RE: [pcgen-xml] Possible solution to class/crossclass skills and max_ranks

  • Stiles, Brad
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2004
      > > However, Jenni is correct. There is a section somewhere in
      > > the 3.0 PHB about this, and the formula for max skill ranks
      > > for an exclusive skill is indeed based on the class level of
      > > those classes the character has for which the skill is exclusive.
      >
      > Out of curiosity can you quote me the relevant section from
      > the 3.0 SRD ?

      Actually, I don't think it *is* in the SRD, just the PHB.

      > > For instance, I think Use Magic Device used to be an exclusive skill for
      > > Rogues. So a Rog3/Ftr4 would have a max ranks value of 5 for that skill,
      > > i.e. 3 for the first Rogue level, and 1 each for the subsequent two
      > > levels, with none for each of the Fighter levels. Since the Fighter class
      > > can't take UMD, those class levels don't apply to the max ranks.

      Correction on my numbers, the max rank should be 6, not 4. It's 4 for the first level, not 3.

      > I can not find this rule anywhere in the 3.0 SRD. I have
      > looked in both the skills overview, UMD skill and the details
      > at the top of srdskills1.rtf.

      Last time I looked at the SRD, I couldn't find it either. I was only looking at the 3.5 version, though, and since that did away with exclusive skills, that doesn't really surprise me. I no longer have a link to the 3.0 one.

      > I hate not knowing something.
      >
      > If this is really important then someone should raise a bug for PCGen
      > because at the moment the only thing it uses Exclusive for is to determine
      > if a class can spend skill points on a skill, not to cap max ranks.

      There might be some assumption about this built into the code. Or are you saying that one can exceed the appropriate value if one hoards skill points?

      The only thing I can find is in the system\gamemode\dnd\level.lst file, which lists CSKILLMAX and CCSKILLMAX values.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2004
        <quote who="Stiles, Brad">
        >> If this is really important then someone should raise a bug for PCGen
        >> because at the moment the only thing it uses Exclusive for is to
        >> determine
        >> if a class can spend skill points on a skill, not to cap max ranks.
        >
        > There might be some assumption about this built into the code. Or are you
        > saying that one can exceed the appropriate value if one hoards skill
        > points?
        >
        > The only thing I can find is in the system\gamemode\dnd\level.lst file,
        > which lists CSKILLMAX and CCSKILLMAX values.

        Mea Culpa. After doing a bit more rigorous digging it does indeed work
        fine in PCGen.