Just a note...

  • merton_monk
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2003
      Guys - I've been reading the posts and it sounds like you've taken
      everything into consideration. I'm eager to get this process
      rolling because I think everyone will see the advantages it has to
      offer. I'm really appreciative of you guys putting your talents to
      work here - the lst syntax I originally developed was fine for a
      small-scale app, but xml is really the way to go for a very
      widespread app like PCGen is now. I've learned a lot about java
      through my development of PCGen, and I'm looking forward to learning
      xml through the implementation of this project. It does sound like
      you guys are ready to hit the pavement running - I'm sure there will
      be little bumps, but I doubt it will be anything that can't be
      solved in reasonable fashion. We really are at an interesting time -
      we have a chance to set the xml standard for xml both in terms of
      character files and data. Who knows what will happen, but it's a
      lot of fun to be in this position. :) Right now we can just focus on
      the format in terms of how it will work with PCGen, but we need to
      keep an open mind to expanding it for all d20 apps.

      -Bryan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2003
        On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 02:56:58PM +0000, merton_monk wrote:
        > Guys - I've been reading the posts and it sounds like you've taken
        > everything into consideration. I'm eager to get this process rolling
        > because I think everyone will see the advantages it has to offer. I'm
        > really appreciative of you guys putting your talents to work here -
        > the lst syntax I originally developed was fine for a small-scale app,
        > but xml is really the way to go for a very widespread app like PCGen
        > is now. I've learned a lot about java through my development of
        > PCGen, and I'm looking forward to learning xml through the
        > implementation of this project. It does sound like you guys are ready
        > to hit the pavement running - I'm sure there will be little bumps, but
        > I doubt it will be anything that can't be solved in reasonable
        > fashion. We really are at an interesting time - we have a chance to
        > set the xml standard for xml both in terms of character files and
        > data. Who knows what will happen, but it's a lot of fun to be in this
        > position. :) Right now we can just focus on the format in terms of how
        > it will work with PCGen, but we need to keep an open mind to expanding
        > it for all d20 apps.

        I would suggest that we do *not* use the schema currently being
        developed as a standard. It is an interim schema used to help move from
        LST to XML, but it is not very good XML. I would like to have it
        referred to as 'the interim schema' because I expect it to be used just
        while we get people comfortable with XML.

        This is not a good time to convert from LST to good XML. There is
        resistance to significant changes in the data model, both because of
        time available to make changes and risk of alienating or confusing
        existing users of the data. We're sticking with a schema that is close
        to the existing LST syntax out of necessity, not out of a desire for
        good engineering.

        This will not be very good XML, and while we may end up creating the de
        facto standard, I strongly recommend that this not be it. The next
        generation will, I think, be considerably better and a better candidate
        for a standard.

        In the meantime, I've got some examples to hammer together and get
        posted (after we get back from shopping... food more important than
        PCGen) today, so I'd best be to it.

        [sent off-list]