Re: [pcgen-xml] Question regarding

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 19, 2003
      On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:06:07PM -0500, S Woodside wrote:

      > >> General XML theory (an my opinion) is that attributes should be used
      > >> for machine-readable information only. So, is source.page="Chap.4,
      > >> Skill Descriptions" machine readable? It doesn't look like it.
      > >
      > > I disagree with general XML theory, then. <g>
      > >
      > > In this case, source information is held in attributes because it is
      > > applicable to all entities and data elements, and inheritable. I know
      > > this can be done with elements, but I find attributes make it simpler
      > > for me.
      >
      > You mean it's easier when writing the schema, or easier to use ;-)

      For me, both. I find really big namespaces harder to use.

      > I thinkit's OK to have source info in an attribute if it's machine
      > readable though.

      It is machine readable. The machine doesn't have to do anything but
      present it. I put the source information in attributes because it is an
      attribute of the element, and all child elements that do not override
      it. The obvious other way to do it would have entities looking at
      sibling elements to see what to inherit... this seems very odd to me.

      I'd make source information an element of its own if it were necessary,
      but in this case I don't believe it is and using attributes instead
      seems more natural.

      Keith Davies "Your ability to bang your head against
      keith.davies@... reality in the hope that reality will
      crack first is impressive, but futile"
      -- Geoffrey Brent, rec.games.frp.dnd