Re: Mac OS 10.4.x and PCGen support

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 28, 2009
      Hi there,

      Thanks for your feedback, answers inline!

      > There are a few things you may want to keep in mind when making
      > this decision. First, 10.4 is the newest version that many pre-G5
      > PPC machines can run without a fair amount of hacking. Second,
      > 10.5 will be the final release to support PPC processors at all.
      >
      > Given the above, I must throw in my hat with those who have voiced
      > concern over the "latest and greatest" philosophy in choosing Java
      > environments. Setting aside the straw-man "500 hours of
      > development to support 3 people" argument, the version of Java
      > chosen should be the oldest supported version that can accomplish
      > the job.
      >
      > It doesn't make any sense to move to a new version of the platform
      > unless there is a compelling reason to do so (e.g. the current
      > development version has been EOL'ed). If that's the case, then
      > move forward and don't look back. But if not, and given the fact
      > that this question is even being posed it probably isn't, then it
      > would be better to stay with the version that supports the most
      > platforms.

      Actually this is a reason why this question was posed, Java reaches end of life October 2009, although there's no reason why we couldn't continue with it (we're not a corporation worried about Java security updates etc).

      > For the record, I use a mix of 10.4 and 10.5 and will probably
      > continue to use PCGen regardless of whether you support 10.4 -- in
      > fact, I'm still using PCGen 5.10.1 because of it's such a hassle
      > to fix the output sheets every time you guys issue an update (yes,
      > I've submitted bug and change request, but have been accused of
      > being too US-centric for my troubles)

      What trackers numbers are these in particular?

      > and because of the
      > bone-headed decision to stash *all* of the .lst files inside the
      > application bundle without any provision for adding an additional
      > external directory for user-generated or modified content. (Yes, I
      > know that I can change the document directory path but no, I
      > shouldn't have to go through that BS every time I upgrade.)

      We actually provide a mechanism for custom data and having that preserved between versions, can you provide some concrete details of your problem?

    • Rj
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 13, 2010
        hi. since Apple has dropped support for all macs running 10.4, and only ships new computers with versions of 10.6 since earlier this year, we probably need to be thinking in terms of having builds that work on whatever versions of java are available for 10.6, as mac sales are growing and a lot of people are abandoning their G4's, G5's, and older macs.
      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 13, 2010
          Hi Folks!

          Rj wrote:
          > hi. since Apple has dropped support for all macs running 10.4, and
          > only ships new computers with versions of 10.6 since earlier this
          > year, we probably need to be thinking in terms of having builds that
          > work on whatever versions of java are available for 10.6, as mac
          > sales are growing and a lot of people are abandoning their G4's,
          > G5's, and older macs.

          PCGen currently requires JAVA 1.5 which is supported by Mac OSX 10.6.x.

          And I have a G5 and a Mac Mini G4 and do not plan to upgrade within
          the next 6 months. And when I do, I will still have the G5 available
          for folks to use when they come to my house for games, so I for onew
          would like to maintain compatibility with Mac OSX 10.5.x.

          Maredudd