BoD log 7/20/09

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2009
      [Chair]Eddy: OK, look like a full house tonight
      [Chair]Eddy: We all ready to begin?
      [Code_SB]james: yep all good
      irc: BPIJonathan has joined pcgen
      [OGL]Nylanfs: Hiya Jonathan
      BPIJonathan: Hi
      Thoth: Hello all
      [Chair]Eddy: *bangs gavel* welcome everyone
      [Chair]Eddy: I'll start with content
      [Chair]Eddy: I don't have a standard content report
      [Chair]Eddy: we've closed all the 5.16 trackers
      [Chair]Eddy: and we haven't set up the scope for the next release so there's
      nothing much to say regarding those tracker
      [Chair]Eddy: I will say I'll doing a careful run of the data converter on
      the trunk
      [Arch_SB]thpr: thanks for the issues you've caught on that
      [Chair]Eddy: I'm going slow because I'm looking at a compare to check every
      change
      [Chair]Eddy: looks like I'v found one or two issues, nice job polishing
      those off Tom
      [Chair]Eddy: As far as 5.16.1 goes Content is go
      [Chair]Eddy: any questions?
      [Admin]Drew: None here
      [Code_SB]james: One form me
      [Chair]Eddy: go James
      [Code_SB]james: Just slightly off topic
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: None from me.
      [Code_SB]james: Zaister has raised a defect regarding languages being
      reported as ambiguous - has anyone confirmed it and if so is it 5.16 or
      5.17?
      [Chair]Eddy: I have not heard and have not investigated
      [Code_SB]james: I'm assuming it is 5.17 as that would be where the
      pathfinder work is going on
      [Code_SB]james: k
      [Chair]Eddy: Would you consider that critical?
      [Code_SB]james: no
      [Chair]Eddy: Same here
      [Chair]Eddy: Who wants to go next?
      [Admin]Drew: Me please
      [Chair]Eddy: Go Drew
      [Admin]Drew: I'm at work
      [Admin]Drew: Thanks
      [Admin]Drew: Quick reports for tonight:
      [Admin]Drew: Release - James has already announced a plan to release 5.16.1
      Wednesday unless there are any show stoppers.
      [Admin]Drew: Trackers - not to much on this end? Trackers are being handled
      nicely. Though we are looking into an alternative replacement as part of the
      Webteam.
      [Admin]Drew: Webteam - BoD Poll Results - 8 for, 0 against for moving to
      Harelink
      [Admin]Drew: Unless anyone objects I'll open up the account after the
      meeting and Anestis and myself will go to work getting things transferred.
      James will likewise be setting up the autobuilds when it's convenient. The
      other provider will be kept for a bit to make sure everything is transferred
      properly.
      [Admin]Drew: Other things - We are testing Trac and Mantis as a possible
      alternative to the SF trackers. I'll work on getting JIRA set up on the new
      site as well. Once we evaluate each one we can decide on one to stick with.
      JIRA requires a special license which we will qualify for.
      [Admin]Drew: That's my quick blurb for tonight. :)
      [Admin]Drew: Questions?
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: None from PR
      [Chair]Eddy: none from me
      [OGL]Nylanfs: Hey Drew, did you see the post I made on ClustrMaps to the BoD
      list?
      [Admin]Drew: I saw a post but didn't delve into it... Why?
      [OGL]Nylanfs: Just curious, coule be something that is incorporated into a
      website revision at some point
      [OGL]Nylanfs: tracks surfer's to the url and their locations
      [Chair]Eddy: You might want to post that to one of the public lists Paul
      [Admin]Drew: I'll put it on a list of things... I've got a little list for
      the website stuff.
      [Arch_SB]thpr: Question as well on the website conversion. Since there is
      active work on the Wiki, are we locking that down for some period of time
      during the transition so we don't lose changes?
      [Admin]Drew: Tom has me doing test set stuff... Bonus is next on the list.
      [Arch_SB]thpr: I know I've been updating the wiki multiple times a day, so
      don't want to get caught in the transition
      [Admin]Drew: Yes, Anestis will announce when to freeze all changes for a
      smooth transition
      [Arch_SB]thpr: k, just wanted to check :) thanks
      [Admin]Drew: No problem.
      [Admin]Drew: Any more questions for Admin?
      [Admin]Drew: Eddy back to you... :)
      [Chair]Eddy: Who's next?
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: I'll go next if it ok . . .
      [Chair]Eddy: Please do
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: The PR Report will be short as usual . . .
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: PL Subteam Report: We have a new publisher on board. DGH
      has granted us permissions for two sources. I believe Andrew is handling
      those sources. and Andrew also did the PL work for me. So, Welcom to the
      club Paul! and Thanks Andrew!
      [Arch_SB]thpr: Distant Horizons Games for those following along at home :)
      [Arch_SB]thpr: right?
      [Admin]Drew: Correct
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: Advertising Report: PRs for RC1 and 2 did not go out as I
      expected a short turnaround on the releases. James has been posting notices
      in the group lists so that gewts the notices into the most active
      partisipants hands. When 5.16.1 goes out I'll hit the usual channels.
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: We have had no activity of late for the DL team (Data
      Licensing)
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: Any questions?
      [Chair]Eddy: Nope
      [Admin]Drew: No... but a comment
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: Yes?
      [Admin]Drew: Data Licensing will be busy here shortly... :)
      [OGL]Nylanfs: :)
      [Admin]Drew: I've got a few data sets in the wings for you.
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: I expect so. I know you've been busy. Paul G, take note . .
      . :-)
      [Admin]Drew: That's it from me... thanks.
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: If there are no more questions . . . back to Eddy.
      [OGL]Nylanfs: Just remember the ToC and the OGL pages :)
      [Chair]Eddy: Thanks Eric
      [Chair]Eddy: Tom, can you go next?
      [Arch_SB]thpr: sure
      [Arch_SB]thpr: I've been busy on the arch side doing code cleanup to prep
      for the major core changes in 5.17
      [Arch_SB]thpr: to users, the primary thing has been the new CHOOSE tokens,
      of which a number are working right now
      [Arch_SB]thpr: it did expose an issue with the choose system (selections
      aren't properly disappearing/reappearing in either the old or new CHOOSE
      systems) that I will need to address
      [Arch_SB]thpr: The CHOOSE cutover is delayed until Eddy finishes with the
      data conversion on existing data
      [Arch_SB]thpr: I also have some work to do on Ability choosers, so I'm not
      really ready for a full cutover anyway
      [Arch_SB]thpr: found an unexpected challenge there :)
      [Arch_SB]thpr: There is also another note out to the dev list on how we do
      restructuring of PlayerCharacter.
      [Arch_SB]thpr: Want to get thoughts before I go in and do that work
      [Arch_SB]thpr: since there are multiple ways to solve that problem and want
      to make sure we gather ideas from the code team
      [Arch_SB]thpr: those are the two major items on the arch side that are "in
      flight"
      [Arch_SB]thpr: any questions?
      [Chair]Eddy: I got one
      [Chair]Eddy: regarding the converter
      [Chair]Eddy: as you know some equipment types are converted to all caps
      [Arch_SB]thpr: ah yes, can you tracker that as a bug
      [Arch_SB]thpr: I can fix that
      [Chair]Eddy: You said you may have a fix, so I'm wondering should I wait for
      the fix or just convert?
      [Arch_SB]thpr: well....
      [Arch_SB]thpr: I have to admit I broke BONUS objects in the Trunk yesterday
      •: [Arch_SB]thpr hands head in shame
      [Arch_SB]thpr: *hangs
      [Arch_SB]thpr: so I really need to address that first
      [Arch_SB]thpr: once I do that, I will fix the Type capitalization issue
      [Arch_SB]thpr: hopefully both tomorrow night
      [Chair]Eddy: OK, I've been manually fixing that on the sets I have converted
      [Admin]Drew: Eddy - you want me to handle the tracker?
      [Chair]Eddy: that's an easy time frame for me to deal with
      [Chair]Eddy: I got it Drew, I can give some examples
      [Admin]Drew: kk
      [Chair]Eddy: That answers my question, anyone else?
      [OGL]Nylanfs: Does it affect anything Eddy or is it just a data standard?
      [Arch_SB]thpr: type is case insensitive so it doesn't alter the meaning,
      just the readability of the data
      [Chair]Eddy: Just a data standard
      [OGL]Nylanfs: K was curious since my CMP sets seem to be working fine after
      I've converted them
      [Chair]Eddy: I don't think all caps type would effect program function
      [Code_SB]james: I have a question on the converison. Will we stil be able to
      convert 5.16 legal data once the chooser migration is completed?
      [Arch_SB]thpr: using the 5.16 branch, yes
      [Arch_SB]thpr: I hadn't intended to do that in Trunk
      [Code_SB]james: So in 5.18/6.0 release what is the conversion path for
      people's custom data?
      [Code_SB]james: or homebrew I should say
      [Arch_SB]thpr: run the data through the converter
      [Code_SB]james: k
      [Arch_SB]thpr: it outputs in 5.17+ clean data
      [Arch_SB]thpr: the intent is to always keep the alpha converter "in line"
      with the data
      [Arch_SB]thpr: err, in line with the input tokens
      [Arch_SB]thpr: meaning the converter would "instantly" be able to solve any
      deprecation messages
      [Code_SB]james: Ah right
      [Arch_SB]thpr: (or prompt in the case of ambiguity, etc. as we do today)
      •: BPIJonathan is still having trouble getting his converter to work. Its
      cause hes an idiot and needs a set of instructions.
      [Chair]Eddy: So each production release should be able to convert data legal
      in the previous production release?
      [Arch_SB]thpr: Eddy: yes
      [Arch_SB]thpr: Johnathan, I'll get with you offline
      [Chair]Eddy: Good (that's what I thought it was for :-)
      [Arch_SB]thpr: err, sorry for the misspelling, Jonathan
      [Admin]Drew: No questions from Admin, but keep up the good work... nice to
      see the list shrinking. :)
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: Nothing from PR
      [Chair]Eddy: OK James, you're up
      [Code_SB]james: ok
      [Code_SB]james: Code completed the list of 5.16.1 bug fixes, with two
      release candidates out since the last BoD meeting.
      [Code_SB]james: So we are now ready for the 5.16.1 release
      [Code_SB]james: Most work on the 5.17 branch has been happening under on the
      arch side so nothing further to report from me there.
      [OGL]Nylanfs: Did the delay issues get worked out?
      [Code_SB]james: Some fixes have been made to delays
      [Admin]Drew: Yes, definitely some improvement there. :)
      [Arch_SB]thpr: I'm not sure all of them have been addressed
      [Arch_SB]thpr: I'm confused about what Eddy is facing on delays when a
      PlayerCharacter is created, for example
      [Code_SB]james: but there no doubt are still some slower parts - if you
      notice any a detailed of report of how to reproduce it would be really
      helpful
      [Chair]Eddy: Tom, do you see no delay when you create a new character?
      [Arch_SB]thpr: 1-2 seconds maybe
      [Arch_SB]thpr: a portion of which is the UI setup, and a portion of that the
      core
      [Chair]Eddy: Maybe it's just on the Mac side
      [Arch_SB]thpr: 5.16 or Trunk, Eddy?
      [Arch_SB]thpr: or both?
      [Chair]Eddy: both, that particular delay is something I've just grown used
      [Chair]Eddy: though in 5.16 it's probably about 8 seconds
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: I recently got the opportunity to use PCGen on a PC and
      noted it is snappier then it is on my Mac.
      [Chair]Eddy: I have seen that as well
      [Chair]Eddy: It must be the Java implementation
      •: [Arch_SB]thpr wishes I knew someone local with a Mac
      [Chair]Eddy: Really sucks that apple has that bottled up, really goes
      against the whole idea of it
      [Chair]Eddy: Anyway, hopefully we'll see some improvements this cycle
      [Arch_SB]thpr: that's the target
      [Chair]Eddy: :-)
      [Code_SB]james: Any further questions for code?
      [Chair]Eddy: None here
      [Admin]Drew: nope
      [Code_SB]james: ok, code done then
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: None here
      [Chair]Eddy: Ok Agenda time
      [Chair]Eddy: 1.) 5.16.1 - RC1 is out so I'm assuming we are close to a final
      release of this. Are we going to have an advertising blitz on our 4E
      starter set?
      [Chair]Eddy: part 1 is answered
      [Chair]Eddy: 5.16.1 goes out Wednesday
      [Code_SB]james: Excellent
      [Chair]Eddy: Eric, adverts for the 4e set?
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: Yep.
      [Chair]Eddy: Cool
      [Chair]Eddy: 2.) Gencon - How's our preparation going? I know a few more
      payments etc needed to be made, but I think we're all good to go now?
      [Chair]Eddy: Will we have enough time for the CD's?
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: Waiting for final 5.16.1 release ands disc image before
      ordering CD.
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: Its going to be real tight.
      [Chair]Eddy: Assume Wednesday, that enough time?
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: I'll drop the copmpany a note tomorrow to let them know
      they will be hearing from us soon.
      [Code_SB]james: would tonight be better (in around 8 hours)?
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: I'm not sure two extra days would be much better. Get the
      release right.
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: Then we puch to get the CDs.
      [Code_SB]james: ok
      [Chair]Eddy: Anything else?
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: Nope
      BPIJonathan: I have something, whenever other business is done.
      [Chair]Eddy: 3.) Roadmap - Data/Code have reconciled the remaining trackers.
      How do we want to go about sorting out the scope for the next release? We
      need to decide if we're moving to 5.18 or 6.0 next (which involves defining
      what we mean by our major.minor.patch versioning). I think my gut instinct
      is to start from a 'fresh' version (6.0.0) and apply what versioning rules
      we decide on from there.
      [Chair]Eddy: With 5.16 almost in the can are we ready to begin scope
      discussions?
      [Admin]Drew: I think we are.
      [Chair]Eddy: Which list should these primarily take place on?
      [Admin]Drew: Main List I would think
      [Admin]Drew: or Exp
      [Code_SB]james: I was thinking exp
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: exp
      [Arch_SB]thpr: I think _exp is fine
      [Chair]Eddy: I agree then
      [Arch_SB]thpr: but put a posting out on the main list that we are having the
      discussion there, so people can join if they would like
      [PR_SB]Maredudd: Good idea
      [Chair]Eddy: So we all agree it can start (nothing gating it) and it will
      happen on EXP
      [Admin]Drew: Yes
      [Chair]Eddy: Anything else to decide on the topic?
      [Arch_SB]thpr: y
      [Code_SB]james: no objection to the 6.0 plan either btw - starting fresh at
      this stage seems sensible
      [Chair]Eddy: Great, last topic then
      [Chair]Eddy: 4.) Website Hosting - I think the vote is pretty unanimous, I
      assume Andrew/Anestis will be in charge of the move?
      [Chair]Eddy: This was decided on the BoD list right?
      [Admin]Drew: Yes, poll vote is finished
      [Admin]Drew: Unless anyone objects I'll get the webhost going after the
      meeting
      [Chair]Eddy: OK, can you state what we are doing (for those watching at
      home)?
      [Admin]Drew: We have decided to move to a new Host Provider that we believe
      meets out immediate and future needs.
      [Admin]Drew: Harelink was chosen. It will be the new site for the Pcgen
      Website.
      [Chair]Eddy: Thanks Drew
      [Admin]Drew: Your welcome
      [Chair]Eddy: OK, open discussion, Jonathan, you have a topic?
      BPIJonathan: I just wanted to thank Drew publicly for his help with the
      Gaslight files, for putting up with us breaking PCGen and rarely complaining
      when we changed the rules on him.
      BPIJonathan: His help was invaluable to the playtest.
      [Chair]Eddy: Nice work Drew, hope to see that game some day Jonathan :-)
      [Admin]Drew: Oh you will soon Eddy... you get to review it for me...
      [Admin]Drew: ;)
      BPIJonathan: The idea is to release for GenCon. We are making the last edits
      now and will have the book in layout this weekend.
      [Chair]Eddy: Congrats! that's tight, hope you make it.
      [Chair]Eddy: Anyone have anything else?
      [Admin]Drew: Yes
      [Chair]Eddy: k
      [Admin]Drew: I wanted to Thank Jonathan for another challenging Data Set. I
      also want to thank Paul for being able to join us tonight and being part of
      the PCGen Family.
      [Admin]Drew: That's it for me.
      BPIJonathan: It wont be the last one either. It seems like we tend to write
      material that pushes PCGen to its limits and then it gets new boundries. :)
      Thoth: Nice to be invited, thanks.
      [Admin]Drew: Your welcome
      [Chair]Eddy: Alright, anyone else?
      [Arch_SB]thpr: not from me
      [Admin]Drew: I'm done
      [Chair]Eddy: Thanks for coming everyone, congratulations on 5.16.1, well
      done!
      [Chair]Eddy: * bangs gavel *