Re: [pcgen-xml] Shooting the engineers and building the darn thing

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2003
      On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:09:40AM -0500, CC Americas 1 Carstensen James wrote:
      > Keith,
      >
      > We're all fired up to go, but the past few days have been debating
      > important but not show stopping points. I'd like to actually jump in
      > and start working out conversion XML, and convert a few files with it to
      > see if it works.. I think this will show the strengths and weaknesses
      > from the practical side, which will add to all of our discussions on the
      > theoretical side.
      >
      > Do you want to assign me a file type to do, or should I just dive in and
      > let you know what I'm working on? Whatever gets done first will most
      > likely have to be redone as we standardize more, get into the groove,
      > and work out our style, but something still has to get done first and
      > I'm willing to do it.
      >
      > You've given us plenty of guidance, and there are lots of examples of
      > you've posted. I guess my focus for this phase would be:
      >
      > (a) Following your guidelines and examples.
      > (b) Duplicating current LST functionality exactly to keep code
      > conversions to just loading
      > (c) Maximize (hopefully 100%) that XML data comes from LST data to make
      > converting easiest.

      We don't have a formal method of documenting the designs yet, and we
      don't want to actually *do* the conversions yet. For now, do some
      examples that demonstrate the XML syntax. For example, we don't have a
      good way of saying 'a spell consists of ...', but we can do:

      <lst:spell id="spell.fireball">
      <name>Fireball</name>
      <school>Invocation</school>
      <components>VSM</components>
      <!--- und so weiter -->
      </lst:spell>

      Pick varied examples, including simple ones and complex ones. To quote
      a Perl philosophy, we want 'easy things easy and hard things possible'.
      If the common case is difficult to use, we don't have a good design
      (in either the XML or the base (game) system, depending... there are
      certain things in d20 that, if I ever find the person who designed them,
      I'll happily shake him by the throat... <g>); if something is difficult
      but doesn't come up often because it's a weird rule or something, I'll
      be satisfied.