Re: Getting 5.16.0 to recognize CMP-created gamemodes

  • ainvarg
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2009
      Sir, you are amazingly quick.

      So I had the right idea, wrong specifics. There are no CMP Gamemodes in my 5.16.0 install folder, but I see some under the 5.14.0 folder (I install PCGen in parallel rather than over the top) -- are there concerns/considerations to using those gamemode files, or can I just copy them over into the 5.16.0 system/gamemodes folder?

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2009
        Well, there shouldn't be a problem moving the gamemode to the new
        version. CMP hasn't released anything new since their license expired.
        Whatever is in 5.14.1 CMP Set is the final version.

        Anyways, the short answer, no, there shouldn't be an issue. You likely
        need to run the pcgen converter on your set to make sure it will work
        though, as some tags have changed.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 7, 2009
          This might explain why I thought the converter didn't run on my datasets in an earlier post. Are the files ignored if they are associated with an unrecognized gamemode?

          I'm see a lot of issues with SA tags -- I'll try the gamemode changes and see if the converter can provide some relief with those tags. I see they are no longer valid, but I'm not sure of the correct syntax to replace them. I'll save that question for when I have something specific to ask. Thanks again.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 2009
            No gamemode, the converter can't see the files.

            Good luck. Glad I was able to help. :)

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 8, 2009
              The gamemode I have from CMP appears to have issues. Any reason I can't mimic the 35e gamemode files? I'm not sure what, if anything, they would need to have different.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 8, 2009
                Design differences, the same reason you can't use the CMP sets with the
                OGL pcgen sets. Although their would be little differences since the
                gamemode files don't really have much flexibility.

                A little history - People thought that CMP was just copying the pcgen
                base sets (Since PCGen is all volunteer and CMP was paid). So, to avoid
                that accusation they made their sets unique from the pcgen ones. It's a
                pain, and not very cool. But it was a different culture back then.

                What issue are you having with the gamemode, as those haven't really
                changed all that much in the various versions. Are you seeing a message
                about deprecated syntax? That is very easy to fix... go ahead and post
                the msg here.

                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 9, 2009
                  Actually Barak's script converts the gamemodes from 5.12.1 to 5.14.1 also.

                  And as a reminder people, CLIP the stuff AFTER messages for people reading this in email or on the digest.