Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

.MOD, .FORGET and .COPY

Expand Messages
  • Frugal
    How are you propossing to handle the .MOD, .FORGET and .COPY tags? I can see a couple of ways to handle them, but I am not sure which way you want to do it
    Message 1 of 49 , Nov 13, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      How are you propossing to handle the .MOD, .FORGET and .COPY tags?

      I can see a couple of ways to handle them, but I am not sure which way you
      want to do it with ergard to Entity IDs...


      <skill id="skill.bluff">
      <name>Bluff</name>
      </skill>

      Then is the MODed item either:

      <skill id="skill.bluff">
      <name>Bluffish</name>
      </skill>

      or

      <skill id="skill.bluff.mod">
      <name>Bluffish</name>
      </skill>

      Basically, how unique to IDs have to be...

      This is also going to be an issue when auto converting the data. There are
      currently 6 different occurances of "Speak Language" in the LST files
      currently shipped with PCGen and 5 named "Demolitions".

      Do we prefix the skill ID with the short datasource tag
      (srd.skill.speak.language). If so how do we know which of them will be
      referred to by the MOD.

      Do we have more than one skill with the same tag. If so, do we load just
      the first? Load them in sequence and overwrite the existing data? Load the
      first and then throw and exception on the second and subsequent ones ?

      --
      regards,
      Frugal
      -OS Chimp
    • Scott Ellsworth
      ... Yep. Serious ones. Go take a look at how we manage things in pcgen currently. There are no primary keys, and we analyze strings like
      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 23, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        On Nov 14, 2003, at 3:47 PM, Brass Tilde wrote:

        >> On Friday 14 November 2003 20:03, Brass Tilde wrote:
        >
        >> We currently have >6Mb of data files... 30,000 lines so
        >> probably 25,000 items
        >
        > And you had performace problems with that tiny little thing? One of
        > the
        > tables in our main database, constantly transacted against, currently
        > has
        > over 4 million rows. Several others have in excess of a million. That
        > doesn't count the ancillary databases used for non-Core operations. No
        > primary keys *really* sucks in that environment.

        Yep. Serious ones. Go take a look at how we manage things in pcgen
        currently. There are no primary keys, and we analyze strings like
        "Foo|BAR|fizBot|PREQ:STR>3:Green" with a string tokenizer on "|" and
        then several more on ":" to see whether we should show something in
        green or bold, then eval the prequisite (stored in string form) to see
        if the character meets it, and thus should be show in red.

        Last time I checked, showing the feat screen with just the Big 3 and
        Monte's ranger requires running something like 85,000 strings through a
        bonus checker. I believe that some optimization work has been done
        since then, but we have not set up real dependencies between objects,
        partially because of a lack of keys, and thus we end up re-doing a lot
        of work on tab display.

        This technique was not a bad one when we had just a few items, with
        relatively simple formulas, but we now have zillions of them. Having
        unique ids and objects would make it really, really easy to find
        objects by key, so we could then parse the formulas only once and
        evaluate them as needed without lots of code knowing the difference.

        If all we do is provide a unique id that can be used in maps/sets for
        object lookup, and get all the refs hooked up right. we will have done
        a good thing. If we also parse the formulas once, we will cause
        probably three or four orders of magnitude improvement in
        display/calculation speed. As a bonus, we could determine those things
        to be drawn in a given font/color and paint those, which can result in
        three orders of magnitude improvement in draw time on MacOS X.
        (Changing fonts/colors is pricey, as it goes through a compositor.)

        Scott
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.