Re: [pcgen-xml] Greetings....

  • David Braun
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2003
      Now, now, there is only one of me.

      The first step to understanding xml and java is understand the parsers. There
      are SAX and DOM parsers. Each of which have different strenghts. When I
      started with java and xml I used the sun site and apache.

      SAX parsers take less time to implement but don't really allow random access
      to a xml file, but are faster as loading. Validation is the issue with SAX,
      there is a varity of answers to this one.

      DOM parsers take longer to implement because you have the option of building a
      collection of objects that parse the data. This is really good is you know
      your document well and its not going to change alot. Basically because you
      will have alot of time invested in developing the objects etc...

      I have used tools like castor before to generate data objects from a schema,
      its nothing like breeze etc but its a good first shot at it. Sun is also
      defining an api along these lines.

      Let me know if this helps.