RE: Re: [pcgen] Adding a Familiar to a Character

(111528)
  • ovka
    Dec 1, 2013 Expand Messages

       Count this as a vote for me.  I can see the Jira request, but I can't do anything with it (like voting).

      According to the request, the reason to have this functionality is to fix broken links.  Another reason would be to add skills to the creature before it becomes a familiar.

      Right now, it looks like PCGen provides two options 1) add a skill after the familiar is created (but not one of the skills that the master has because there is already a rank in that skill), or 2) don't add a skill and have PCGen perpetually tell the user that a skill can be added.  Allowing the user to create the creature first, allows the user to add a skill that the master has.  Min-maxers wouldn't mind option 1, but someone who wants to use a default creature as a familiar (with default skills) and who is OCD about the message generated by # 2 could create the familiar with the skills they wanted.

      There is a work-around, but there really shouldn't need to be.  The work-around is to add the familiar using the existing "Create" process, then create a default creature of the same type, give it the same name as the familiar, and save it to the same file.  The next time you open the PC, load the familiar and make sure you save it.

      That still leaves the issue of broken links.  I usually edit the pcg files to get around that.  Not something a newbie would want to do.

      Cheers,

      Sir George Anonymous

      ---In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, <jdempsey@...> wrote:

      Hi Sir George,

      Yes, that is a current limitation. You can only create or remove a familiar, you can't select an existing character as a familiar. That is a request tracked at http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1463

      There is no ETA currently (we are only looking at bugs until after 6.2.0 is out currently), but I do try and look at the more popular things first, so feel free to vote for it.

      Cheers,
      James.

      On 30/11/2013 4:36 PM lpacdavis@... wrote

      I am using v 6.1.10 with my own personal datasets.  This could be an issue with my datasets, could be something I don't know how to do, or something else.

      I want to be able to create a creature (example a raven), save it to its own PCG file, and then add that creature as a familiar.  It looks to me right now that I can only select the type of familiair I want, and it will be created for me.  Am I missing something?

      Cheers,

      Sir George Anonymous

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic