Re: [pcgen] Loading sources (and characters) from URLs

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2009
      <snip>

      Okay, seems we need to add the Website URL loading to the Documents...
      I'll tracker that after I post this message...

      Here is the relevant section from the docs under the lst tag index,
      under pcc file.

      Main Body Tags

      The function of all the main body tags is tell PCGen to load a specific
      file. There are three ways of doing this.

      The first and most common is by a relative file path. The path is
      relative to the .pcc file so if the file and the .pcc file that calls it
      are in the same directory then all that is needed is the name of the file.

      *Examples:*

      |CLASS:fhbclasses.lst|

      Loads the file fhbclasses.lst which is in the same directory as the .pcc
      file calling it.

      The second method is a special absolute path which is useful if you need
      to call a specific file from a known location in the data or vendor
      folder. By using the 'at' (@) symbol and a file path, PCGen will locate
      the file by looking in the data folder by the path specified. In the
      same way you can use the ampersand (&) to access a file path in the
      vendor data directory. Use of the asterisk (*) and a file path will
      first attempt to locate the file in the vendor folder and then will look
      in the data folder.

      *Examples:*

      |SPELL:@/d20ogl/srd/srdspells.lst|

      Loads the file from a path relative to the data folder.

      |CLASS:&/complete_monkey/complete_monkey_classes.lst|

      Loads the file from a path relative to the vendor data folder.

      |EQUIPMENT:*/d20ogl/srd35/basics/rsrd_equip.lst|

      Loads the file from a path relative to the vendor data folder and if
      that does not exist, uses a path relative to the data folder.

      The third method is by loading data files over the internet. To do this
      you must set PCGens preferences <cid:part1.00030300.01090309@...>
      to allow this. You can then create a .pcc file which uses web address
      instead of file paths to load source files.

      *Examples:*

      |CLASS:http://www.foogames.com/fhandbook/fhbclasses.lst|

      Loads the source file from a web site.

      WARNING: Do not use backslashes (\) for directory separators in file
      paths, use only forward slashes (/). backslashes work correctly on
      Windows systems but cause problems on Unix flavored systems such as
      Linux and Max OS X.

      IMPORTANT NOTE: The following tags can (and it is recommended for
      equipment) have multiple lines. The names of the list files in the
      example column are also only suggestions. To include the same type of
      files from the same directory on the same line you would separate each
      file to be loaded (of the appropriate type, i.e.,
      |fhbarmorshields.lst|fhbequip|etc|). Sometimes, not all of these tags
      are required by a source material. If a tag is not required, it cannot
      be left blank, it must be commented out or deleted entirely. These tags
      only tell PCGen where to go to get the information it needs, it points
      it to the right spot. Each list file will be fully explained below,
      separated by the list file name, with a full list of the tags that can
      be used in each one.

      ---
      That should take care of that. As to characters, I'm unsure if a http
      path will work in the sources, you'd have to try but for some reason I
      don't think it will work... but by all means give it a try. If it
      doesn't work we can tracker that as a FREQ (Feature REQuest).

      - Andrew