Modify bonus spells

  • The_Grail_Hermit
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 29, 2009
      I'm afraid I haven't had much luck finding a solution to this via search, so I thought to ask myself. I was to code a bonus, that will applied, increases the stat when determining bonus spells per day.

      For instance, when this is applied, I want it to add 4 to an INT of 18 when it calculates Bonus spells per day.
      I use...
      BONUS:STAT|BASESPELLSTAT|4

      This seems to only increase the DC, nothing else. Am I doing something wrong?
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 29, 2009
        The_Grail_Hermit wrote:
        > I'm afraid I haven't had much luck finding a solution to this via search, so I thought to ask myself. I was to code a bonus, that will applied, increases the stat when determining bonus spells per day.
        >
        > For instance, when this is applied, I want it to add 4 to an INT of 18 when it calculates Bonus spells per day.
        > I use...
        > BONUS:STAT|BASESPELLSTAT|4

        I'd be surprised to find that even works... the proper tag you want:

        BONUS:STAT|BASESPELLKNOWNSTAT|4

        That will increase the spells known for you.
        > This seems to only increase the DC, nothing else. Am I doing something wrong?

        Looks like your using a tag that doesn't exist, or if this works, an
        undocumented tag.

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki
        > PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki/index.php?title=Roadmap

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 29, 2009
          Andrew Maitland wrote:

          A quick correction. I found the tag you are using... wasn't under the
          Bonus Section.
          > The_Grail_Hermit wrote:
          >
          >> I'm afraid I haven't had much luck finding a solution to this via search, so I thought to ask myself. I was to code a bonus, that will applied, increases the stat when determining bonus spells per day.
          >>
          >> For instance, when this is applied, I want it to add 4 to an INT of 18 when it calculates Bonus spells per day.
          >> I use...
          >> BONUS:STAT|BASESPELLSTAT|4
          >>

          > I'd be surprised to find that even works... the proper tag you want:
          >
          > BONUS:STAT|BASESPELLKNOWNSTAT|4
          >
          > That will increase the spells known for you.
          >
          >> This seems to only increase the DC, nothing else. Am I doing something wrong?
          >>

          > Looks like your using a tag that doesn't exist, or if this works, an
          > undocumented tag.

          Gah, the docs have it in a different location... nevermind. It's a
          documented stat. Looks like it adds the the bonus cast stuff.

          >> ------------------------------------
          >>
          >> Related Lists
          >> PCGen's Wiki: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki
          >> PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki/index.php?title=Roadmap

          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        • The_Grail_Hermit
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 29, 2009
            Ooops, I found the culprit.
            I'm attempting to make a correction in the Madness domain, using the Insanity score rule varient.

            The version I have adds a straight INSANITY to spell stat, and subtracts a straight INSANITY from Will and Wisdom skills. The first part is correct (Which I mistaken thought wasn't, until just a moment ago) ut the last two are not. From what I understand, it's not supposed to subtract a straight number, but subtract INSANITY from Wisdom before calculating the bonus from Wisdom.

            I.E
            16 Wisdom, level 10

            Will gets a +0 from Wisdom (11 = +0)
            Level 0 Spell DC gets +5 (21 = +5)

            Currently it does this...
            BONUS|SKILL|TYPE.WISDOM|-INSANITY
            BONUS|CHECKS|Will|-INSANITY

            I fixed it by doing this (I'm still new to this, if it seems cluttered)
            BONUS|SKILL|TYPE.WISDOM|-(((WISDOM-10)-INSANITY)/2)-((WISDOM-10)/2)
            BONUS|CHECKS|Will|-(((WISDOM-10)-INSANITY)/2)-((WISDOM-10)/2)

            Is there a cleaner way to word that?

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 29, 2009
              This isn't for Spells Known, but Spells per Day.

              The version I'm using may not be completely up to date, so I don't know if that command was phased out. But, as noted a moment ago when I replied to my own post, I got it to work. I was looking at it the wrong way.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 29, 2009
                The_Grail_Hermit wrote:
                > This isn't for Spells Known, but Spells per Day.
                >
                > The version I'm using may not be completely up to date, so I don't know if that command was phased out. But, as noted a moment ago when I replied to my own post, I got it to work. I was looking at it the wrong way.

                Ah, glad you figured it out.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 29, 2009
                  The_Grail_Hermit wrote:
                  > Ooops, I found the culprit.
                  > I'm attempting to make a correction in the Madness domain, using the Insanity score rule varient.
                  >
                  > The version I have adds a straight INSANITY to spell stat, and subtracts a straight INSANITY from Will and Wisdom skills. The first part is correct (Which I mistaken thought wasn't, until just a moment ago) ut the last two are not. From what I understand, it's not supposed to subtract a straight number, but subtract INSANITY from Wisdom before calculating the bonus from Wisdom.

                  Not sure I'm following along here... I'll have to look up the madness
                  domain.
                  > I.E
                  > 16 Wisdom, level 10
                  >
                  > Will gets a +0 from Wisdom (11 = +0)
                  > Level 0 Spell DC gets +5 (21 = +5)

                  Not sure how you got those numbers, seems a formula is missing... I'm
                  missing an X or something. Unless Level is X.
                  > Currently it does this...
                  > BONUS|SKILL|TYPE.WISDOM|-INSANITY
                  > BONUS|CHECKS|Will|-INSANITY
                  >
                  > I fixed it by doing this (I'm still new to this, if it seems cluttered)
                  > BONUS|SKILL|TYPE.WISDOM|-(((WISDOM-10)-INSANITY)/2)-((WISDOM-10)/2)
                  > BONUS|CHECKS|Will|-(((WISDOM-10)-INSANITY)/2)-((WISDOM-10)/2)
                  >
                  > Is there a cleaner way to word that?

                  Well, let me ask this... Is the Skill Supposed to be straight Insanity
                  or Half the Insanity value?

                  Explain the formula and one of the formula savvy monkeys will definitely
                  speak up.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 29, 2009
                    Alrighty, I'll re-word it. I also noticed an error in my orignal code anyhow.

                    W - Wisdom
                    M - Wisdom Modifer
                    I - Insanity Score (Caster level / 2)

                    The way it is...

                    Total Will save
                    BASE + M - I

                    Skill Heal (example)
                    RANK + M - I

                    The way is should be...

                    Total Will Save
                    BASE + ((W-10)-I)/2

                    Skill Heal (example)
                    RANK + ((W-10)-I)/2

                    Essentially, Instead of using the natural wisdom score to determine the modifyer for Will and Wisdom-based skills ((Wis-10)/2), it subtracts the insanity score before calculating the bonus.(((Wis-10)+INSANITY)/2)

                    Further example...
                    Wisdom 14(+2) naturally
                    Level 6 Insanity score (3)

                    Wisdom 11 (+0) for all skills and saves.

                    Wisdom 17 (+3) for spell DC and bonus spells per day.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 29, 2009
                      The_Grail_Hermit wrote:

                      This is how I've got mine evil 'insanity' not even released stuff (From
                      a module... I've had it sitting around for years).

                      For a certain class I use:
                      DEFINE:InsanityScore|0
                      BONUS:VAR|InsanityScore|CL/2

                      BONUS:SKILL|TYPE.Wisdom|-InsanityScore
                      BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Will|-InsanityScore

                      Checking out our Insanity in the actual PCGen, hmm, this is what I get:

                      ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Insanity (Inside is the
                      DEFINE:Insanity|0 and the DESC tag)

                      BONUS:CHECKS|Will|-Insanity
                      BONUS:DC|TYPE.Divine|Insanity
                      BONUS:SKILL|TYPE.Wisdom|-Insanity
                      BONUS:STAT|BASESPELLSTAT|Insanity
                      BONUS:VAR|Insanity|(var("CL=Cleric")+var("BL=Cleric"))/2

                      Based on that, every two levels of Cleric you gain on Insanity point, so
                      what is not working for you in this regard? Or does your variant do
                      things slightly different?)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 29, 2009
                        I think I may have found out why my formulas keep coming out wrong on the character sheet...

                        This is what I ended up with...

                        BONUS|SKILL|TYPE.WISDOM|-((((Wis-10)+INSANITY)/2)-((WIS-10)/2))

                        Which, essentially, finds the difference between the wisdom modifyer with the Insanity bonus and without and adds it as a penalty. Since I can't seem to find a way to alter the stat bonus directly, I have to work around it by adding a seperate penalty.

                        The problem, I've found, is that it rounds down AFTER comleting the calculation. I need it to round down BEFORE subtracting an unmodified wisdom modifer. It works fine if you have an even Insanity score, by not when it's odd.

                        OR

                        I need to somehow edit the stat that PCGEN looks at to determine the modifyer for Skills and saves -only-.

                        BASESPELLSTAT works for the spells, is there something like a BASESKILLSTAT|Wis and BASESAVESTAT|Wis(or Will)?

                        I can't just us INSANITY/2, because it dosn't calculate correctly when both Insanity and Wisdom score is odd
                        Wisdom 21(+5) - insanity 7 = Wisdom 14 (+2)
                        Wisdom 21(+5) - insanity 7/2(3.5) = (+2)
                        Wisdom 20 (+5) - insanity 7 = Wisdom 13 (+1)
                        Wisdom 20 (+5) - insanity 7/2(3.5) = (+2)

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "The_Grail_Hermit" <biobillnw@...> wrote:

                        > Alrighty, I'll re-word it. I also noticed an error in my orignal code anyhow.
                        >
                        > W - Wisdom
                        > M - Wisdom Modifer
                        > I - Insanity Score (Caster level / 2)
                        >
                        > The way it is...
                        >
                        > Total Will save
                        > BASE + M - I
                        >
                        > Skill Heal (example)
                        > RANK + M - I
                        >
                        > The way is should be...
                        >
                        > Total Will Save
                        > BASE + ((W-10)-I)/2
                        >
                        > Skill Heal (example)
                        > RANK + ((W-10)-I)/2
                        >
                        > Essentially, Instead of using the natural wisdom score to determine the modifyer for Will and Wisdom-based skills ((Wis-10)/2), it subtracts the insanity score before calculating the bonus.(((Wis-10)+INSANITY)/2)
                        >
                        > Further example...
                        > Wisdom 14(+2) naturally
                        > Level 6 Insanity score (3)
                        >
                        > Wisdom 11 (+0) for all skills and saves.
                        >
                        > Wisdom 17 (+3) for spell DC and bonus spells per day.
                        >

                        > > Well, let me ask this... Is the Skill Supposed to be straight Insanity
                        > > or Half the Insanity value?
                        > >
                        > > Explain the formula and one of the formula savvy monkeys will definitely
                        > > speak up.

                      • The_Grail_Hermit
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 30, 2009
                          I found way to do it, but I also found a massive flaw in everyhting I've been doing.

                          In my calculations, I've been using "Wisdom"
                          Example...

                          BONUS:_____|Wisdom-_____

                          "Wisdom" is not a valid variable, it seems, so it was calculating it as a zero. How do I use a stat score (Not the modifier) in a calculation? I can't just double WIS because it won't take into account odd wisdom scores.

                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "The_Grail_Hermit" <biobillnw@...> wrote:

                          > I think I may have found out why my formulas keep coming out wrong on the character sheet...
                          >
                          > This is what I ended up with...
                          >
                          > BONUS|SKILL|TYPE.WISDOM|-((((Wis-10)+INSANITY)/2)-((WIS-10)/2))
                          >
                          > Which, essentially, finds the difference between the wisdom modifyer with the Insanity bonus and without and adds it as a penalty. Since I can't seem to find a way to alter the stat bonus directly, I have to work around it by adding a seperate penalty.
                          >
                          > The problem, I've found, is that it rounds down AFTER comleting the calculation. I need it to round down BEFORE subtracting an unmodified wisdom modifer. It works fine if you have an even Insanity score, by not when it's odd.
                          >
                          > OR
                          >
                          > I need to somehow edit the stat that PCGEN looks at to determine the modifyer for Skills and saves -only-.
                          >
                          > BASESPELLSTAT works for the spells, is there something like a BASESKILLSTAT|Wis and BASESAVESTAT|Wis(or Will)?
                          >
                          > I can't just us INSANITY/2, because it dosn't calculate correctly when both Insanity and Wisdom score is odd
                          > Wisdom 21(+5) - insanity 7 = Wisdom 14 (+2)
                          > Wisdom 21(+5) - insanity 7/2(3.5) = (+2)
                          > Wisdom 20 (+5) - insanity 7 = Wisdom 13 (+1)
                          > Wisdom 20 (+5) - insanity 7/2(3.5) = (+2)
                          >
                          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "The_Grail_Hermit" <biobillnw@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Alrighty, I'll re-word it. I also noticed an error in my orignal code anyhow.
                          > >
                          > > W - Wisdom
                          > > M - Wisdom Modifer
                          > > I - Insanity Score (Caster level / 2)
                          > >
                          > > The way it is...
                          > >
                          > > Total Will save
                          > > BASE + M - I
                          > >
                          > > Skill Heal (example)
                          > > RANK + M - I
                          > >
                          > > The way is should be...
                          > >
                          > > Total Will Save
                          > > BASE + ((W-10)-I)/2
                          > >
                          > > Skill Heal (example)
                          > > RANK + ((W-10)-I)/2
                          > >
                          > > Essentially, Instead of using the natural wisdom score to determine the modifyer for Will and Wisdom-based skills ((Wis-10)/2), it subtracts the insanity score before calculating the bonus.(((Wis-10)+INSANITY)/2)
                          > >
                          > > Further example...
                          > > Wisdom 14(+2) naturally
                          > > Level 6 Insanity score (3)
                          > >
                          > > Wisdom 11 (+0) for all skills and saves.
                          > >
                          > > Wisdom 17 (+3) for spell DC and bonus spells per day.
                          > >

                          > > > Well, let me ask this... Is the Skill Supposed to be straight Insanity
                          > > > or Half the Insanity value?
                          > > >
                          > > > Explain the formula and one of the formula savvy monkeys will definitely
                          > > > speak up.

                        • Eddy Anthony
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 30, 2009
                            The_Grail_Hermit scribed:

                            > I found way to do it, but I also found a massive flaw in everyhting I've been
                            > doing.
                            >
                            > In my calculations, I've been using "Wisdom"
                            > Example...
                            >
                            > BONUS:_____|Wisdom-_____
                            >
                            > "Wisdom" is not a valid variable, it seems, so it was calculating it as a
                            > zero. How do I use a stat score (Not the modifier) in a calculation? I can't
                            > just double WIS because it won't take into account odd wisdom scores.

                            Use WISSCORE, works the same for the other stats too, STRSCORE, DEXSCORE,
                            etc..
                            --
                            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                            ~ PCGen Board of Directors
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 5, 2009
                              Alright, using this information I was finally able to make a work around fix for the Madness domain.

                              Basically, I have the domain subtract WIS from Will and wisdom-based skills, effectivly negating the wisdom bonus. Then, I created a variable that equaled Wisdom minus Insanity. After that, I added bonuses to the previously mentioned stats with a formula that calculated the new wisdom modifyer.

                              Here is the final product.

                              DEFINE:INSANEWISDOM|WISSCORE-INSANITY
                              DEFINE:INSANITY|0
                              BONUS:VAR|INSANITY|(VAR("CL=CLERIC")+VAR("BL=CLERIC"))/2
                              BONUS:STAT|BASESPELLSTAT|INSANITY
                              BONUS:CHECKS|Will|-WIS
                              BONUS:CHECKS|Will|(INSANEWISDOM-10)/2
                              BONUS:SKILL|TYPE.WISDOM|-WIS
                              BONUS:SKILL|TYPE.WISDOM|(INSANEWISDOM-10)/2
                              SA:Insanity score %|INSANITY