Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

111529Re: Re: [pcgen] Slower character saving?

Expand Messages
  • Omowale Anthony
    Dec 1, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      Noted


      On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM, <lpacdavis@...> wrote:
       

       I also want to note that some of the older versions of PCGen did not have the issue of several minutes to export after adding and removing large numbers of templates.

       
      Cheers,
       
      Sir George Anonymous
       
       
      ---In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, <maredudd@...> wrote:

      Hi Folks!

      PCGen does tend to creep up in memory size as you add and and modify characters. Also, removing a character will reduce memory but repeated additions and removals never returns the memory to what it probably should.

      On the otherhand we do have the ability to "collect garbage", restoring memory that is no longer needed for the data and characters loaded. This functionality can be found under the "Tools" menu. Click on the "Log and Memory Use" menu item and then click on the "Run Garbage Collection" button.

      Maredudd


      On Nov 30, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Omowale Anthony wrote:

      >
      > Are you guys using the installed version or the full zip version? Just wondering because I've noticed that PCGen (full zip) tends to have memory creep (starts at around 480K and is around 770K when I need to restart it) the longer it's open...but the longer it's open the slower it gets...
      >
      > Anyone else notice this...it may be the same issue that was stated before and fixed...just wondering if it made a different with resources depending on whether you use the install or full zip...
      >
      >
      > On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 8:46 AM, <lpacdavis@...> wrote:
      >
      >
      > I'll check it out on RC1 next week. Thanks!
      >
      >
      > Sir George Anonymous
      >
      >
      >
      > ---In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, <jdempsey@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hi Sir George,
      >
      > I've had a play with a similar scenario, Druid 12 trying various wildshape templates and exporting. It all looked pretty fine, with no large increase in memory use evident.
      >
      > I've taken a lot of processing out of the export loop with the earlier fix, so I think that might have sorted out this memory problem also.
      >
      > If you can, please give the autobuild a try and let me know how it goes. Otherwise RC1 is due out on Monday, so you could try it then.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > James.
      >
      > On 30/11/2013 4:31 PM lpacdavis@... wrote
      >> I have experienced what appears to be a memory loss issue. I am wondering whether or not this will be resolved at the same time.
      >>
      >>
      >> I have set up templates to add to creatures with the "Change Shape" ability. I wanted to export to pdf a copy of a particular creature with each of the 28 various shapes that the creature could change into so that I could choose the best form for the circumstance. My process was to add the template, add natural attacks (if necessary), change the name to give an indication of which template I had applied, export, and remove the template. After about 10 templates, PCGen began to slow. With each additional template, it got even slower. By the time I got into the 20s, the export was taking a minute or longer. After about 25, PCGen tried to export for several minutes before running out of memory. Closing and restarting PCGen allowed me to continue exporting at a more reasonable speed.
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >


    • Show all 18 messages in this topic