Re: [pcgen-xml] Possible solution to class/crossclass skills and max_ranks

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2004
      > <quote who="Jenni A. Merrifield">
      > > How would this work for exclusive class skills, where max ranks are
      > > based only on the number of class levels associated with the class
      > > that gives access to the exclusive skill rather than the character's
      > > total class levels.
      >
      > Where are you getting this rule from? I have looked in both the 3.0 and
      > 3.5 SRD and I can find no mention of the max ranks of exclusive skills
      > being limited to the number of class levels associated with that skill.

      I believe that 3.5 did away with exclusive skills, at least in the core set,
      though I guess there's nothing to stop some other D20 product from using the
      concept.

      However, Jenni is correct. There is a section somewhere in the 3.0 PHB
      about this, and the formula for max skill ranks for an exclusive skill is
      indeed based on the class level of those classes the character has for which
      the skill is exclusive.

      For instance, I think Use Magic Device used to be an exclusive skill for
      Rogues. So a Rog3/Ftr4 would have a max ranks value of 5 for that skill,
      i.e. 3 for the first Rogue level, and 1 each for the subsequent two levels,
      with none for each of the Fighter levels. Since the Fighter class can't
      take UMD, those class levels don't apply to the max ranks.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2004
        <quote who="Brass Tilde">
        > I believe that 3.5 did away with exclusive skills, at least in the core
        > set,
        > though I guess there's nothing to stop some other D20 product from using
        > the
        > concept.

        Oh absolutely.

        > However, Jenni is correct. There is a section somewhere in the 3.0 PHB
        > about this, and the formula for max skill ranks for an exclusive skill is
        > indeed based on the class level of those classes the character has for
        > which
        > the skill is exclusive.

        Out of curiosity can you quote me the relevant section from the 3.0 SRD ?
        I can not fnid any mention of this anywhere. The only thing I have found
        to do with max skill ranks is: "The maximum number of ranks a character
        can have in a class skill is equal to that character's level +3. The
        maximum ranks a character can have in a cross-class skill is half that
        number." From the very top of srdskillsoverview.rtf

        > For instance, I think Use Magic Device used to be an exclusive skill for
        > Rogues. So a Rog3/Ftr4 would have a max ranks value of 5 for that skill,
        > i.e. 3 for the first Rogue level, and 1 each for the subsequent two
        > levels,
        > with none for each of the Fighter levels. Since the Fighter class can't
        > take UMD, those class levels don't apply to the max ranks.

        I can not find this rule anywhere in the 3.0 SRD. I have looked in both
        the skills overview, UMD skill and the details at the top of
        srdskills1.rtf.

        I hate not knowing something.

        If this is really important then someone should raise a bug for PCGen
        because at the moment the only thing it uses Exclusive for is to determine
        if a class can spend skill points on a skill, not to cap max ranks.