Latest version of source uploaded...

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2003
      I have been working on the LST conversion source. The source now converts
      skills, feats, templates, races and spells. This menas that the converter
      can now convert 247 of the 660 LST files.

      There are a few problems with the data conversion:

      - It does not delimit text output, so any &, < or > in the LST files will
      cause problems

      - some of the elements need to be broken up a bit more (PRETEMPLATE being
      one).

      On the other hand it does produce 7.5Mb of xml output

      I have also included in this version the XSDs I have been parsing against.
      feats, skills, templates and races should parse against the XSD, but I
      have not expanded it for spells.

      Note: I have pretty much just dumped the XML out, it will need going over
      with a fine toothed comb to make sure that it is correct. This is as much
      to develop a schema as a converter.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2003
        On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:40:08PM +0000, Frugal wrote:

        > I have been working on the LST conversion source. The source now
        > converts skills, feats, templates, races and spells. This menas that
        > the converter can now convert 247 of the 660 LST files.

        I have *got* to get time to look at this. Hopefully tonight. Good on
        ya, Frugal.

        > There are a few problems with the data conversion:
        >
        > - It does not delimit text output, so any &, < or > in the LST files
        > will cause problems

        Only & and <, technically; XML doesn't care about >. It shouldn't be a
        big problem, though, because those characters shouldn't be in there. So
        far as I know; IIRC a careful eye is kept out for them because they
        break the output sheets.

        > - some of the elements need to be broken up a bit more (PRETEMPLATE
        > being one).
        >
        > On the other hand it does produce 7.5Mb of xml output
        >
        > I have also included in this version the XSDs I have been parsing
        > against. feats, skills, templates and races should parse against the
        > XSD, but I have not expanded it for spells.

        Guess I'm going to have to learn to read XSD, eh?

        > Note: I have pretty much just dumped the XML out, it will need going
        > over with a fine toothed comb to make sure that it is correct. This is
        > as much to develop a schema as a converter.

        Yep. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is just go for it and sort it
        out after.

        Keith Davies "Your ability to bang your head against
        keith.davies@... reality in the hope that reality will
        crack first is impressive, but futile"
        -- Geoffrey Brent, rec.games.frp.dnd
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2003
          On Friday 21 November 2003 16:13, Keith Davies wrote:
          > On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:40:08PM +0000, Frugal wrote:
          > > - It does not delimit text output, so any &, < or > in the LST files
          > > will cause problems
          >
          > Only & and <, technically; XML doesn't care about >. It shouldn't be a
          > big problem, though, because those characters shouldn't be in there. So
          > far as I know; IIRC a careful eye is kept out for them because they
          > break the output sheets.

          PCGen has a delimit function that takes special characters like & and < and
          converts them to & and < before it writes the string to disk.

          > Guess I'm going to have to learn to read XSD, eh?

          I will get XML Spy to do a documentation dump on monday so we will have a set
          of pretty HTML files with nice pretty picture ;O)

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2003
            On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 06:55:47PM +0000, Frugal wrote:
            > On Friday 21 November 2003 16:13, Keith Davies wrote:
            > > On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:40:08PM +0000, Frugal wrote:
            > > > - It does not delimit text output, so any &, < or > in the LST
            > > > files will cause problems
            > >
            > > Only & and <, technically; XML doesn't care about >. It shouldn't
            > > be a big problem, though, because those characters shouldn't be in
            > > there. So far as I know; IIRC a careful eye is kept out for them
            > > because they break the output sheets.
            >
            > PCGen has a delimit function that takes special characters like & and
            > < and converts them to & and < before it writes the string to
            > disk.

            I'd understood that the data was corrected to remove them, but having
            that function does make sense. Okay, so it can still happen.

            > > Guess I'm going to have to learn to read XSD, eh?
            >
            > I will get XML Spy to do a documentation dump on monday so we will have a set
            > of pretty HTML files with nice pretty picture ;O)

            cool. pictures.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 24, 2003
              <quote who="Keith Davies">
              > I'd understood that the data was corrected to remove them, but having
              > that function does make sense. Okay, so it can still happen.

              The code was altered to make sure that they did not get output ;O)

              >> > Guess I'm going to have to learn to read XSD, eh?
              >>
              >> I will get XML Spy to do a documentation dump on monday so we will have
              >> a set
              >> of pretty HTML files with nice pretty picture ;O)
              >
              > cool. pictures.

              Right, here we go. I have uploaded a new copy:

              Files > 20030303 LST -> XML > sample-source-20031124.tgz

              This one contains

              - parsers for: Feats, Skills, Templates, Races, Deities, Equipment and
              Classes.

              - All 3 schema required (pcgen, source: and trans:).

              - The XML spy documentation dumped into the xml-design subdir

              Note, I just rattled the Equipment and Classes ones off to see how
              difficult they were. the Class one especially generates a huge number of
              exceptions, but it does mostly generate XML output.