RE: [pcgen-xml] Possible solution to class/crossclass skills and max_ranks

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 14 4:41 AM
      <quote who="Jenni A. Merrifield">
      > How would this work for exclusive class skills, where max ranks are
      > based
      > only on the number of class levels associated with the class that gives
      > access to the exclusive skill rather than the character's total class
      > levels.

      Where are you getting this rule from? I have looked in both the 3.0 and
      3.5 SRD and I can find no mention of the max ranks of exclusive skills
      being limited to the number of class levels associated with that skill.

      Can you cite the document and section that details this rule for me please.

      There is nothing in the current PCGen that copes with this rule.

    • Brass Tilde
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 14 6:57 AM
        > > The only thing I can find is in the system\gamemode\dnd\level.lst file,
        > > which lists CSKILLMAX and CCSKILLMAX values.
        >
        > Mea Culpa. After doing a bit more rigorous digging it does indeed work
        > fine in PCGen.

        Then it sounds like there might be an assumption built into the code
        somewhere based on the exclusive status of the skill. That should probably
        be rooted out and moved to the data.
      • Jenni A. Merrifield
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 14 7:23 AM
          <quote who="Frugal" when="Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:41:42 +0100 (BST)"
          > <quote who="Jenni A. Merrifield">
          > > How would this work for exclusive class skills, where max ranks are
          > > based
          > > only on the number of class levels associated with the class that gives
          > > access to the exclusive skill rather than the character's total class
          > > levels.
          >
          > Where are you getting this rule from? I have looked in both the 3.0 and
          > 3.5 SRD and I can find no mention of the max ranks of exclusive skills
          > being limited to the number of class levels associated with that skill.

          Heh. I'm not surprised. I remember being surprised when one of the people
          I play with regularly pointed it out to me in the first place.

          > Can you cite the document and section that details this rule for me please.

          Yes, yes I can.

          It doesn't exist in 3.5 of course, since there are no "Exclusive" skills in
          3.5 but it is in 3.0 - see the "Multiclass Characters" topic in "Chapter 3:
          Classes" of the 3.0 PHB - under "Class And Level Features" > "Skills" (top
          left of page 56 in my edition), second paragraph:

          "If a skill is unavailable to a class (that is, if it's an exclusive skill
          that a multiclass character's other class doesn't have access to), then
          levels in that class don't increase the multiclass character's maximum ranks.
          For instance, the 7th-level rogue/4th-level wizard would have a maximum rank
          of 10 in Use Magic Device. Likewise, the same character could have a maximum
          of 7 ranks in Scry, an exclusive skill for wizards."

          I suppose this probably appears in a similar location in the 3.0 srd, and
          although I have the files on hand I don't have time to look it up (have to
          head off to work).

          > There is nothing in the current PCGen that copes with this rule.

          Really? I guess I never noticed since I never tried to exceed exclusive
          class limits in 3.0. Sounds like a bug and/or missing feature then. ;-)

          Jenni

          --
          Jenni A. M. Merrifield (strawberry @ jamm . com)
          Software User Experience Professional
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 14 8:01 AM
            <quote who="Jenni A. Merrifield">
            > It doesn't exist in 3.5 of course, since there are no "Exclusive" skills
            > in
            > 3.5 but it is in 3.0 - see the "Multiclass Characters" topic in "Chapter
            > 3:
            > Classes" of the 3.0 PHB - under "Class And Level Features" > "Skills" (top
            > left of page 56 in my edition), second paragraph:

            hmmmm... the only mention of skills for multiclass characters appears to
            be in srdbasiccharacterclassesii.rtf under the heading "Multiclass
            Characters":

            "Skills: The character retains and can access skills from all his or her
            classes. For the purposes of determining the “Max Ranks” of a skill, use
            the character’s character level rather than individual class levels. When
            adding a new class level, the costs for new ranks in skills are calculated
            using the costs for that class. Skills available to another of the
            character’s classes which are normally not allowed by the class being
            added or increased are treated as cross-class skills for the purpose of
            determining the cost of skill ranks."

            Which implies that "Skills available to another of the character’s classes
            which are normally not allowed by the class being added or increased" are
            exclusive skills of another class, and are thus treated as cross class, so
            (TL+3)/2.