Re: [pcgen-xml] Possible solution to class/crossclass skills and max_ranks

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2004
      <quote who="Brass Tilde">
      > I believe that 3.5 did away with exclusive skills, at least in the core
      > set,
      > though I guess there's nothing to stop some other D20 product from using
      > the
      > concept.

      Oh absolutely.

      > However, Jenni is correct. There is a section somewhere in the 3.0 PHB
      > about this, and the formula for max skill ranks for an exclusive skill is
      > indeed based on the class level of those classes the character has for
      > which
      > the skill is exclusive.

      Out of curiosity can you quote me the relevant section from the 3.0 SRD ?
      I can not fnid any mention of this anywhere. The only thing I have found
      to do with max skill ranks is: "The maximum number of ranks a character
      can have in a class skill is equal to that character's level +3. The
      maximum ranks a character can have in a cross-class skill is half that
      number." From the very top of srdskillsoverview.rtf

      > For instance, I think Use Magic Device used to be an exclusive skill for
      > Rogues. So a Rog3/Ftr4 would have a max ranks value of 5 for that skill,
      > i.e. 3 for the first Rogue level, and 1 each for the subsequent two
      > levels,
      > with none for each of the Fighter levels. Since the Fighter class can't
      > take UMD, those class levels don't apply to the max ranks.

      I can not find this rule anywhere in the 3.0 SRD. I have looked in both
      the skills overview, UMD skill and the details at the top of
      srdskills1.rtf.

      I hate not knowing something.

      If this is really important then someone should raise a bug for PCGen
      because at the moment the only thing it uses Exclusive for is to determine
      if a class can spend skill points on a skill, not to cap max ranks.