97483Re: Help needed setting up PCgen on a linux machine

  • Justin Larsen
    Jun 1, 2008
      I'm really not that advanced of a Linux user myself (correcting that
      is why I'm running the OS in the first place, actually). As a buddy
      of mine once said, however, "If there's a problem with anything in
      Linux, it's probably because you're not allowed to do what you're doing."

      I'd checked my permissions before, but just to be safe (or not safe,
      as the case may be), I went ahead and ran the launch script as
      superuser. This had a number of interesting effects besides creating
      a .pcgen directory for root, including forcing the program to load up
      with a different "look & feel" setting and causing the computer to
      "think" a lot (the little circle with the spinning series of dots, the
      Ubuntu equivalent of Windows' spinning hourglass) upon loading (3+
      minutes to stop loading the Tip of the Day).

      In the end, however, the program still doesn't load any sources and it
      still thinks that I'm missing the java file jep-2.3.1.jar, which is
      still in the directory. All of the locations continue to be correct, too.

      Oh, and I also know now that the computer answers as well to threats
      as it did to the begging I did earlier. I'll keep tinkering and see
      what else I can come up with.

      > Okay, I'm going to make a total fool of myself making a shot in the
      > dark. (Not a linux user and don't have a clue)
      >
      > Do you have the correct permissions setup in the folders where pcgen is
      > installed?
      > Does it have permission to load up?
      >
      > ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      > ~ Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
      > "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
      >

      > Justin Larsen wrote:
      > > I'm honestly not much of one for forums (or Yahoo! groups), and I know
      > > that this is a bit of an old thread, so I ask you to bear with me on
      > > this and forgive any trespasses:
      > >
      > > I'm running Hardy i386 and Sun's Java 6 and I'm having the same
      > > situation: when trying to run PCGen 5.12.1, I basically end up running
      > > an app with no data. When I eventually get to the program there
      are no
      > > Sources to choose from besides "Other," which does nothing. Below, on
      > > the right side, "Refresh" and "Customize" are usable, but "Load,"
      > > "Unload All," "Remove All," and "Website" are all grayed out. I've
      > > followed everything I can follow regarding this thread to try and get
      > > something to load but to this point no dice (puns are always
      intended).
      > > The locations are all pointing to the right place, I've triple-checked
      > > to make sure that I'm running SUN's version of Java, and unless I'm
      > > completely inept (which is quite possible), the permissions
      shouldn't be
      > > a problem. For the sake of thoroughness, I also spent fifteen minutes
      > > begging my computer to make it work.
      > >
      > > I'm also getting an error as the program launches, however. I use
      > > pcgen.sh to start things up. The splash screen comes up, the terminal
      > > dumps about twenty pages of code, ending with the relatively
      > > representative line:
      > > Unparsed line: RACE:slayerscentraces.lst in

      file:/home/grillfocks/.pcgen/pcgen5121/data/permissioned/mongoose/slayer\
      > > sguides/centaurs/slayerscent.pcc
      > > and then a dialog box shows up, saying:
      > > Missing resource: jep-2.3.1.jar
      > >
      > > Get it here: jep-2.3.1.jar
      > >
      > > This feature requires the download of the above-mentioned file(s).
      > > Please download and place in the "lib" sub-directory of your PCGen
      > > installation. In the case of .zip files you will need to unzip them as
      > > well. You must then restart PCGen for full functionality.
      > > Of course, when I check in the /lib subdirectory, jep-2.3.1.jar is
      > > present and accounted for. I downloaded another copy from sourceforge
      > > to see if it was just corrupt, but it's still "missing" when the
      program
      > > launches. Once I click OK, however, the splash screen goes away, the
      > > program itself loads, and everything would be cool if I could just get
      > > those sources to load.
      > >
      > > I hope all that made sense. Is this a related issue, or do I have two
      > > problems to deal with here?
      > >

      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Milne <duroondgr@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Sun Java is in the repositories, yes. However if you install the
      > >>
      > > ubuntu restricted extras package it installs open java instead of
      Sun's.