A new laptop-based html output sheet

  • satin.knights
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11, 2009
      Hello Everyone. I have been fiddling and modifying the
      d20/fantasy/htmlxml/csheet_fantasy_combined.htm until the changes became
      significant enough to fork off into its own sheet. Now that I have
      squashed most of the bugs, I am ready to give back what I have done.

      Design: This sheet is for those that game with their laptop open,
      instead of printed sheets. It is based on a simple principle of
      collapsing divs to show/hide information as it is needed. Many rolls
      that can be calculated now have dice rollers for them as well. Some of
      the dynamically trackable data is current hit points, subdual damage,
      memorized spells, psionic power points, spell bonuses to AC, and
      temporary bonuses to hit or damage for melee or range attacks. (Yep, I
      have been tinkering for months! [:)] The source and output both grew
      about 40%.)

      Where: Until the OS Monkeys decide they like my changes and incorporate
      the sheets, my copy can be found at

      http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/csheet_fantasy_SatinKnights-1\
      024.htm
      and

      http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/csheet_fantasy_SatinKnights-8\
      00.htm
      I have also saved them as

      http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/csheet_fantasy_SatinKnights-1\
      024.txt
      and

      http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/csheet_fantasy_SatinKnights-8\
      00.txt
      to make them easier to retrieve.

      the single column format of the same page. I have a very old laptop
      with only an 800x600 screen, so the single column format is needed for
      it.

      Installation: Drop one or both of the files into your
      PCGen5160\outputsheets\d20\fantasy\htmlxml directory, and copy the
      PCGen5160\preview\d20\fantasy\images\gold\die.png and
      PCGen5160\preview\d20\fantasy\images\gold\die_small.png files to your
      C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\.pcgen\characters directory.
      Restart PcGen so it sees the new sheets, and you will now have the two
      new sheet possibilities on the File->Export->Standard dialog box. Once
      you do the export, point your browser at C:\Documents and
      Settings\USERNAME\.pcgen\characters\charactername.htm or move that file
      and the die*.png files to where ever you are going to store your
      character. As with the combined.htm version, having a charactername.jpg
      and charactername_FULL.jpg files with give you small portrait, and the
      full picture in the Bio section of the page.

      Bugs: I expect there are still a few left. I added alot of code and
      javascript is a miserable language to work in. If something doesn't
      work as expected, check the javascript console to see where it crashed.
      I will try to fix any bugs that are reported.

      I hope people like the new page,
      Satin Knights

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 12, 2009
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "satin.knights" <satin.knights@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone. I have been fiddling and modifying the
        > d20/fantasy/htmlxml/csheet_fantasy_combined.htm until the changes became
        > significant enough to fork off into its own sheet. Now that I have
        > squashed most of the bugs, I am ready to give back what I have done.
        >
        > Design: This sheet is for those that game with their laptop open,
        > instead of printed sheets. It is based on a simple principle of
        > collapsing divs to show/hide information as it is needed. Many rolls
        > that can be calculated now have dice rollers for them as well. Some of
        > the dynamically trackable data is current hit points, subdual damage,
        > memorized spells, psionic power points, spell bonuses to AC, and
        > temporary bonuses to hit or damage for melee or range attacks. (Yep, I
        > have been tinkering for months! [:)] The source and output both grew
        > about 40%.)
        >
        > Where: Until the OS Monkeys decide they like my changes and incorporate
        > the sheets, my copy can be found at
        >
        > http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/csheet_fantasy_SatinKnights-1\
        > 024.htm
        > and
        >
        > http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/csheet_fantasy_SatinKnights-8\
        > 00.htm
        > I have also saved them as
        >
        > http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/csheet_fantasy_SatinKnights-1\
        > 024.txt
        > and
        >
        > http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/csheet_fantasy_SatinKnights-8\
        > 00.txt
        > to make them easier to retrieve.

        > the single column format of the same page. I have a very old laptop
        > with only an 800x600 screen, so the single column format is needed for
        > it.
        >
        > Installation: Drop one or both of the files into your
        > PCGen5160\outputsheets\d20\fantasy\htmlxml directory, and copy the
        > PCGen5160\preview\d20\fantasy\images\gold\die.png and
        > PCGen5160\preview\d20\fantasy\images\gold\die_small.png files to your
        > C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\.pcgen\characters directory.
        > Restart PcGen so it sees the new sheets, and you will now have the two
        > new sheet possibilities on the File->Export->Standard dialog box. Once
        > you do the export, point your browser at C:\Documents and
        > Settings\USERNAME\.pcgen\characters\charactername.htm or move that file
        > and the die*.png files to where ever you are going to store your
        > character. As with the combined.htm version, having a charactername.jpg
        > and charactername_FULL.jpg files with give you small portrait, and the
        > full picture in the Bio section of the page.
        >
        > Bugs: I expect there are still a few left. I added alot of code and
        > javascript is a miserable language to work in. If something doesn't
        > work as expected, check the javascript console to see where it crashed.
        > I will try to fix any bugs that are reported.
        >
        > I hope people like the new page,
        > Satin Knights

        Thanks! BTW have a sample character so it can be seen before downloading?
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 12, 2009
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > new sheet possibilities on the File->Export->Standard dialog box. Once
          > > you do the export, point your browser at C:\Documents and
          > > Settings\USERNAME\.pcgen\characters\charactername.htm or move that file
          > > and the die*.png files to where ever you are going to store your
          > > character. As with the combined.htm version, having a charactername.jpg
          > > and charactername_FULL.jpg files with give you small portrait, and the
          > > full picture in the Bio section of the page.
          > >
          > > Bugs: I expect there are still a few left. I added alot of code and
          > > javascript is a miserable language to work in. If something doesn't
          > > work as expected, check the javascript console to see where it crashed.
          > > I will try to fix any bugs that are reported.
          > >
          > > I hope people like the new page,
          > > Satin Knights
          > >

          > Thanks! BTW have a sample character so it can be seen before downloading?

          You also might want to alter the credits section at the bottom also to add your name. :)
        • satin.knights
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 13, 2009
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:

            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "satin.knights" satin.knights@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Everyone. I have been fiddling and modifying the
            > > d20/fantasy/htmlxml/csheet_fantasy_combined.htm until the changes
            became
            > > significant enough to fork off into its own sheet. Now that I have
            > > squashed most of the bugs, I am ready to give back what I have done.
            > > I hope people like the new page,
            > > Satin Knights
            > >

            > Thanks! BTW have a sample character so it can be seen before
            downloading?

            Ok. I have added a couple examples. I will add more as time permits to
            the examples directory.
            http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/examples/Grunt.htm
            Grunt is a fourth level barbarian from 3.5 rules.

            http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/examples/Grunt-PF.htm
            Grunt as a Pathfinder barbarian with a bit more equipment and fluff
            added.

            http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/examples/Marilandu.htm
            Gnome Pathfinder Cleric/Sorceress/Mystic Theurge 4/3/1 with celestial
            tendencies
            Or at least she will be when I am done building the character. I am
            Still building her
            as I write this.
          • Paul
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 13, 2009
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "satin.knights" <satin.knights@...> wrote:

              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "satin.knights" satin.knights@ wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello Everyone. I have been fiddling and modifying the
              > > > d20/fantasy/htmlxml/csheet_fantasy_combined.htm until the changes
              > became
              > > > significant enough to fork off into its own sheet. Now that I have
              > > > squashed most of the bugs, I am ready to give back what I have done.
              > > > I hope people like the new page,
              > > > Satin Knights
              > > >

              > > Thanks! BTW have a sample character so it can be seen before
              > downloading?
              > >

              > Ok. I have added a couple examples. I will add more as time permits to
              > the examples directory.
              > http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/examples/Grunt.htm
              > Grunt is a fourth level barbarian from 3.5 rules.
              >
              > http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/examples/Grunt-PF.htm
              > Grunt as a Pathfinder barbarian with a bit more equipment and fluff
              > added.
              >
              > http://mediamonkey.coloredpixels.com/pcgen/examples/Marilandu.htm
              > Gnome Pathfinder Cleric/Sorceress/Mystic Theurge 4/3/1 with celestial
              > tendencies
              > Or at least she will be when I am done building the character. I am
              > Still building her
              > as I write this.

              I have to say that that sheet is awesome!
            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 13, 2009
                Greetings Satin Knights,
                Nice work. I especially like the buttons that add temporary values to
                the various fields you have added, I can see how useful that would be at the
                table and goes well beyond the sheets we have now.
                These sheets would be a wonderful addition to our releases, my main
                concern is maintenance. Ideally it would be great if we could have you join
                the team and commit your bug fixes directly into the repository. If we can't
                talk you into that I can certainly commit any changes you pas along although
                I don't know javascript and will be no help there. I'd also like to change
                the name to something more descriptive like csheet_fantasy_laptop or
                csheet_fantasy_horizontal, what do you think?
                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                ~ PCGen Board of Directors

                satin.knights scribed:

              • satin.knights
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 14, 2009
                  My SVN skills are a little rusty, but I am sure I can manage check ins
                  just fine.
                  Yes, I would like to join the team. I will send you my SourceForge
                  details privately.
                  This new sheet relies on javascript so much, it is a bit fragile. But,
                  the only way to
                  strengthen it is to have many people beat on it until it chokes, then
                  add more armor.
                  I expect it to go through a lot of growing pains early on.

                  For names, csheet_fantasy_laptop and csheet_fantasy_laptop_ws seem
                  appropriate.

                  -Satin Knights

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 14, 2009
                    satin.knights scribed:

                    > My SVN skills are a little rusty, but I am sure I can manage check ins
                    > just fine.
                    > Yes, I would like to join the team. I will send you my SourceForge
                    > details privately.
                    > This new sheet relies on javascript so much, it is a bit fragile. But,
                    > the only way to
                    > strengthen it is to have many people beat on it until it chokes, then
                    > add more armor.
                    > I expect it to go through a lot of growing pains early on.
                    >
                    > For names, csheet_fantasy_laptop and csheet_fantasy_laptop_ws seem
                    > appropriate.
                    >
                    > -Satin Knights

                    I've named them as you suggested and they have been added to the repository.
                    I expect we will be releasing 5.17.0 some time soon as development is
                    gaining steam. Thanks for the contribution and welcome to the team.