Shooting the engineers and building the darn thing

  • CC Americas 1 Carstensen James
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2003
      Keith,

      We're all fired up to go, but the past few days have been debating
      important but not show stopping points. I'd like to actually jump in
      and start working out conversion XML, and convert a few files with it to
      see if it works.. I think this will show the strengths and weaknesses
      from the practical side, which will add to all of our discussions on the
      theoretical side.

      Do you want to assign me a file type to do, or should I just dive in and
      let you know what I'm working on? Whatever gets done first will most
      likely have to be redone as we standardize more, get into the groove,
      and work out our style, but something still has to get done first and
      I'm willing to do it.

      You've given us plenty of guidance, and there are lots of examples of
      you've posted. I guess my focus for this phase would be:

      (a) Following your guidelines and examples.
      (b) Duplicating current LST functionality exactly to keep code
      conversions to just loading
      (c) Maximize (hopefully 100%) that XML data comes from LST data to make
      converting easiest.

      Cheers,
      Blue
      PCGEN-XML Lemur (self-appointed)
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2003
        On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:09:40AM -0500, CC Americas 1 Carstensen James wrote:
        > Keith,
        >
        > We're all fired up to go, but the past few days have been debating
        > important but not show stopping points. I'd like to actually jump in
        > and start working out conversion XML, and convert a few files with it to
        > see if it works.. I think this will show the strengths and weaknesses
        > from the practical side, which will add to all of our discussions on the
        > theoretical side.

        I believe you are correct.

        > Do you want to assign me a file type to do, or should I just dive in and
        > let you know what I'm working on? Whatever gets done first will most
        > likely have to be redone as we standardize more, get into the groove,
        > and work out our style, but something still has to get done first and
        > I'm willing to do it.

        Go for it. I suggest picking a smallish, simple one to begin (less to
        rework); avoid class for now... <g> If I get time at work today (not
        too likely) I'll try to do up a better example than what I had before.

        > You've given us plenty of guidance, and there are lots of examples of
        > you've posted. I guess my focus for this phase would be:
        >
        > (a) Following your guidelines and examples.
        > (b) Duplicating current LST functionality exactly to keep code
        > conversions to just loading
        > (c) Maximize (hopefully 100%) that XML data comes from LST data to make
        > converting easiest.

        Sounds good.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2003
          On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:09:40AM -0500, CC Americas 1 Carstensen James wrote:
          > Keith,
          >
          > We're all fired up to go, but the past few days have been debating
          > important but not show stopping points. I'd like to actually jump in
          > and start working out conversion XML, and convert a few files with it to
          > see if it works.. I think this will show the strengths and weaknesses
          > from the practical side, which will add to all of our discussions on the
          > theoretical side.
          >
          > Do you want to assign me a file type to do, or should I just dive in and
          > let you know what I'm working on? Whatever gets done first will most
          > likely have to be redone as we standardize more, get into the groove,
          > and work out our style, but something still has to get done first and
          > I'm willing to do it.
          >
          > You've given us plenty of guidance, and there are lots of examples of
          > you've posted. I guess my focus for this phase would be:
          >
          > (a) Following your guidelines and examples.
          > (b) Duplicating current LST functionality exactly to keep code
          > conversions to just loading
          > (c) Maximize (hopefully 100%) that XML data comes from LST data to make
          > converting easiest.

          We don't have a formal method of documenting the designs yet, and we
          don't want to actually *do* the conversions yet. For now, do some
          examples that demonstrate the XML syntax. For example, we don't have a
          good way of saying 'a spell consists of ...', but we can do:

          <lst:spell id="spell.fireball">
          <name>Fireball</name>
          <school>Invocation</school>
          <components>VSM</components>
          <!--- und so weiter -->
          </lst:spell>

          Pick varied examples, including simple ones and complex ones. To quote
          a Perl philosophy, we want 'easy things easy and hard things possible'.
          If the common case is difficult to use, we don't have a good design
          (in either the XML or the base (game) system, depending... there are
          certain things in d20 that, if I ever find the person who designed them,
          I'll happily shake him by the throat... <g>); if something is difficult
          but doesn't come up often because it's a weird rule or something, I'll
          be satisfied.