Re: [pcgen-xml] Re: XML Conversion - phased

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 27, 2003
      On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 08:50:35PM +0000, merton_monk <merton_monk@...> wrote:
      > Hopefully most of our data monkeys will be taking full advantage of
      > the GUI editors, though some work will always need to be done by hand.
      > My gut feeling is that in a project like this, trying to fully convert
      > all at once will simply require too much work up front. I think the
      > total amount of work necessary this way would be less, but simply not
      > practical considering how many monkeys we'll have to work on it. If
      > there were significant enough advantages to going this route I might
      > consider suspending all development (data and code) outside of this
      > project so as to limit complicating factors, but it'd have to be a
      > very compelling case.
      >
      > I'd like to get Keith's input on this as well, but I'm leaning toward
      > a phased attack because the threshhold for getting results is lower.
      > We'll need to communicate to the code monkeys how to take optimial
      > advantage of xml and what kinds of data modelings changes in the code
      > we should make. The data monkeys will need to be briefed on the new
      > format, and the GUI Lst Editors will need to be able to export in xml
      > format. This is a huge project, which usually best tackled in
      > portions.

      I've been watching this thread to see what other people's thoughts are
      before I said anything. We have a few ways to approach this.

      The first is the dead simple, straightforward conversion from XML. Net
      gain, IMO, isn't signficant enough to warrant the change because this
      would lead to, frankly, crap XML. It *would* make it at least possible
      to use third-party tools to extract the data from here, but it'll be
      denormalized and exhibit the flaws[1] evident in the LST file design.

      [1] Not to denigrate Bryan or anyone else who's worked on it; it's
      proven remarkably flexible and able to be bent to handle things well
      beyond what it should, by rights, be able to do. However, in the
      bending it's being used in ways that I think are unnecessarily
      complex.

      The second is to walk a middle line; define clear XML for each game item
      type to be described -- elements for weapons, spells, feats, etc. This
      is where I started. I found that it was not as elegant as I'd been
      hoping, and would be quite restrictive. However, this would probably be
      a reasonable approach in that it would in fact provide enough of a gain
      to be worth the effort, but again would depend on the data model
      currently in use. It'd provide an XML schema, it'd allow reuse of much
      of the existing PCGen source code (change only the I/O routines,
      ideally), but would not, at this point, provide an opportunity to
      remodel the data in PCGen (something Bryan has, IIRC, commented on being
      desireable). This step can also make use of a subset of what I've
      designed; by and large, if the sample schema I've described is used, the
      d20 items can be used more or less as described.

      The third is to go all the way. Take the models that I've described and
      use them at the meta level to describe the rules and elements to be used
      in each game mode, and ideally even to describe how to edit content of
      those elements. This is my preferred mode because it'll allow easier
      support of more game modes more easily, and to be complete honest I
      think it may even be *simpler* code because it handles general case
      behavior rather than more special case scenarios.

      Now, in terms of risk vs. gain in the short term, I think that the
      second option is better; this is more or less in agreement with Bryan.
      Once the second part has been done, the third could begin. I don't know
      how much would really be reusable in this case, though, because the
      mindset behind the code is quite different. The data, however, would
      either be reusable or at least, for the most part, easily converted.

      I really think that the third option is where we want to end up, though.
      As such, I'd rather work directly toward that goal; the same amount of
      work *for that part* will need to be done, and when completed the second
      part could (not necessarily *would*) be considered unnecessary work.

      What we may want to consider is a hybrid. Branch the code. Core PCGen
      could follow the second path; this is the best risk:gain path at this
      point and would mean that development would continue. The branch, which
      would be pursuing greater change in not only data file structure but
      also internal data structure and interface construction, is considerably
      higher risk... but also provides the greatest gain. I think the
      benefits are commensurate with the risk, but the risk is, I think, large
      enough that I would not be willing to interrupt the existing process in
      order to experiment, only to throw it away.

      In pursuit of the hybrid solution, I would make the following
      suggestions:

      1. Do the hybrid thing, branch.
      2. The XML data schema produced by the experimental branch is used by
      both branches. The gui and meta schemas would be provided for
      reference to the core branch, but only really used by the
      experimental branch.
      3. Two seperate teams work on these, with reports to the BoD. I'd like
      to solicit for a dev team -- XML and Java -- on the main list; this
      may or may not affect those working on the core stuff right now.
      3a. A third team would handle conversion of the data alone; I want a
      toolsmith -- Java, C/C++, Perl, whatever (is Eric available?) --
      to build tools to do this.
      4. In terms of scheduling, I expect that the core branch could be
      converted to XML in a month or two. I do not know how long it would
      take for the experimental branch to complete; this would only be
      determinable as we start to work.

      This is *not* a fork, but two different paths of development to the same
      goal. One is safe and will get the travelers to their goal safely. The
      other is through the mountains, along cliffs and across rivers... but
      goes to, I hope, a better place.

      Thoughts, comments?

    • CC Americas 1 Carstensen James
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 28, 2003
        Keith wrote:
        > [ ... ] Thoughts, comments?

        Let me summarize to make sure I understand your points. Your three
        points of XML conversion are:

        1. XML that exactly mimics current tab-separated LST files
        2. XML that describes all of the game elements in an XML way
        3. XML that goes all they way, takes #2 but also supports meta-level
        descriptions and game rules.

        I do see a few (minor) benefits of #1, but only as a step towards #2 &
        #3.
        * Can get XML reading into PCGen to quickly and get it debugged before
        moving further.
        * _Very_ simple to right converters for existing LST files (both
        community supported and user generated)
        * Prepare the community to think in XML

        However I also agree with your statement that it doesn't bring enough to
        PCGen to worthwhile. Perhaps the Code Monkeys would want that as a
        first step, but from an data-format standpoint it doesn't add any value
        over tap-separated.

        As you said, I agree with your thoughts that #2 is the best risk/gain in
        the short term, and #3 is the best risk/gain in the long term. I won't
        comment on branching the code - I don't know enough if that would
        require a freeze on bug fixes/FREQ or if we could do the work once and
        have it apply to both branches (CVS should do that, unless out
        underlying representation of the data changes the nature of the bug
        fixes).

        Where I have a concern if going from #2 to #3 (or even #1 to #2/#3). #3
        seems by far the most elegant and powerful, but is hampered by all of
        the pre-existing LST files. In order to really take advantage of #3 I
        can't see an automatic converter. Which means that we need to do a lot
        of work just to preserve our existing LST functionality, which is work
        not being used to more forward.

        You had mentioned a hybrid of #2 and #3, which kept the formats
        separate. How feasible is a hybrid of #2 and #3 in which we don't?
        Just as now we have an evolution of tags, what would we have to do to
        develop the XML format for #3 such that is also supports the data for
        #2? In other words we put together XML specs for #3, but our initial
        goal is only to provide functionality for the #2 subset in code,
        converters, and list files. This gives us a fairly clean path to write
        converters for in the short term and goes for the maximized risk/reward
        you had mentioned, but then allows us (from both a code and LST
        perspective) to add in the meta data and slowly take advantage of it.
        Just as we currently add or update tags, this would also be working
        toward the eventual goal of #3, but #3 designed as a superset of #2.

        However, unlike the current tags, which we occasionally need to redo to
        keep with the current vision, instead we'll have a clear path and will
        have designed with future functionality taken into consideration.

        Cheers,
        Blue

        <merton_monk@...> wrote:
> [...]

        experimental branch.
        3. Two seperate teams work on these, with reports to the BoD. I'd like
        to solicit for a dev team -- XML and Java -- on the main list; this
        may or may not affect those working on the core stuff right now.
        3a. A third team would handle conversion of the data alone; I want a
        toolsmith -- Java, C/C++, Perl, whatever (is Eric available?) --
        to build tools to do this.
        4. In terms of scheduling, I expect that the core branch could be
        converted to XML in a month or two. I do not know how long it would
        take for the experimental branch to complete; this would only be
        determinable as we start to work.

        This is *not* a fork, but two different paths of development to the same
        goal. One is safe and will get the travelers to their goal safely. The
        other is through the mountains, along cliffs and across rivers... but

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 28, 2003
          On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:36:54AM -0500, CC Americas 1 Carstensen James wrote:
          > Keith wrote:
          > > [ ... ] Thoughts, comments?
          >
          > Let me summarize to make sure I understand your points. Your three
          > points of XML conversion are:
          >
          > 1. XML that exactly mimics current tab-separated LST files
          > 2. XML that describes all of the game elements in an XML way
          > 3. XML that goes all they way, takes #2 but also supports meta-level
          > descriptions and game rules.

          Correct in all cases.

          > I do see a few (minor) benefits of #1, but only as a step towards #2 &
          > #3.
          > * Can get XML reading into PCGen to quickly and get it debugged before
          > moving further.
          > * _Very_ simple to write converters for existing LST files (both
          > community supported and user generated)
          > * Prepare the community to think in XML
          >
          > However I also agree with your statement that it doesn't bring enough to
          > PCGen to worthwhile. Perhaps the Code Monkeys would want that as a
          > first step, but from an data-format standpoint it doesn't add any value
          > over tab-separated.

          That is my belief. While it may have some benefit from a coding
          standpoint, going to the obvious XML changes things from a semi-arcane
          format that is reasonably concise to a verbose but somewhat easier to
          understand format. While this may be of some benefit, I think that we
          wouldn't be staying here long enough to really be worth the trouble.

          > As you said, I agree with your thoughts that #2 is the best risk/gain in
          > the short term, and #3 is the best risk/gain in the long term. I won't
          > comment on branching the code - I don't know enough if that would
          > require a freeze on bug fixes/FREQ or if we could do the work once and
          > have it apply to both branches (CVS should do that, unless out
          > underlying representation of the data changes the nature of the bug
          > fixes).

          To be honest, I don't know how much of the existing code -- the code
          that would be used in #2 -- would really get reused. I think that the
          underlying mechanism of the program would be changing, and that the
          scope of the changes would be broad enough that, while we could use the
          existing code as a resource, it probably wouldn't make a great place to
          start. The internal data model would be changing, the front end code
          would be more or less replaced... all that would be left would be a bit
          of the code used to handle certain game constructs, and that probably
          wouldn't even work with the generalized data.

          Hence this is the 'high-risk' route. I think it'd lead to simpler code
          overall, but it means not being able to make full use of what already
          has been done.

          > Where I have a concern if going from #2 to #3 (or even #1 to #2/#3). #3
          > seems by far the most elegant and powerful, but is hampered by all of
          > the pre-existing LST files. In order to really take advantage of #3 I
          > can't see an automatic converter. Which means that we need to do a lot
          > of work just to preserve our existing LST functionality, which is work
          > not being used to more forward.

          Most of the simpler stuff -- which is, I think, most of everything --
          should be pretty straightforward to convert. It's where things get
          complex that we'll run into difficulty... but then again, I think they
          could get simpler because the XML schema models them better. For
          instance, right now we have a number of templates whose sole purpose is
          to implement changes to the character that cannot be done another way.
          The general rule in the XML is that anything that can change something
          can change anything about it.

          Gah. Ugly sentence. How about an example?

          A class level can change anything about the character it is applied to;
          it can add to stats, change the class hit die[1], increase or decrease
          character size, change race, whatever. Similarly, the race can give /n/
          levels of sorcerer, or just give 12 levels of sorcerer spellcasting (no
          hit dice, familiar, etc., just spells). Taking a feat can give bonus
          ranks in a skill; taking a tenth rank in a skill might give a feat. Why
          not?

          Granted, it means that things can be a little unsane (skill ranks give
          feats? Huh?), but I'm willing to leave that to the data people. As far
          as I'm concerned this is good.

          [1] well, not *exactly*, but close enough -- each level may add a hit
          die, but there's nothing saying that they have to be the same
          size... incidentally, this also makes it easy to support the
          material in Savage Species.

          > You had mentioned a hybrid of #2 and #3, which kept the formats
          > separate. How feasible is a hybrid of #2 and #3 in which we don't?
          > Just as now we have an evolution of tags, what would we have to do to
          > develop the XML format for #3 such that is also supports the data for
          > #2? In other words we put together XML specs for #3, but our initial
          > goal is only to provide functionality for the #2 subset in code,
          > converters, and list files. This gives us a fairly clean path to write
          > converters for in the short term and goes for the maximized risk/reward
          > you had mentioned, but then allows us (from both a code and LST
          > perspective) to add in the meta data and slowly take advantage of it.
          > Just as we currently add or update tags, this would also be working
          > toward the eventual goal of #3, but #3 designed as a superset of #2.

          The formats wouldn't be entirely seperate, just parts of them. #2 would
          use the data schema for D&D that comes out of #3; #3 would also support
          the meta and gui mechanisms. Thus, #2 would be a subset of #3 in terms
          of XML, but they would be able to use the same game data. At least, #3
          would be if the correct meta definitions are loaded.

          Perhaps 'hybrid' was a poorly-chosen word. I didn't mean a hybrid
          program, but a cross between the two approaches.

          What you've described is almost what I had in mind, though. If we were
          to branch as I described earlier, the core branch would be modified to
          make use of the d20 (D&D) XML schema (parts of which are in the
          documentation I recently uploaded). This would get the extant data into
          XML (at least for D&D, and probably for the others; the differences
          aren't that profound yet) and the core branch would be able to use it.

          The extant data can be converted -- automagically where feasible,
          manually where not. I think many of the existing encodings may be made
          simpler, but I think that -- for the ugly parts -- we can continue to
          support pretty much the same behavior, at least initially. For
          instance, where a class has to add a template in order to support
          something (say, a class that increases the character's size) we can
          probably do that conversion automatically, but maybe come back later to
          make it more elegant (make the size change directly in the class
          description, rather than in the template).

          For the new branch, I don't know that we'd be able to scavenge a lot of
          code from the core program to use in the meta-enabled program. The two
          programs, while they have the same goal, don't really do it the same
          way. The third program moves as much as possible into data, and will, I
          hope, be simpler overall.

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 28, 2003
            On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 08:07:04AM -0800, Keith Davies wrote:
            > On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:36:54AM -0500, CC Americas 1 Carstensen James wrote:
            > >
            > > Let me summarize to make sure I understand your points. Your three
            > > points of XML conversion are:
            > >
            > > 1. XML that exactly mimics current tab-separated LST files
            > > 2. XML that describes all of the game elements in an XML way
            > > 3. XML that goes all they way, takes #2 but also supports meta-level
            > > descriptions and game rules.

            <killer snip>

            Any questions or comments? I've been asked to move things up and unless
            someone comes up with something I haven't considered before now, it'll
            be decision time.

          • Eric Beaudoin
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 28, 2003
              At 11:07 2003.02.28, Keith Davies wrote:
              >To be honest, I don't know how much of the existing code -- the code
              >that would be used in #2 -- would really get reused. I think that the
              >underlying mechanism of the program would be changing, and that the
              >scope of the changes would be broad enough that, while we could use the
              >existing code as a resource, it probably wouldn't make a great place to
              >start. The internal data model would be changing, the front end code
              >would be more or less replaced... all that would be left would be a bit
              >of the code used to handle certain game constructs, and that probably
              >wouldn't even work with the generalized data.

              I was really hoping that this would not be the case i.e. that only the parsing code would be change. The monkeys have worked hard to make PCGEN go faster, rewriting it at this point is not only high risk, it will probably be a major step back.

              The goal should be that external representation of the data should have a minimal impact on the application represent them internaly. This XML representation will most probably also be used for E-Tools so it stands a good chance of becoming the defacto data representation standard for d20 products. It is very important that we design a language that is as much application independant as possible.

              Also, for the phase parts, I'm for the quick gains. In my opinion, we should go to a "transition" XML schema that mimics the .LST syntax that we have first and then build on this. No mather how hard we try, we will not be able to create the "right" schema" on the first try anyway. It will be a sery of little evolutions getting us to the right point. We might as well start with something that is already familiar and work from there.

              My opinion anyway.

              P.S. Don't count on editor to much to hide the complexity of the schemas. All the major data contributors are still using text editors to get the job done. We should assume that it will stay that way and plan a schema that will be easy to work with rather than easy for the machine to read. It's easier to optimise a parser than to find and train dedicated data monkeys.

              √Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
              <mailto:beaudoer@...>
            • Scott Ellsworth
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1 2:51 PM
                On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 11:34 PM, Eric Beaudoin wrote:

                > At 11:07 2003.02.28, Keith Davies wrote:
                >> The internal data model would be changing, the front end code
                >> would be more or less replaced... all that would be left would be a
                >> bit
                >> of the code used to handle certain game constructs, and that probably
                >> wouldn't even work with the generalized data.
                >
                > I was really hoping that this would not be the case i.e. that only the
                > parsing code would be change. The monkeys have worked hard to make
                > PCGEN go faster, rewriting it at this point is not only high risk, it
                > will probably be a major step back.

                As one of the monkeys who has spent upwards of a coder-month working on
                optimization, I must humbly disagree. I am not sure that it would take
                less time to fix the current data model than to write a new one. This
                is not to say that the current code is bad, just that it was not
                written originally for optimal speed, and we have enough data that we
                really need to have indexed hashes for our data.

                For example, the current code regularly iterates over collections of
                keys, doing a caseless text comparison of each key, because the keys
                double as user editable text. Further, it regularly reparses the same
                string for information it already parsed. (Every tab switch requires
                reparsing a whole bunch of entries for Variables, splitting on |
                characters.) These two things alone eat up well over 90% of the
                execution time, according to my profiler, and they are so deep in the
                program that they are very, very hard to fix. It took me four hours to
                do the work to just replace global weapon profs, and that was one of
                the easier ones.

                Keith has proposed a core data model where keys are unique and always,
                always, always in lower case.

                Further, in Keith's data model, we would not parse a string like
                BONUS:somestuff|moreStuff|+2|otherstuff
                more than once - the data would be broken apart on read, and stored in
                appropriate hashes or lists, so it would be easy to find out if an item
                gave a strength bonus, for example.

                We could split these efforts: convert the data model, and convert the
                XML files as separate tasks. The lst files would remain essentially
                the same, but would have separate key and user visible name data, and
                the reader would break apart all bonuses/variables on reading. I have
                been noodling away at that it my spare time, but it is not a fast
                process.

                If this was a priority, we would want to get a number of code monkeys
                working on it as a major feature. We could easily get an order of
                magnitude out of this, as we make over 5000 function calls just to
                switch a tab, and we should be making in the hundreds at the outside.

                Scott
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1 3:22 PM
                  On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 02:51:40PM -0800, Scott Ellsworth wrote:

                  > On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 11:34 PM, Eric Beaudoin wrote:
                  >
                  > > At 11:07 2003.02.28, Keith Davies wrote:
                  > >> The internal data model would be changing, the front end code
                  > >> would be more or less replaced... all that would be left would be a
                  > >> bit
                  > >> of the code used to handle certain game constructs, and that probably
                  > >> wouldn't even work with the generalized data.
                  > >
                  > > I was really hoping that this would not be the case i.e. that only the
                  > > parsing code would be change. The monkeys have worked hard to make
                  > > PCGEN go faster, rewriting it at this point is not only high risk, it
                  > > will probably be a major step back.
                  >
                  > As one of the monkeys who has spent upwards of a coder-month working on
                  > optimization, I must humbly disagree. I am not sure that it would take
                  > less time to fix the current data model than to write a new one. This
                  > is not to say that the current code is bad, just that it was not
                  > written originally for optimal speed, and we have enough data that we
                  > really need to have indexed hashes for our data.

                  Scott, please contact me offlist. I have some questions that I think
                  you can answer for me; it'd be a big help. ICQ 8550570, or AIM
                  keithjdavies.

                  Thanks,

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1 7:34 PM
                    I'm logged into AIM right now as CMPMerton (might be a space between
                    CMP and Merton, I forget) if you'd like to discuss the persistence
                    layer in PCGen or data model. Anyone who wants to help with the xml
                    conversion can join... I'll probably be online for a couple of hours.

                    -Bryan

                    --- In pcgen-xml@yahoogroups.com, Keith Davies <keith.davies@k...>

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 3 6:34 AM
                      Keith,

                      Eric and Scott said it, but I think the big question is how much work
                      the Code Monkeys are willing to do. I'll sum up a couple of points from
                      different posts here.

                      Eric Beaudoin wrote:
                      > Also, for the phase parts, I'm for the quick gains. In my opinion, we
                      should go to a "transition" XML schema that mimics the .LST syntax that
                      we have first and then build on this. No mather how hard we try, we will
                      not be able to create the "right" schema" on the first try anyway. It
                      will be a sery of little evolutions getting us to the right point. We
                      might as well start with something that is already familiar and work
                      from there.

                      Eric, you're contributed much more then me to PCGen, take this with the
                      respect it's intended. From looking at the list files, and looking at
                      the "cleaner" implementation that Keith wants, it's more of a revolution
                      then an evolution. Some things are just done in a different enough way
                      that getting there from a direct tab-to-XML conversion is not easy, may
                      not be optimal, and may end up just being "bolted on" rather then a
                      clean implementation.

                      I myself way hoping for the same evolution, but more from Step #2 to
                      Step #3, and even there I don't know how much that's true.

                      The current LST structure has evolved over time to handle more and more,
                      and it has both it's strengths and weaknesses. XML has different
                      strengths and weaknesses, and I think that if we just pull over the LST
                      files to XML format, we'll be importing some of the weaknesses of LST
                      while not mitigating some of the weaknesses of XML.

                      But we grow from there - maybe that's worth that initial period to
                      convert people over quickest and then grow. Is growing from a syntax
                      that won't take advantage of XMLs strengths to one that will a
                      longer/hander process then doing a single big change and have a good
                      foundation to build on?

                      Scott Ellsworth wrote:
                      > We could split these efforts: convert the data model, and convert the
                      XML files as separate tasks. The lst files would remain essentially
                      the same, but would have separate key and user visible name data, and
                      the reader would break apart all bonuses/variables on reading. I have
                      been noodling away at that it my spare time, but it is not a fast
                      process.

                      Is this something that would be going on concurrently, before, or after
                      the XML conversion? It seems like even if we stayed with LST files
                      working out a way to do unique lowercase identifiers would be a benefit.

                      Cheers,
                      Blue

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 3 8:26 AM
                        On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 09:34:09AM -0500, CC Americas 1 Carstensen James wrote:
                        > Keith,
                        >
                        > Eric and Scott said it, but I think the big question is how much work
                        > the Code Monkeys are willing to do. I'll sum up a couple of points from
                        > different posts here.

                        Hi All,

                        things have changed over the weekend; I will be posting more later today
                        (I'm a little busy at work right now). The schedule is being moved up
                        and I've had to make some (somewhat unilateral) decisions. A plan has
                        been submitted to the BoD for ratification and I expect we'll start on
                        it very soon. To summarize, however:

                        1. We will use (more or less) the simplest and most direct translation
                        of LST to XML for now. *Some* of my design will apply, but for the
                        most part the XML will be very recognizable and easily understood by
                        non-XML monkeys. This was a key point both for the sake of data
                        monkey comfort and simple time pressure.
                        2. The internal data model will, for the most part, remain untouched.
                        We may be able to sneak some changes into the IDM, but for the most
                        part we're aiming at minimal impact.
                        3. XML serialization will be supported in parallel with LST I/O, at
                        least during the early stages. Once XML support is in, LST use is
                        deprecated and, in my schedule, slated for earliest possible removal
                        (next major release will be as soon as we can) in order to reduce
                        maintenance headaches.
                        4. All distributed data files will be converted in one pass, rather than
                        file type by file type (increase amount of pain, minimize duration).
                        5. A converter will be provided for LST files in the field.
                        6. We will use the time until the release of 5.0.0 for analysis of the
                        code and LST structure; once 5.0.0 hits the streets we'll branch the
                        source and start the changes.
                        7. After 6.0.0 (full XML, LST removed) is released, we branch the source
                        as described in an earlier posting and pursue the path I'd *like* to
                        take.

                        The plan above will get us into XML and play on the monkey's familiarity
                        with LST files. It will be crap XML -- in the sense that while it will
                        comply with XML standards it will be poorly-designed XML that will not
                        take advantage of all the benefits that XML will give us -- but will
                        cause the least distress among data monkeys and least impact on the
                        code. The conversion will also be simplest, almost 1:1 congruence
                        except where benefits can be gained by making a change.

                        We're moving, folks, and while it's not the way I'd been hoping to go,
                        it will get us headed in the right direction.