Re: [pcgen-xml] Skill question

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
      On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:36:14AM +0000, Frugal wrote:

      > Is there a particular reason why the boolean flags 'useuntrained',
      > 'acheck', and 'excusive' are all tags with the content as text rather than
      > attributes where we can constrain them to be booleans ?

      'Historical reasons'. Tir wants a 'minimal learning curve' for those
      new to XML, so everything possible is a child element. Also, a first
      pass converter I wrote just dumped everything to child elements without
      trying to guess whether it'd be better as an attribute or element.

      The values you're talking about should, I agree, be attributes.

      Keith Davies "Your ability to bang your head against
      keith.davies@... reality in the hope that reality will
      crack first is impressive, but futile"
      -- Geoffrey Brent, rec.games.frp.dnd
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
        <quote who="Keith Davies">
        > 'Historical reasons'. Tir wants a 'minimal learning curve' for those
        > new to XML, so everything possible is a child element. Also, a first
        > pass converter I wrote just dumped everything to child elements without
        > trying to guess whether it'd be better as an attribute or element.

        Did the set of docs dated xml-20030317.zip come after this point ? They
        have a lot of attributes for prereqs.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
          On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 02:35:38PM +0000, Frugal wrote:

          > <quote who="Keith Davies">
          > > 'Historical reasons'. Tir wants a 'minimal learning curve' for those
          > > new to XML, so everything possible is a child element. Also, a first
          > > pass converter I wrote just dumped everything to child elements without
          > > trying to guess whether it'd be better as an attribute or element.
          >
          > Did the set of docs dated xml-20030317.zip come after this point ? They
          > have a lot of attributes for prereqs.

          I don't remember, to be honest. I was planning to rework prereqs
          altogether -- make them more regular and so on. So far, I think I've
          got it down to a single element, using attributes. I wanted to get away
          from PRETHING, PRETHINGLT, etc.