[NEWS] XML plan summary

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 3, 2003
      On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 09:34:09AM -0500, CC Americas 1 Carstensen James wrote:
      > Keith,
      >
      > Eric and Scott said it, but I think the big question is how much work
      > the Code Monkeys are willing to do. I'll sum up a couple of points from
      > different posts here.

      Hi All,

      things have changed over the weekend; I will be posting more later today
      (I'm a little busy at work right now). The schedule is being moved up
      and I've had to make some (somewhat unilateral) decisions. A plan has
      been submitted to the BoD for ratification and I expect we'll start on
      it very soon. To summarize, however:

      1. We will use (more or less) the simplest and most direct translation
      of LST to XML for now. *Some* of my design will apply, but for the
      most part the XML will be very recognizable and easily understood by
      non-XML monkeys. This was a key point both for the sake of data
      monkey comfort and simple time pressure.
      2. The internal data model will, for the most part, remain untouched.
      We may be able to sneak some changes into the IDM, but for the most
      part we're aiming at minimal impact.
      3. XML serialization will be supported in parallel with LST I/O, at
      least during the early stages. Once XML support is in, LST use is
      deprecated and, in my schedule, slated for earliest possible removal
      (next major release will be as soon as we can) in order to reduce
      maintenance headaches.
      4. All distributed data files will be converted in one pass, rather than
      file type by file type (increase amount of pain, minimize duration).
      5. A converter will be provided for LST files in the field.
      6. We will use the time until the release of 5.0.0 for analysis of the
      code and LST structure; once 5.0.0 hits the streets we'll branch the
      source and start the changes.
      7. After 6.0.0 (full XML, LST removed) is released, we branch the source
      as described in an earlier posting and pursue the path I'd *like* to
      take.

      The plan above will get us into XML and play on the monkey's familiarity
      with LST files. It will be crap XML -- in the sense that while it will
      comply with XML standards it will be poorly-designed XML that will not
      take advantage of all the benefits that XML will give us -- but will
      cause the least distress among data monkeys and least impact on the
      code. The conversion will also be simplest, almost 1:1 congruence
      except where benefits can be gained by making a change.

      We're moving, folks, and while it's not the way I'd been hoping to go,
      it will get us headed in the right direction.