? Since I can't put my character in PCGen at the moment because of this lack, I thought I'd tinker with it some, but didn't want to cover ground you've already got covered. Have you had a chance to look at this? Any chance I can contribute?

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 13, 2009

        I think the template method might be your best bet.

        List what you need to change and one of us can walk you through it.

        -Andrew (At work)

        ________________________________
        Hey, Michael.  Any further thoughts on this?  Since I can't put my character in PCGen at the moment because of this lack, I thought I'd tinker with it some, but didn't want to cover ground you've already got covered.  Have you had a chance to look at this?  Any chance I can contribute?

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Fender" <fluxxdog@...> wrote:

        > Accessing file 4230.20110.2045
        >
        > Data from user ainvarg is as follows:
        >
        > Eh, it'll be another project for me.  I've got myself back on track with AEG
        > Feats sourcebook, and should have that done in the next couple weeks.  Then
        > Ill have something new to play with ^^
        >
        > And sometimes, things like this can lead to an improvement for the whole
        > program.  Never really know until you try.
        >
        > --
        > Fluxxdog
        >
        > The worst crime you can commit against another human being is to make them
        > think.

        ------------------------------------

        Related Lists
        PCGen's Wiki: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki
        PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki/index.php?title=Roadmap

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • ainvarg
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 13, 2009
          Thanks, Andrew!

          I think I see most of it, but there are a few that are probably globals that I'm missing. This is off the top of my head, so I may have some details missing or wrong, but I should be able to generalize once I see how you translate it into .lst tags.

          ----------------------
          I need to remove racial modifiers to physical stats (STR, DEX, CON) from the original race and add racial modifiers to physical stats for the reincarnated race. If we need specifics for a one-off solution, it's -2 to DEX, +4 to STR, +2 to CON.

          I need to add a Level Adjustment of +1 -- it appears that LEVELADJUSTMENT:1 is the tag for that, right?

          I need to add two levels of Monstrous Humanoid. Looking at the docs, I see HD and HITDIE, but don't get the feeling that either is what I'm looking for, quite.

          Those two levels should provide me with 2 levels' worth of skill points (2+Int Mod for monstrous humanoid). The class skills are Listen and Spot.

          I believe I can use the SA tag to add Darkvision, right?

          I need to add Natural Armor bonus of +1

          Movement type and speed did not change in this case, but in a general case, we would need to remove the current movement type and speed and replace them with the new forms'.

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 13, 2009
            ainvarg wrote:
            > Thanks, Andrew!
            >
            > I think I see most of it, but there are a few that are probably globals that I'm missing. This is off the top of my head, so I may have some details missing or wrong, but I should be able to generalize once I see how you translate it into .lst tags.
            >
            > ----------------------
            > I need to remove racial modifiers to physical stats (STR, DEX, CON) from the original race and add racial modifiers to physical stats for the reincarnated race. If we need specifics for a one-off solution, it's -2 to DEX, +4 to STR, +2 to CON.

            Yeah, throw it in a Template
            BONUS:STAT|STR|4
            BONUS:STAT|DEX|-2
            BONUS:STAT|CON|2
            > I need to add a Level Adjustment of +1 -- it appears that LEVELADJUSTMENT:1 is the tag for that, right?

            Correct.
            > I need to add two levels of Monstrous Humanoid. Looking at the docs, I see HD and HITDIE, but don't get the feeling that either is what I'm looking for, quite.

            That is a little more tricky, if you want PCGen to do it for you, then
            use this:

            KIT:1|Incarnate Monster Levels Two

            Then in the kit file
            STARTPACK:Incarnate Monster Levels Two
            CLASS:Monsterous Humanoid <> LEVEL:2

            Double check the syntax since I'm going off the top of my head on that.
            > Those two levels should provide me with 2 levels' worth of skill points (2+Int Mod for monstrous humanoid). The class skills are Listen and Spot.

            It should
            > I believe I can use the SA tag to add Darkvision, right?

            Huh, only if you really want, but SA is now SAB. Though this will work
            VISION:Darkvision (60')

            Since Vision is it's own tag and will show up.

            In any event SAB has been displaced by ABILITY using DESC. Just for
            future reference.

            If I was doing it as an Ability...

            ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Darkvision

            In the ability file
            Darkvision <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:SpecialQuality <>
            DESC:60' [OR] DESC:%1|DarkvisionRange
            DEFINE:DarkvisionRange|0 <> BONUS:VAR|DarkvisionRange|60

            That would allow an easy method of changing the vision range.

            > I need to add Natural Armor bonus of +1

            BONUS:COMBAT|AC|1|TYPE=NaturalArmor
            > Movement type and speed did not change in this case, but in a general case, we would need to remove the current movement type and speed and replace them with the new forms'.

            On a case by case basis currently. BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.MovementName|-30
            Then MOVE:Walk,30 for adding movement of Walk at a base rate of 30.

            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> I think the template method might be your best bet.
            >>
            >> List what you need to change and one of us can walk you through it.
            >>
            >> -Andrew (At work)
            >>

            >> ________________________________

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          • ainvarg
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 13, 2009

              > ainvarg wrote:
              > > ----------------------
              > > I need to remove racial modifiers to physical stats (STR, DEX, CON) from the original race and add racial modifiers to physical stats for the reincarnated race. If we need specifics for a one-off solution, it's -2 to DEX, +4 to STR, +2 to CON.
              > >

              > Yeah, throw it in a Template
              > BONUS:STAT|STR|4
              > BONUS:STAT|DEX|-2
              > BONUS:STAT|CON|2

              These are working -- well, once I realize I'd given you the wrong numbers, I got them working.

              > > I need to add a Level Adjustment of +1 -- it appears that LEVELADJUSTMENT:1 is the tag for that, right?
              > >
              > Correct.

              I'm not sure this is accomplishing what I thought it would. I need the character to gain two levels of monstrous humanoid complete with skills, feats, ability jumps (if appropriate), but in addition he needs to be gaining his xp as though he's yet another (ie, a third) level higher than his character levels. I assumed that this tag would provide that "third" level. Sound right?

              > > I need to add two levels of Monstrous Humanoid. Looking at the docs, I see HD and HITDIE, but don't get the feeling that either is what I'm looking for, quite.
              > >
              > That is a little more tricky, if you want PCGen to do it for you, then
              > use this:
              >
              > KIT:1|Incarnate Monster Levels Two
              >
              > Then in the kit file
              > STARTPACK:Incarnate Monster Levels Two
              > CLASS:Monsterous Humanoid <> LEVEL:2
              >
              > Double check the syntax since I'm going off the top of my head on that.

              It loads without any errors, but it doesn't seem to be including the levels of monstrous humanoid to determine, for example, the number of feats or the number of skills that are due the character. Your qualifier in that statement got me thinking, however. I'm going to see if I can apply RACETYPE in the template and manually add the two levels of monstrous humanoid. Sound reasonable?

              > > Those two levels should provide me with 2 levels' worth of skill points (2+Int Mod for monstrous humanoid). The class skills are Listen and Spot.
              > >

              > It should
              > > I believe I can use the SA tag to add Darkvision, right?
              > >

              > Huh, only if you really want, but SA is now SAB. Though this will work
              > VISION:Darkvision (60')
              >
              > Since Vision is it's own tag and will show up.
              >
              > In any event SAB has been displaced by ABILITY using DESC. Just for
              > future reference.
              >
              > If I was doing it as an Ability...
              >
              > ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Darkvision
              >
              > In the ability file
              > Darkvision <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:SpecialQuality <>
              > DESC:60' [OR] DESC:%1|DarkvisionRange
              > DEFINE:DarkvisionRange|0 <> BONUS:VAR|DarkvisionRange|60
              >
              > That would allow an easy method of changing the vision range.

              No need since it's a one-off and not a general solution to the problem. VISION tag is great and works fine.

              > > I need to add Natural Armor bonus of +1
              > >

              > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|1|TYPE=NaturalArmor

              Got it

              > > Movement type and speed did not change in this case, but in a general case, we would need to remove the current movement type and speed and replace them with the new forms'.
              > >

              > On a case by case basis currently.

              Then I'm not worried about these particular changes. Thanks for illustrating, though.

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 13, 2009
                Not sure why, but setting the RACETYPE in the template doesn't appear to be changing the race from elf to monstrous humanoid. Perhaps there's something more than "RACETYPE: Monstrous Humanoid"?

                I've got it working by ignoring class prereqs, though...

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 13, 2009
                  ainvarg wrote:
                  > Not sure why, but setting the RACETYPE in the template doesn't appear to be changing the race from elf to monstrous humanoid. Perhaps there's something more than "RACETYPE: Monstrous Humanoid"?

                  No space for the first part - 'RACETYPE:Monstrous Humanoid'. Second,
                  RACETYPE won't change the race, just the Race Type. Your Race Type as an
                  Elf is "Humanoid" with the RACESUBTYPE of Elf. You gave up the Humanoid
                  type for the Monstrous Humanoid. But that won't change the classes or
                  your actual race.

                  > I've got it working by ignoring class prereqs, though...
                  >
                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ainvarg" <ainvarg@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@> wrote:

                  >>> Yeah, throw it in a Template
                  >>> BONUS:STAT|STR|4
                  >>> BONUS:STAT|DEX|-2

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 13, 2009
                    ainvarg wrote:

                    >> ainvarg wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> ----------------------
                    >>> I need to remove racial modifiers to physical stats (STR, DEX, CON) from the original race and add racial modifiers to physical stats for the reincarnated race. If we need specifics for a one-off solution, it's -2 to DEX, +4 to STR, +2 to CON.
                    >>>

                    >> Yeah, throw it in a Template
                    >> BONUS:STAT|STR|4
                    >> BONUS:STAT|DEX|-2
                    >> BONUS:STAT|CON|2
                    >>

                    > These are working -- well, once I realize I'd given you the wrong numbers, I got them working.

                    Well, I'm working with what you give. Oh, BTW, we really should be
                    discussing the lst aspects on the Pcgen List File Help Group and not the
                    general list. But we'll let it pass this time around.

                    >>> I need to add a Level Adjustment of +1 -- it appears that LEVELADJUSTMENT:1 is the tag for that, right?
                    >>>

                    >> Correct.
                    >>

                    > I'm not sure this is accomplishing what I thought it would. I need the character to gain two levels of monstrous humanoid complete with skills, feats, ability jumps (if appropriate), but in addition he needs to be gaining his xp as though he's yet another (ie, a third) level higher than his character levels. I assumed that this tag would provide that "third" level. Sound right?

                    What that does is Add a 'fake' level to your character... Like How Drow
                    are ECL+3, LEVELADJUSTMENT:3 makes pcgen think they are two level higher
                    for XP needed to level, no adding of HD, or Skills or anything else.

                    >>> I need to add two levels of Monstrous Humanoid. Looking at the docs, I see HD and HITDIE, but don't get the feeling that either is what I'm looking for, quite.
                    >>>

                    >> That is a little more tricky, if you want PCGen to do it for you, then
                    >> use this:
                    >>
                    >> KIT:1|Incarnate Monster Levels Two
                    >>
                    >> Then in the kit file
                    >> STARTPACK:Incarnate Monster Levels Two
                    >> CLASS:Monsterous Humanoid <> LEVEL:2
                    >>
                    >> Double check the syntax since I'm going off the top of my head on that.
                    >>

                    > It loads without any errors, but it doesn't seem to be including the levels of monstrous humanoid to determine, for example, the number of feats or the number of skills that are due the character. Your qualifier in that statement got me thinking, however. I'm going to see if I can apply RACETYPE in the template and manually add the two levels of monstrous humanoid. Sound reasonable?

                    You can try with that method. If it didn't add the levels, then I'll
                    need to look at it. You can apply a Template via Kit which would solve
                    that issue of meeting the PREREQs.

                    >>> Those two levels should provide me with 2 levels' worth of skill points (2+Int Mod for monstrous humanoid). The class skills are Listen and Spot.
                    >>>

                    >> It should
                    >>
                    >>> I believe I can use the SA tag to add Darkvision, right?
                    >>>

                    >> Huh, only if you really want, but SA is now SAB. Though this will work
                    >> VISION:Darkvision (60')
                    >>
                    >> Since Vision is it's own tag and will show up.
                    >>
                    >> In any event SAB has been displaced by ABILITY using DESC. Just for
                    >> future reference.
                    >>
                    >> If I was doing it as an Ability...
                    >>
                    >> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Darkvision
                    >>
                    >> In the ability file
                    >> Darkvision <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:SpecialQuality <>
                    >> DESC:60' [OR] DESC:%1|DarkvisionRange
                    >> DEFINE:DarkvisionRange|0 <> BONUS:VAR|DarkvisionRange|60
                    >>
                    >> That would allow an easy method of changing the vision range.
                    >>

                    > No need since it's a one-off and not a general solution to the problem. VISION tag is great and works fine.

                    Just illuminating the full range of possibilities. What is creative is
                    if you take the VarName and place it in the vision tag...

                    VISION:Darkvision (0')
                    BONUS:VISION|Darkvision|DarkvisionRange

                    Handy when you need to code feats/abilities that add to your Darkvision
                    range...

                    >>> I need to add Natural Armor bonus of +1
                    >>>

                    >> BONUS:COMBAT|AC|1|TYPE=NaturalArmor
                    >>

                    > Got it
                    >

                    >>> Movement type and speed did not change in this case, but in a general case, we would need to remove the current movement type and speed and replace them with the new forms'.
                    >>>

                    >> On a case by case basis currently.
                    >>

                    > Then I'm not worried about these particular changes. Thanks for illustrating, though.

                    Your welcome