RE: [pcgen-xml] Re: Opinions?

  • CC Americas 1 Carstensen James
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 12, 2003
      How about:

      <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
      <name>Bastard Sword</name>
      <size>medium</size>
      <case>
      <choice>
      <prereq>
      <wprof>exotic</wprof>
      </prereq>
      <endchoice />
      </choice>
      <choice>
      <prereq>
      <wprof>martial</wprof>
      </prereq>
      <size>
      <wield>large</wield>
      </size>
      <choice>
      <esac>
      </equip>

      Basicially: If character has exotic wprof, treat as medium (which means
      one or two handed wielding by normal rules) and stop evaluating choices
      ("<endchoice />"). If character doesn't have exotic weap prof it checks
      the next case, which says that is you have martial weapon prof treat as
      large size only for wielding (which means medium size characters wield 2
      handed, large size characters wield one handed, as per PH). Don't need
      anything funky for non-proficient, that would be standard for any weapon
      if you don't match.

      Cheers,
      Blue

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 12, 2003
        On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 02:05 PM, CC Americas 1 Carstensen
        James wrote:

        > How about:
        >
        > <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
        > <name>Bastard Sword</name>
        > <size>medium</size>
        > <case>
        > <choice>
        > <prereq>
        > <wprof>exotic</wprof>
        > </prereq>
        > <endchoice />
        > </choice>
        > <choice>
        > <prereq>
        > <wprof>martial</wprof>
        > </prereq>
        > <size>
        > <wield>large</wield>
        > </size>
        > <choice>
        > <esac>
        > </equip>
        >
        > Basicially: If character has exotic wprof, treat as medium (which
        > means
        > one or two handed wielding by normal rules) and stop evaluating choices
        > ("<endchoice />").

        Can you explain why you think this is better?

        IME, it's better to use a tree-based structure that can be evaluated
        recursively. XSLT, at least, is often written using recursive logic, so
        it would add extra complexity in the code to handle that kind of logic.

        simon

      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 26, 2003
          It doesn't really matter, so long as the parser knows what it does, and the code can wrap itself around it.

          Tir Gwaith
          PCGen Data SB and BoD
          James wrote:

          > How about:
          >
          > <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
          >   <name>Bastard Sword</name>
          >   <size>medium</size>
          >   <case>
          >     <choice>
          >       <prereq>
          >         <wprof>exotic</wprof>
          >       </prereq>
          >       <endchoice />
          >     </choice>
          >     <choice>
          >       <prereq>
          >         <wprof>martial</wprof>
          >       </prereq>
          >       <size>
          >          <wield>large</wield>
          >       </size>
          >     <choice>
          >   <esac>
          > </equip>
          >
          > Basicially:  If character has exotic wprof, treat as medium (which
          > means
          > one or two handed wielding by normal rules) and stop evaluating choices
          > ("<endchoice />").

          Can you explain why you think this is better?

          IME, it's better to use a tree-based structure that can be evaluated
          recursively. XSLT, at least, is often written using recursive logic, so
          it would add extra complexity in the code to handle that kind of logic.

          simon

          > If character doesn't have exotic weap prof it checks
          > the next case, which says that is you have martial weapon prof treat as
          > large size only for wielding (which means medium size characters wield
          > 2
          > handed, large size characters wield one handed, as per PH).  Don't need
          > anything funky for non-proficient, that would be standard for any
          > weapon
          > if you don't match.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Blue

        • S Woodside
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 26, 2003
            It matters if one data format makes for simpler, easier to write,
            understand, and maintain, code.

            simon

            On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 11:48 PM, Tir Gwaith wrote:

            > It doesn't really matter, so long as the parser knows what it does,
            > and the code can wrap itself around it.
            >
            > Tir Gwaith
            > PCGen Data SB and BoD

            <image.tiff>

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 27, 2003
              I'm more interested in getting a more coherent method of data storage. Most
              of our users have a difficult time writing data files, and the easier to
              understand the better. We have a lot fewer code monkeys. If we are going
              to make something easier to understand, it ought to be the data format.
              Confusing so only 10 people can do it right so it is easier on 3 code
              monkeys isn't of much value. Confusing code for 3 monkeys, and usable by
              100's of users, on the otherhand, while a pain, is worth more.

              Tir Gwaith
              PCGen Data SB and BoD

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 27, 2003
                That makes sense.