Re: Opinions?

  • tsalla2
    Message 1 of 20 , May 9, 2003
      I don't know if a firm decision has been made about how data should be
      formatted when using prerequisites, so if you are done taking
      suggestions, sorry I was late. I'm afraid I only just found out about
      this site yesterday. (And I must say, I'm glad it exists.)

      I'm not really enamored with any of the possibilities you mentioned
      either. Of them, I'd probably prefer number 3 or 4.

      The bastard sword is an interesting example, and I think part of the
      confusion here comes from using <prereqs> in a different fashion than
      in other examples I've seen. Most uses indicate whether a character
      can *be* or *have* something, not which category something falls into
      when the character has it. And in the case of weapons, at least,
      there are times when it would be useful to know what category of
      proficiency type it is generally classified as *without a particular
      wielder*. (For a bastard sword, I'm not sure whether "Martial" or
      "Martial, Exotic" would be more appropriate.)

      <prereqs> is going to evaluate to TRUE or FALSE. Why not treat
      multiple cases as some sort of override? An object would be complete
      with a default, but any conditional changes could be flagged with an
      attribute and specified in a new type of element. For example:

      <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
      <name>Bastard Sword</name>
      <wprof varies="1">Martial, Exotic</wprof>

      <override>
      <case>
      <prereqs><preequiphands eq="2"/></prereqs>
      </case>
      <case>
      </case>
      <case>
      </case>
      <otherwise>
      </otherwise>
      </override>
      </equip>

      If you just want to list the proficiency type of a bastard sword in a
      table with a bunch of other weapons, you'd just list its default value
      (outside the <override> section). If you wanted to determine the
      current type for a given user, you'd see the main <wprof> had a
      "varies" attribute set, so you would ignore it and evaluate the
      <override> section. You could even just list all the possible cases
      for the <override> section.

      You could use this approach for less common situations too:

      <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
      <name varies="1">Bastard Sword</name>
      <wprof varies="1">Martial, Exotic</wprof>

      <override>
      <case>
      </case>
      <case>
      <include>
      <name>Bastard Blade</name>
      <name>Human-Hewer</name>
      <name>Ir-Korthok</name>
      </include>
      </case>
      <otherwise>
      </otherwise>
      </override>

      <override>
      <case>
      <prereqs><preequiphands eq="2"/></prereqs>
      </case>
      <case>
      </case>
      <case>
      </case>
      <otherwise>
      </otherwise>
      </override>
      </equip>

      I'm not sure this approach solves all your problems, and I'm sure it
      can be refined. "Override" might not be the best term, and perhaps
      "Condition" or something would be better. I thought I'd through the
      idea out there, though. Hope it helps.

      tsalla
    • dlm1065
      Message 2 of 20 , May 11, 2003
        I'll be blunt I haven't a clue yet on xml but I will once I have a
        little more time to focus on learning it. But as a person working
        on lst I have a question. Which of the methods is going to allow for
        modifications the easiest by other data sets 3,4, or 5(tsalla's).

        Examples
        1)one book calls it bastard sword, another book calls it sowrd and a
        half, something else calls it Fooboz. I want to use the name fooboz
        with the data from bastard sword, after all why enter the same data
        20 times for different names?

        2)WOTC player's Paladin. In dragonstar he gets technical proficiency
        and other new armor and weapon proficiencies but he also looses
        class skills(like ride) and SA's (like Summon Special Mount).
        Present lst cannot back out class skills(at least not last time I
        checked). It can back out SA's with a CLEAR. To do this lst code you
        have to make an entire new paladin with a name to indicate the book,
        Paladin(DS).

        3)WOTC handbook race elf. In dragonstar the elf racial abilities are
        added to. You gt an additional +2 racial bonus on freefall checks &
        +2 racial bonus to knowledge. Which has a lst code of this in DS
        races.

        RACE:Elf.MOD
        BONUS:SKILL|Freefall,Knowledge (Biology)|2|TYPE=Racial
        TEMPLATE:DS Regions

        So how would method 3,4,5 handle the MOD or CLEAR syntax in a manner
        that would be the simpleist to understand and code??
      • tsalla2
        Message 3 of 20 , May 11, 2003
          --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "dlm1065" <dlm1065@h...> wrote:
          > Which of the methods is going to allow for
          > modifications the easiest by other data sets 3,4, or 5(tsalla's).

          > So how would method 3,4,5 handle the MOD or CLEAR syntax in a manner
          > that would be the simpleist to understand and code??

          Interesting question. I'm not very familiar with the lst format and
          am not sure how things are coded into PCGen. I can see how something
          similar to method 5 could be used to modify data from other sets,
          although that was not what was intended when I suggested it. I was
          trying to apply modifications to an item on the fly based on
          prerequisites... in other words, whether or not a bastard sword is an
          exotic weapon or not depends on the wielder and how he trys to wield
          it. Both options are available in the same campaign, or even with the
          same character. It works the same for all (standard) bastard swords.

          If you are trying to make variants, a different tag could be used in
          the same way (mod and/or clear, etc.) provided the "source" is also
          loaded and the program is set up to handle it. To be honest, though,
          I think it would be better to just copy the source material (for
          example, "paladin"), change the name, and make your changes. If you
          want to highlight what's different, you could just add comment lines
          where appropriate. That way if the source ever changes suddenly, or
          if you don't want to load it, your variant would stay the same.

          The only time this wouldn't really work is if you wanted to tweak
          proprietary stuff and share it publicly. (Which would be wrong.)
          Then you really would need to just share your changes.

          I would be curious to know what the monkeys' thoughts are on this too.

          Curious George (tsalla)
        • dlm1065
          Message 4 of 20 , May 14, 2003
            --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "tsalla2" <tsalla@v...> wrote:
            > --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "dlm1065" <dlm1065@h...> wrote:
            > > Which of the methods is going to allow for
            > > modifications the easiest by other data sets 3,4, or 5
            (tsalla's).

            > > So how would method 3,4,5 handle the MOD or CLEAR syntax in a
            manner
            > > that would be the simpleist to understand and code??
            >
            > Interesting question. I'm not very familiar with the lst format
            and
            > am not sure how things are coded into PCGen. I can see how
            something
            > similar to method 5 could be used to modify data from other sets,
            > although that was not what was intended when I suggested it. I was
            > trying to apply modifications to an item on the fly based on
            > prerequisites... in other words, whether or not a bastard sword is
            an
            > exotic weapon or not depends on the wielder and how he trys to
            wield
            > it. Both options are available in the same campaign, or even with
            the
            > same character. It works the same for all (standard) bastard
            swords.

            > If you are trying to make variants, a different tag could be used
            in
            > the same way (mod and/or clear, etc.) provided the "source" is also
            > loaded and the program is set up to handle it. To be honest,
            though,
            > I think it would be better to just copy the source material (for
            > example, "paladin"), change the name, and make your changes. If
            you
            > want to highlight what's different, you could just add comment
            lines
            > where appropriate. That way if the source ever changes suddenly,
            or
            > if you don't want to load it, your variant would stay the same.
            >
            > The only time this wouldn't really work is if you wanted to tweak
            > proprietary stuff and share it publicly. (Which would be wrong.)
            > Then you really would need to just share your changes.
            >
            > I would be curious to know what the monkeys' thoughts are on this
            too.

            > Curious George (tsalla)

            Nope. We do the MOD and CLEAR already. Think of it this way we have
            the race elf in the srd and book blah says use elf but give it these
            abilities extra. TSR/WOTC/Hasbro changes the SRD elf by having a MOD
            pointing to a previous dataset you are actually protecting the
            intellectual property of WOTC and having to change only one set of
            data instead of hunting through all the books for "lic. duplicates"
            of that race which may have only a skill added.

            Example
            (the following would be on 1 line tab delimited in an actual lst)

            RACE:Elf.MOD
            OUTPUTNAME:Elf(DS)
            BONUS:SKILL|Freefall,Knowledge (Biology)|2|TYPE=Racial
            SOURCEPAGE:
            Message 5 of 20 , May 15, 2003
              On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 10:06:27PM +0000, tsalla2 wrote:
              > I don't know if a firm decision has been made about how data should be
              > formatted when using prerequisites, so if you are done taking
              > suggestions, sorry I was late. I'm afraid I only just found out about
              > this site yesterday. (And I must say, I'm glad it exists.)

              I'm currently (as in 'in the last couple of days') revising <prereqs>.
              I think I can reduce the 41 elements to... one. With consistent
              (although unfortunately not *dead simple*) interpretation.

              > I'm not really enamored with any of the possibilities you mentioned
              > either. Of them, I'd probably prefer number 3 or 4.
              >
              > The bastard sword is an interesting example, and I think part of the
              > confusion here comes from using <prereqs> in a different fashion than
              > in other examples I've seen. Most uses indicate whether a character
              > can *be* or *have* something, not which category something falls into
              > when the character has it. And in the case of weapons, at least,
              > there are times when it would be useful to know what category of
              > proficiency type it is generally classified as *without a particular
              > wielder*. (For a bastard sword, I'm not sure whether "Martial" or
              > "Martial, Exotic" would be more appropriate.)

              IIRC, there are other places where aspects of the entity being described
              apply only when the character meets certain prerequisites (see Holy
              Sword -- the bonus is +2, or higher if the character is a paladin).
              Thus, there are precedents for doing this.

              That said, I think it's a crappy example and a lousy way of handling
              this particular problem. What I'd like to see is the ability to define
              certain rules associated with, in this case, proficiency. So, bastard
              sword would become:

              <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
              <name>Bastard Sword</name>
              <wprof refid='wprof.bastard' />
              </equip>

              or something similar. There would be a <proficiency> element somewhere
              that defines what 'bastard' means (we could further define
              'bastard-simple', 'bastard-martial', etc. if desired). There are other
              ways this can be done.

              > multiple cases as some sort of override? An object would be complete
              > with a default, but any conditional changes could be flagged with an
              > attribute and specified in a new type of element. For example:
              >
              > <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
              > <name>Bastard Sword</name>
              > <wprof varies="1">Martial, Exotic</wprof>
              >
              > <override>
              > <case>
              > <prereqs><preequiphands eq="2"/></prereqs>
              > </case>
              > <case>
              > </case>
              > <case>
              > </case>
              > <otherwise>
              > </otherwise>
              > </override>
              > </equip>
              >
              > If you just want to list the proficiency type of a bastard sword in a
              > table with a bunch of other weapons, you'd just list its default value
              > (outside the <override> section). If you wanted to determine the
              > current type for a given user, you'd see the main <wprof> had a
              > "varies" attribute set, so you would ignore it and evaluate the
              > <override> section. You could even just list all the possible cases
              > for the <override> section.
              >
              > You could use this approach for less common situations too:
              >
              > <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
              > <name varies="1">Bastard Sword</name>
              > <wprof varies="1">Martial, Exotic</wprof>
              >
              > <override>
              > <case>
              > </case>
              > <case>
              > <include>
              > <name>Bastard Blade</name>
              > <name>Human-Hewer</name>
              > <name>Ir-Korthok</name>
              > </include>
              > </case>
              > <otherwise>
              > </otherwise>
              > </override>
              >
              > <override>
              > <case>
              > <prereqs><preequiphands eq="2"/></prereqs>
              > </case>
              > <case>
              > </case>
              > <case>
              > </case>
              > <otherwise>
              > </otherwise>
              > </override>
              > </equip>
              >
              > I'm not sure this approach solves all your problems, and I'm sure it
              > can be refined. "Override" might not be the best term, and perhaps
              > "Condition" or something would be better. I thought I'd through the
              > idea out there, though. Hope it helps.

              Interesting ideas. I'd need to think about it before pursuing.

              Message 6 of 20 , May 15, 2003
                On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 08:30:33PM +0000, dlm1065 wrote:
                > I'll be blunt I haven't a clue yet on xml but I will once I have a
                > little more time to focus on learning it. But as a person working
                > on lst I have a question. Which of the methods is going to allow for
                > modifications the easiest by other data sets 3,4, or 5(tsalla's).
                >
                > Examples
                > 1)one book calls it bastard sword, another book calls it sowrd and a
                > half, something else calls it Fooboz. I want to use the name fooboz
                > with the data from bastard sword, after all why enter the same data
                > 20 times for different names?

                If you want to have multiple items with the same data (more or less) you
                can do

                <copy:equip id="equip.fooboz" refid="equip.bastard-sword">
                <name>Foobox</name>
                </copy>

                Alternatively, make name a repeatable element; the names can be used
                interchangeably because they all point at the same thing. I'm not
                entirely happy with that, though, because applying it means you're going
                to either have only single derivations, or multiple. That is, you'll
                see lists showing

                Bastard Sword +1
                Fooboz +1

                resulting in potentially *huge* numbers of things, or you'll have only
                one of the above (which one?) meaning that not everything will have
                entries. Neither is, to me, a good solution. (Now, if they differ in
                more than name it's a moot point; both should correctly be present.)

                > 2)WOTC player's Paladin. In dragonstar he gets technical proficiency
                > and other new armor and weapon proficiencies but he also looses
                > class skills(like ride) and SA's (like Summon Special Mount).
                > Present lst cannot back out class skills(at least not last time I
                > checked). It can back out SA's with a CLEAR. To do this lst code you
                > have to make an entire new paladin with a name to indicate the book,
                > Paladin(DS).

                To be dealt with later; currently my requirement is that we can support
                *at least* as much as current LST syntax. There are places where the
                XML will exceed the capabilities of LST (specifically prereqs -- the XML
                will do much more than the program supports at the moment).

                > 3)WOTC handbook race elf. In dragonstar the elf racial abilities are
                > added to. You gt an additional +2 racial bonus on freefall checks &
                > +2 racial bonus to knowledge. Which has a lst code of this in DS
                > races.
                >
                > RACE:Elf.MOD
                > BONUS:SKILL|Freefall,Knowledge (Biology)|2|TYPE=Racial
                > TEMPLATE:DS Regions
                >
                > So how would method 3,4,5 handle the MOD or CLEAR syntax in a manner
                > that would be the simpleist to understand and code??

                <race id="race.elf" />

                <mod:race refid="race.elf">
                <add:bonus />
                <add:template />
                </mod:race>

                or something to that effect. Much is elided above simply because I
                haven't looked at it too hard recently and am not entirely certain what
                the syntax is, or because the content is either obvious or not important
                to the message (specifically for the 'original elf definition')....

              • dlm1065
                Message 7 of 20 , May 17, 2003
                  > > RACE:Elf.MOD
                  > > BONUS:SKILL|Freefall,Knowledge (Biology)|2|TYPE=Racial
                  > > TEMPLATE:DS Regions
                  > >
                  > > So how would method 3,4,5 handle the MOD or CLEAR syntax in a
                  manner
                  > > that would be the simpleist to understand and code??
                  >
                  > <race id="race.elf" />
                  >
                  > <mod:race refid="race.elf">
                  > <add:bonus />
                  > <add:template />
                  > </mod:race>
                  >
                  > or something to that effect. Much is elided above simply because I
                  > haven't looked at it too hard recently and am not entirely certain
                  what
                  > the syntax is, or because the content is either obvious or not
                  important
                  > to the message (specifically for the 'original elf definition')....

                  > Keith Davies
                  > keith.davies@k...

                  If it looks anything close to what you have here then even a xml
                  cluseless person like me can handle working with it fairly easily.
                  Appreciate your explanation.
                • sbwoodside
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 29, 2003
                    --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...> wrote:
                    > <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
                    > <name>Bastard Sword</name>
                    > <wprof>Martial<prereqs><preequiphands eq="2"/></prereqs></wprof>
                    > <wprof>Exotic<prereqs><preequiphands eq="1"/></prereqs>
                    > </wprof>
                    > </equip>
                    >
                    > I'm not entirely happy with this. The XML schema design books I've read
                    > have all said that, unless it is something inherently mixed (such as
                    > document text) that mixing plain character data with elements is a Bad
                    > Thing -- that an element should contain either other elements, or plain
                    > text, but not both. In fact, I've seen recommendations that even
                    > document text should follow the same rules.

                    I've been doing work with schemas lately (in a project called
                    Alexandra) and agreed, inlining is a hassle that's good to avoid.

                    > A fourth possibility is that we allow more than one mode.
                    > Specificially, we can store the text value of an element in the element
                    > body if there are no other child elements, or we store it in the 'value'
                    > attribute if there are other child elements.
                    >
                    > <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
                    > <name>Bastard Sword</name>
                    > <wprof value="Martial"><prereqs><preequiphands
                    eq="2"/></prereqs></wprof>
                    > <wprof value="Martial"><prereqs><presize
                    min="Large"/></prereqs></wprof>
                    > </wprof>
                    > </equip>
                    Generally from what I've read and seen, attributes should be
                    restricted to data that's useful when automatically processing the XML
                    by software (but not people).

                    How about this:
                    <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
                    <name>Bastard Sword</name>
                    <wprof>
                    <type>Martial</type>
                    <prereqs>
                    <equiphands>2</equiphands>
                    </prereqs>
                    </wprof>
                    <wprof<
                    <type>Martial</type>
                    <prereqs>
                    <size>
                    <limit>minimum</limit>
                    <value>Large</value>
                    </size>
                    </prereqs>
                    </wprof>
                    <wprof>
                    <type>Exotic</type>
                    <prereqs>
                    <handseq>1</handseq>
                    </prereqs>
                    </wprof>
                    </equip>

                    > This lets us avoid mixed-mode elements; each element contains either
                    > text or child elements at any given time. It does make it harder to
                    > deal with because we have to look in two places to get the information.
                    > OTOH, even looking in two places is, I think, simpler than trying to
                    > sort out what is data and what isn't.

                    With XSLT at least it shouldn't be too hard to do that, using
                    apply-templates to automatically expand all the possibilities.

                    simon

                    http://www.simonwoodside.com/
                  • sbwoodside
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 29, 2003
                      --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, "dlm1065" <dlm1065@h...> wrote:
                      > I'll be blunt I haven't a clue yet on xml but I will once I have a
                      > little more time to focus on learning it.

                      I've been working with XML and schemas for about a year now so maybe I
                      can help a bit.

                      > But as a person working
                      > on lst I have a question. Which of the methods is going to allow for
                      > modifications the easiest by other data sets 3,4, or 5(tsalla's).
                      >
                      > Examples
                      > 1)one book calls it bastard sword, another book calls it sowrd and a
                      > half, something else calls it Fooboz. I want to use the name fooboz
                      > with the data from bastard sword, after all why enter the same data
                      > 20 times for different names?

                      In this case with XML it's best to separate the data logic and the
                      application logic. Generally attributes are a good place to put
                      application logic, that will be automatically applied, and elements
                      are a good place to apply data logic. You might wind up with something
                      like this...

                      <weapon id="equip.bastard_sword">
                      <names>
                      <common_name>Bastard Sword</common_name>
                      <name>
                      <system>D&D</system>
                      <local_name>Bastard Sword</local_name>
                      </name>
                      <name>
                      <system>
                      <system>System of Doom</system>
                      <local_name>Fooboz</local_name>
                      </system>
                      </name>
                      </names>
                      </weapon>

                      simon
                    • Harald Meland
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 30, 2003
                        [sbwoodside]

                        > How about this:
                        > <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
                        > <name>Bastard Sword</name>
                        > <wprof>
                        > <type>Martial</type>
                        > <prereqs>
                        > <equiphands>2</equiphands>
                        > </prereqs>
                        > </wprof>
                        > <wprof<
                        > <type>Martial</type>
                        > <prereqs>
                        > <size>
                        > <limit>minimum</limit>
                        > <value>Large</value>
                        > </size>
                        > </prereqs>
                        > </wprof>
                        > <wprof>
                        > <type>Exotic</type>
                        > <prereqs>
                        > <handseq>1</handseq>
                        > </prereqs>
                        > </wprof>
                        > </equip>

                        Sorry for jumping into this discussion without having followed it from
                        the start; I'm new here. Is there anything, e.g. a "current status
                        document", I should read before making too much of a fool of myself
                        here?

                        I guess the reason for coding the first two "Martial" entries in two
                        separate elements is there is an implicit logical "OR" between each of
                        the <wprof> elements; one has to either qualify for the first (and
                        equip the sword in both hands) *or* for the second (i.e. the character
                        has to be at least of size "Large").

                        However, I don't understand the difference between the <equiphands>
                        and <handseq> elements. Also, I would intuitively feel better about

                        <size_minimum>

                        (or maybe <size_le> or <size_lt>), than your

                        , as in an <equip> context, I don't understand what one would want a
                        <size> element for besides imposing size limits -- and these are
                        either minimum or maximum limits (possibly with the variations of
                        being inclusive or exclusive).
                        --
                        Harald
                      • S Woodside
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 30, 2003
                          On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 05:38 AM, Harald Meland wrote:

                          > [sbwoodside]
                          >
                          >> How about this:
                          >> <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
                          >> <name>Bastard Sword</name>
                          >> <wprof>
                          >> <type>Martial</type>
                          >> <prereqs>
                          >> <equiphands>2</equiphands>
                          >> </prereqs>
                          >> </wprof>
                          >> <wprof<
                          >> <type>Martial</type>
                          >> <prereqs>
                          >> <size>
                          >> <limit>minimum</limit>
                          >> <value>Large</value>
                          >> </size>
                          >> </prereqs>
                          >> </wprof>
                          >> <wprof>
                          >> <type>Exotic</type>
                          >> <prereqs>
                          >> <handseq>1</handseq>
                          >> </prereqs>
                          >> </wprof>
                          >> </equip>
                          >
                          > Sorry for jumping into this discussion without having followed it from
                          > the start; I'm new here. Is there anything, e.g. a "current status
                          > document", I should read before making too much of a fool of myself
                          > here?

                          I'm not sure either. I looked at the docs in the files section but it
                          seems like it's a work still in progress.

                          > I guess the reason for coding the first two "Martial" entries in two
                          > separate elements is there is an implicit logical "OR" between each of
                          > the <wprof> elements; one has to either qualify for the first (and
                          > equip the sword in both hands) *or* for the second (i.e. the character
                          > has to be at least of size "Large").

                          Ok, I didn't realize that. In that case, this would be better.

                          <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
                          <name>Bastard Sword</name>
                          <requires>
                          <choose>
                          <choice>
                          <wprof>
                          <type>Martial</type>
                          <prereqs>
                          <equiphands>2</equiphands>
                          </prereqs>
                          </wprof>
                          </choice>
                          <choice>
                          <wprof>
                          <type>Martial</type>
                          <prereqs>
                          <size>
                          <limit>minimum</limit>
                          <value>Large</value>
                          </size>
                          </prereqs>
                          </wprof>
                          </choice>
                          </choose>
                          <wprof>
                          <type>Exotic</type>
                          <prereqs>
                          <handseq>1</handseq>
                          </prereqs>
                          </wprof>
                          </requires>
                          </equip>

                          After reading some of the ideas about using references, I think that's
                          a good idea. This might work, using <ref> and <define>, where a define
                          can substitute in for a ref.

                          <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
                          <name>Bastard Sword</name>
                          <requires>
                          <choose>
                          <choice>
                          <ref name="wprof_2handed"/>
                          </choice>
                          <choice>
                          <ref name="wprof_size_min_large"/>
                          </choice>
                          </choose>
                          <ref name="wprof_exotic_handseq_1"/>
                          </requires>
                          </equip>

                          <define name="wprof_2handed">
                          <wprof>
                          <type>Martial</type>
                          <prereqs>
                          <equiphands>2</equiphands>
                          </prereqs>
                          </wprof>
                          </define>
                          <define name="wprof_size_min_large">
                          <wprof>
                          <type>Martial</type>
                          <prereqs>
                          <size>
                          <limit>minimum</limit>
                          <value>Large</value>
                          </size>
                          </prereqs>
                          </wprof>
                          </define>
                          <define name="wprof_exotic_handseq_1">
                          <wprof>
                          <type>Exotic</type>
                          <prereqs>
                          <handseq>1</handseq>
                          </prereqs>
                          </wprof>
                          </define>

                          > However, I don't understand the difference between the <equiphands>
                          > and <handseq> elements. Also, I would intuitively feel better about
                          >
                          > <size_minimum>
                          >
                          > (or maybe <size_le> or <size_lt>), than your

                          > , as in an <equip> context, I don't understand what one would want a
                          > <size> element for besides imposing size limits -- and these are
                          > either minimum or maximum limits (possibly with the variations of
                          > being inclusive or exclusive).

                          Yeah, I don't see a problem with that.

                          simon

                          > --
                          > Harald

                          anti-spam: do not post this address publicly
                          www.simonwoodside.com -- 99% Devil, 1% Angel
                        • CC Americas 1 Carstensen James
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 12, 2003
                            How about:

                            <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
                            <name>Bastard Sword</name>
                            <size>medium</size>
                            <case>
                            <choice>
                            <prereq>
                            <wprof>exotic</wprof>
                            </prereq>
                            <endchoice />
                            </choice>
                            <choice>
                            <prereq>
                            <wprof>martial</wprof>
                            </prereq>
                            <size>
                            <wield>large</wield>
                            </size>
                            <choice>
                            <esac>
                            </equip>

                            Basicially: If character has exotic wprof, treat as medium (which means
                            one or two handed wielding by normal rules) and stop evaluating choices
                            ("<endchoice />"). If character doesn't have exotic weap prof it checks
                            the next case, which says that is you have martial weapon prof treat as
                            large size only for wielding (which means medium size characters wield 2
                            handed, large size characters wield one handed, as per PH). Don't need
                            anything funky for non-proficient, that would be standard for any weapon
                            if you don't match.

                            Cheers,
                            Blue

> [...]

                            <type>Exotic</type>
                            <prereqs>
                            <handseq>1</handseq>
                            </prereqs>
                            </wprof>
                            </define>

                            > However, I don't understand the difference between the <equiphands>
                            > and <handseq> elements. Also, I would intuitively feel better about
                            >
                            > <size_minimum>
                            >
                            > (or maybe <size_le> or <size_lt>), than your

                            > , as in an <equip> context, I don't understand what one would want a
                            > <size> element for besides imposing size limits -- and these are
                            > either minimum or maximum limits (possibly with the variations of
                            > being inclusive or exclusive).

                            Yeah, I don't see a problem with that.

                            simon

                            > --
                            > Harald

                            anti-spam: do not post this address publicly

                            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                          • S Woodside
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 12, 2003
                              On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 02:05 PM, CC Americas 1 Carstensen
                              James wrote:

                              > How about:
                              >
                              > <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
                              > <name>Bastard Sword</name>
                              > <size>medium</size>
                              > <case>
                              > <choice>
                              > <prereq>
                              > <wprof>exotic</wprof>
                              > </prereq>
                              > <endchoice />
                              > </choice>
                              > <choice>
                              > <prereq>
                              > <wprof>martial</wprof>
                              > </prereq>
                              > <size>
                              > <wield>large</wield>
                              > </size>
                              > <choice>
                              > <esac>
                              > </equip>
                              >
                              > Basicially: If character has exotic wprof, treat as medium (which
                              > means
                              > one or two handed wielding by normal rules) and stop evaluating choices
                              > ("<endchoice />").

                              Can you explain why you think this is better?

                              IME, it's better to use a tree-based structure that can be evaluated
                              recursively. XSLT, at least, is often written using recursive logic, so
                              it would add extra complexity in the code to handle that kind of logic.

                              simon

                            • Tir Gwaith
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 26, 2003
                                It doesn't really matter, so long as the parser knows what it does, and the code can wrap itself around it.

                                Tir Gwaith
                                PCGen Data SB and BoD
                                James wrote:

                                > How about:
                                >
                                > <equip id="equip.bastard-sword">
                                >   <name>Bastard Sword</name>
                                >   <size>medium</size>
                                >   <case>
                                >     <choice>
                                >       <prereq>
                                >         <wprof>exotic</wprof>
                                >       </prereq>
                                >       <endchoice />
                                >     </choice>
                                >     <choice>
                                >       <prereq>
                                >         <wprof>martial</wprof>
                                >       </prereq>
                                >       <size>
                                >          <wield>large</wield>
                                >       </size>
                                >     <choice>
                                >   <esac>
                                > </equip>
                                >
                                > Basicially:  If character has exotic wprof, treat as medium (which
                                > means
                                > one or two handed wielding by normal rules) and stop evaluating choices
                                > ("<endchoice />").

                                Can you explain why you think this is better?

                                IME, it's better to use a tree-based structure that can be evaluated
                                recursively. XSLT, at least, is often written using recursive logic, so
                                it would add extra complexity in the code to handle that kind of logic.

                                simon

                                > If character doesn't have exotic weap prof it checks
                                > the next case, which says that is you have martial weapon prof treat as
                                > large size only for wielding (which means medium size characters wield
                                > 2
                                > handed, large size characters wield one handed, as per PH).  Don't need
                                > anything funky for non-proficient, that would be standard for any
                                > weapon
                                > if you don't match.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                > Blue

                              • S Woodside
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 26, 2003
                                  It matters if one data format makes for simpler, easier to write,
                                  understand, and maintain, code.

                                  simon

                                  On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 11:48 PM, Tir Gwaith wrote:

                                  > It doesn't really matter, so long as the parser knows what it does,
                                  > and the code can wrap itself around it.
                                  >
                                  > Tir Gwaith
                                  > PCGen Data SB and BoD

                                  <image.tiff>

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 27, 2003
                                    I'm more interested in getting a more coherent method of data storage. Most
                                    of our users have a difficult time writing data files, and the easier to
                                    understand the better. We have a lot fewer code monkeys. If we are going
                                    to make something easier to understand, it ought to be the data format.
                                    Confusing so only 10 people can do it right so it is easier on 3 code
                                    monkeys isn't of much value. Confusing code for 3 monkeys, and usable by
                                    100's of users, on the otherhand, while a pain, is worth more.

                                    Tir Gwaith
                                    PCGen Data SB and BoD

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 27, 2003
                                      That makes sense.