Defining Alignments

  • Jenni A. Merrifield
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 2004

      I noticed that both Frugal and Keith would define alignment values with a different id for each of the nine basic alignments:

      Frugal:

        <prereq kind=“alignment” key=“lawful.good” />

        <prereq kind=“alignment” key=“lawful.neutral” />

        <prereq kind= “alignment” key=“lawful.evil” />

        &c.

      Keith:

        <prereq kind=“alignment” key=“align.lg” />

        <prereq kind=“alignment” key=“align.ln” />

        <prereq kind= “alignment” key=“align.le” />

        &c.

      However, I’d like to suggest that it might be more useful to break alignment out into its two axis – moral versus ethical.  This would make it simpler to indicate prerequisites and subtypes relying on only one axis:

        <prereq kind=“ethical” key=“align.lawful” /> <!-- any lawful alignment: lg, ln, le -->

        <prereq kind=“moral” key=“align.neutral” /> <!-- any morally neutral alignment: ln; tn; cn -->

      Most entities with alignment would need two lines:

        <align kind=”ethical” key= “align.chaotic” />

        <align kind=”moral” key= “align.good” />

        But entities with subtypes would frequently only need one:

        <subtype key=“align.evil” />

      Jenni

      --
      Jenni A. M. Merrifield (strawberry @ jamm . com)
      Software User Experience Professional

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 13, 2004
        On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 07:22:42AM -0700, Jenni A. Merrifield wrote:
        > I noticed that both Frugal and Keith would define alignment values with a
        > different id for each of the nine basic alignments:
        >
        > However, I'd like to suggest that it might be more useful to break
        > alignment out into its two axis - moral versus ethical. This would
        > make it simpler to indicate prerequisites and subtypes relying on only
        > one axis:
        >
        > <prereq kind="ethical" key="align.lawful" /> <!-- any lawful alignment: lg,
        > ln, le -->
        >
        > <prereq kind="moral" key="align.neutral" /> <!-- any morally neutral
        > alignment: ln; tn; cn -->
        >

        > Most entities with alignment would need two lines:
        >
        > <align kind="ethical" key= "align.chaotic" />
        >
        > <align kind="moral" key= "align.good" />
        >
        > But entities with subtypes would frequently only need one:
        >
        > <subtype key="align.evil" />

        This is not unreasonable. You'll probably want to differentiate between
        moral neutral and ethical neutral.

        I considered another option, where <alignment> had attributes indicating
        the ethical and moral components:

        <alignment moral='good' ethical='lawful' id='align.lg' />

        sort of thing.

        So, prereqs under your mechanism would look like:

        <prereq kind='alignment' key='alignment.moral' refid='align.good' />
        <prereq kind='alignment' key='alignment.ethical' refid='align.lawful' />

        for a LG prereq, or

        <prereq kind='alignment' key='alignment.moral' refid='align.good' />

        for 'any good'?

        It'll look somewhat odd to a lot of people -- they're used to seeing
        'lawful good' rather than 'lawful and good' -- but it can be converted
        for presentation fairly easily.

        I like it.