Re: Modify bonus spells

  • The_Grail_Hermit
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 29, 2009
      I think I may have found out why my formulas keep coming out wrong on the character sheet...

      This is what I ended up with...

      BONUS|SKILL|TYPE.WISDOM|-((((Wis-10)+INSANITY)/2)-((WIS-10)/2))

      Which, essentially, finds the difference between the wisdom modifyer with the Insanity bonus and without and adds it as a penalty. Since I can't seem to find a way to alter the stat bonus directly, I have to work around it by adding a seperate penalty.

      The problem, I've found, is that it rounds down AFTER comleting the calculation. I need it to round down BEFORE subtracting an unmodified wisdom modifer. It works fine if you have an even Insanity score, by not when it's odd.

      OR

      I need to somehow edit the stat that PCGEN looks at to determine the modifyer for Skills and saves -only-.

      BASESPELLSTAT works for the spells, is there something like a BASESKILLSTAT|Wis and BASESAVESTAT|Wis(or Will)?

      I can't just us INSANITY/2, because it dosn't calculate correctly when both Insanity and Wisdom score is odd
      Wisdom 21(+5) - insanity 7 = Wisdom 14 (+2)
      Wisdom 21(+5) - insanity 7/2(3.5) = (+2)
      Wisdom 20 (+5) - insanity 7 = Wisdom 13 (+1)
      Wisdom 20 (+5) - insanity 7/2(3.5) = (+2)

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "The_Grail_Hermit" <biobillnw@...> wrote:

      > Alrighty, I'll re-word it. I also noticed an error in my orignal code anyhow.
      >
      > W - Wisdom
      > M - Wisdom Modifer
      > I - Insanity Score (Caster level / 2)
      >
      > The way it is...
      >
      > Total Will save
      > BASE + M - I
      >
      > Skill Heal (example)
      > RANK + M - I
      >
      > The way is should be...
      >
      > Total Will Save
      > BASE + ((W-10)-I)/2
      >
      > Skill Heal (example)
      > RANK + ((W-10)-I)/2
      >
      > Essentially, Instead of using the natural wisdom score to determine the modifyer for Will and Wisdom-based skills ((Wis-10)/2), it subtracts the insanity score before calculating the bonus.(((Wis-10)+INSANITY)/2)
      >
      > Further example...
      > Wisdom 14(+2) naturally
      > Level 6 Insanity score (3)
      >
      > Wisdom 11 (+0) for all skills and saves.
      >
      > Wisdom 17 (+3) for spell DC and bonus spells per day.
      >

      > > Well, let me ask this... Is the Skill Supposed to be straight Insanity
      > > or Half the Insanity value?
      > >
      > > Explain the formula and one of the formula savvy monkeys will definitely
      > > speak up.

    • The_Grail_Hermit
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 30, 2009
        I found way to do it, but I also found a massive flaw in everyhting I've been doing.

        In my calculations, I've been using "Wisdom"
        Example...

        BONUS:_____|Wisdom-_____

        "Wisdom" is not a valid variable, it seems, so it was calculating it as a zero. How do I use a stat score (Not the modifier) in a calculation? I can't just double WIS because it won't take into account odd wisdom scores.

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "The_Grail_Hermit" <biobillnw@...> wrote:

        > I think I may have found out why my formulas keep coming out wrong on the character sheet...
        >
        > This is what I ended up with...
        >
        > BONUS|SKILL|TYPE.WISDOM|-((((Wis-10)+INSANITY)/2)-((WIS-10)/2))
        >
        > Which, essentially, finds the difference between the wisdom modifyer with the Insanity bonus and without and adds it as a penalty. Since I can't seem to find a way to alter the stat bonus directly, I have to work around it by adding a seperate penalty.
        >
        > The problem, I've found, is that it rounds down AFTER comleting the calculation. I need it to round down BEFORE subtracting an unmodified wisdom modifer. It works fine if you have an even Insanity score, by not when it's odd.
        >
        > OR
        >
        > I need to somehow edit the stat that PCGEN looks at to determine the modifyer for Skills and saves -only-.
        >
        > BASESPELLSTAT works for the spells, is there something like a BASESKILLSTAT|Wis and BASESAVESTAT|Wis(or Will)?
        >
        > I can't just us INSANITY/2, because it dosn't calculate correctly when both Insanity and Wisdom score is odd
        > Wisdom 21(+5) - insanity 7 = Wisdom 14 (+2)
        > Wisdom 21(+5) - insanity 7/2(3.5) = (+2)
        > Wisdom 20 (+5) - insanity 7 = Wisdom 13 (+1)
        > Wisdom 20 (+5) - insanity 7/2(3.5) = (+2)
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "The_Grail_Hermit" <biobillnw@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Alrighty, I'll re-word it. I also noticed an error in my orignal code anyhow.
        > >
        > > W - Wisdom
        > > M - Wisdom Modifer
        > > I - Insanity Score (Caster level / 2)
        > >
        > > The way it is...
        > >
        > > Total Will save
        > > BASE + M - I
        > >
        > > Skill Heal (example)
        > > RANK + M - I
        > >
        > > The way is should be...
        > >
        > > Total Will Save
        > > BASE + ((W-10)-I)/2
        > >
        > > Skill Heal (example)
        > > RANK + ((W-10)-I)/2
        > >
        > > Essentially, Instead of using the natural wisdom score to determine the modifyer for Will and Wisdom-based skills ((Wis-10)/2), it subtracts the insanity score before calculating the bonus.(((Wis-10)+INSANITY)/2)
        > >
        > > Further example...
        > > Wisdom 14(+2) naturally
        > > Level 6 Insanity score (3)
        > >
        > > Wisdom 11 (+0) for all skills and saves.
        > >
        > > Wisdom 17 (+3) for spell DC and bonus spells per day.
        > >

        > > > Well, let me ask this... Is the Skill Supposed to be straight Insanity
        > > > or Half the Insanity value?
        > > >
        > > > Explain the formula and one of the formula savvy monkeys will definitely
        > > > speak up.

      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 30, 2009
          The_Grail_Hermit scribed:

          > I found way to do it, but I also found a massive flaw in everyhting I've been
          > doing.
          >
          > In my calculations, I've been using "Wisdom"
          > Example...
          >
          > BONUS:_____|Wisdom-_____
          >
          > "Wisdom" is not a valid variable, it seems, so it was calculating it as a
          > zero. How do I use a stat score (Not the modifier) in a calculation? I can't
          > just double WIS because it won't take into account odd wisdom scores.

          Use WISSCORE, works the same for the other stats too, STRSCORE, DEXSCORE,
          etc..
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Board of Directors
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 5, 2009
            Alright, using this information I was finally able to make a work around fix for the Madness domain.

            Basically, I have the domain subtract WIS from Will and wisdom-based skills, effectivly negating the wisdom bonus. Then, I created a variable that equaled Wisdom minus Insanity. After that, I added bonuses to the previously mentioned stats with a formula that calculated the new wisdom modifyer.

            Here is the final product.

            DEFINE:INSANEWISDOM|WISSCORE-INSANITY
            DEFINE:INSANITY|0
            BONUS:VAR|INSANITY|(VAR("CL=CLERIC")+VAR("BL=CLERIC"))/2
            BONUS:STAT|BASESPELLSTAT|INSANITY
            BONUS:CHECKS|Will|-WIS
            BONUS:CHECKS|Will|(INSANEWISDOM-10)/2
            BONUS:SKILL|TYPE.WISDOM|-WIS
            BONUS:SKILL|TYPE.WISDOM|(INSANEWISDOM-10)/2
            SA:Insanity score %|INSANITY