91513Re: PCGen 5.10.1 and the CMP Datasets . . .

  • merton_monk
    Aug 3 10:43 AM
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > > Ah hah. So I was reading a bit more into it than was actually
      > > there. Mea culpa.
      >
      > Unfortunately yes, sorry that was probably just a clarity issue on my
      > part :-(, sometimes I only check my posts once before sendign, I
      > should make that twiece in future.
      >
      > > One of the things I have on my wish list for when have enough time,
      > > or when I become God-Emperor of the Unniverse, whichever comes
      > > first, is that *every* time a tag syntax changes, write a
      > > script/program/scroll to make that change to existing PCGen
      > > supported data sets at the same time, and make conversion of the
      > > tags part of the implementation of the change. If the conversion
      > > doesn't work, then the feature isn't complete.
      >
      > Believe or not, but that is one of the FREQs we'll be looking at for
      > the 5.12 series, basically a new version of the LST
      > Convertor/Prettylst that will deal with these sorts of changes

      The LST Converter was kept up-to-date for a while, but it's really in
      need of a revamp. I think that adding something like it to convert
      LST syntax from old to new is especially important for people who have
      their own campaign data. For the first couple of years of PCGen, I
      think some of my own campaign data was in every release. :)
      Unfortunately, that party met its doom. At least I have nice campaign
      files to make creating new parties/enemies that much easier! :D

      > > That set of scripts/programs/scrolls would then be part of the
      > > distribution, and could be used by one and all to upgrade their data
      > > sets.
      >
      > Exactly, OS changes and PCG changes as well

      The PCG changes should be handled automatically - the pcg loader and
      detect what version the pcg file was saved in, and make the changes
      accordingly.

      > >> As one poster has already stated, the core books seem to already
      > >> load and are useable
      > >
      > > So, was this Blind Dumb Luck, or Visionary Intelligent Design?
      >
      > Both really, when CMP and ourselves were fixing compatibility code
      > bugs, we had to get things to a state where the CMP datasets would
      > load and work to some degree (in order to find the main bugs). I
      > suspect that if you have a little bit of LST knowledge that a lot of
      > the datasets will work (with a bit of tweaking).
      >
      > CMP will want to understandably do a good deal more data work to make
      > sure everything is working perfectly or near to it, they do have
      > paying customers after all!

      I think one advantage of having two different groups working on data
      sets is that they both use the data differently. This means that
      they'll find different bugs, and it increases the chance that they'll
      find a bug that is biting someone working on their own material.
      Having paying customers does put more urgency into getting things
      right! Although I think everyone on the volunteer side has always
      taken pride in fixing things in a very timely manner. :)

      -Bryan
      Benevolent Dictator of PCGen
      Who has been very very swamped, and is really really looking forward
      to GenCon! Stop by and say hi to me at the CMP booth!