RE: [pcgen-xml] "Removers"

  • CC Noram Carstensen James
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
      Steve,

      I think I follow what your saying. Let me paraphrase and see if I have
      it right.

      For multiple Effects that add that same non-additive Entity, you still
      have multiple Entities (and/or increment an internal counter, I'm not
      picky). So that when you remove a single Effect you still have an
      accurate count if other Effects have given that Entity so there is no
      need to recalculate other Effects to see if the Entity should still be
      in force.

      Ok, sounds good.

      The removal of Entities by other effects is where it gets a little foggy
      to me, because you need to be able to handle the number of cases. A
      dwarven speaking character with an item that allows them to speak
      dwarven would have two Dwarven Language Entities (DLEs), or perhaps one
      DLE with a count of 2. A curse might disallow the character from
      speaking Dwarven, and as such "lock" Dwarven at false, regardless of the
      fact that a normal remove would decrease to a single DLE and still allow
      Dwarven speech.

      But then again, this could just be handled by adding a "negative Entity"
      of "Don't Speak Dwarven" with a sufficient negative magnitude that the
      total "Speak dwarven" less "Don't speak dwarven" has a total count of
      zero or less (hereby declared "false"). So either of the "speak
      dwarven" Entity would still have complete freedom and correctness in
      removing (or adding another Entity), and separate from the "don't speak
      dwarven" entity, which could be removed completely separately.

      Am I far in left field?

      Cheers,
      Jim