Re: Why XML?

  • mauriceonmaplate
    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 14 2:09 PM
      --- In pcgen-xml@y..., "aspxpert" <aspxpert@y...> wrote:
      > You discount the status of XML as a standard far too much.

      I thought long and hard on this before commenting.

      > Because XML is a standard, there are a myriad of (free) tools that
      > enable coders to very easily harness all of its power.

      It all depends on the DSD [I think that's right] which contains the
      rules that validate the XML.

      > Because XML is a standard, MORE people will be able to maintain
      data
      > files - because they won't have to learn a new standard.

      It's only a Standard like English has Sentances, Paragraphs and such,
      yet the variety of how it's employed is vast.

      > And I believe I saw a recent statement that the data files are
      > becoming XML over on the main pcgen list. That the code gods feel
      > it's the best way to go to support what PCGen must do to gain WotC
      > approval.

      That was stated as a plan, the data structures being reassessed
      first, which is the true advantage of the process. How the new
      structures [I think they called them Schemas] is what matters. XML
      may well be the correct solution. XML may well be implemented, even
      if it's not the correct solution.

      > Which to answer the last part of your email, yes, it seems that
      PCGen
      > MUST remove any notion of the game mechanics out of its CODE and
      into
      > its DATA. XML can represent mechanics very well.

      XML can, but is not unique in that. My questions really are how much
      value is there in being able to hand-edit, and at the opposite
      extreme, how much value in a closed process.

      > Java can also load, compile, and code "on-the-fly". Though I doubt
      > this will be necessary if the code gods implement the XML schema
      > correctly.

      Can it load a pre-compiled module?

      Message 47 of 47 , Aug 26 1:17 PM
        On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 07:55:34PM +0000, merton_monk wrote:
        > We're going to steer clear of descriptions - even paraphrased ones
        > for now. At some point I hope I'm able to sit down with a sofrware
        > lawyer and figure out to what extent we (and by that I mean me!) are
        > liable for users who enter in verbatim text. I don't want to get
        > into a legal quibbling discussion here - I've been in them too much
        > lately! So consider it a Benevolent Dictator Directive (hey - I get
        > to issue those from time to time!) that we don't include any
        > descriptions at all. However, we can plan/design for them assuming
        > that we can use that at some point. I think that most publishers are
        > fine if we include summary-type descriptions, but it's a touchy
        > issue. For now we'll go the safe route.

        Ahhhh... now that I've exhumed myself from under this weekend's email
        and can reply to things (supposedly) intelligently....

        This is my intent. It'll be designed in, but (so far as I know) will
        not be used in the official files. I expect the 'brief descriptions'
        -- the one-liners like "creates a big, hot ball of fire" or "lets you
        move through combat more safely" -- will still be present in the data,
        though.

        To a certain degree I'm overdesigning the schema. I can see some things
        that make sense to include even if we won't be using them right away.

        Case in point, the rules currently call for cleric spells, and domain
        spells. I plan to support a cleric list, lists for domains, and a
        specific list for each god. Thus, if all clerics of a god have access
        to a particular set of spells, but not all other clerics do, they can be
        granted 'directly' by the god. They may or may not also be domain
        spells. Incidentally, I'm also planning to support multiple pantheons.
        The dwarven clerics, for example, will have different spells available
        to them than clerics of the Imperial gods, which will be different from
        the spells of the clerics of the jungle spirits. Or not.

        Another example is skills. It will be possible to define subskills for
        pretty much any skill, much like Perform. For instance, my
        Knowledge(Religion) has a whole bunch of subcategories such as 'dwarven
        pantheon', 'Naurond' (specific dwarven god), 'Vudun' (another pantheon),
        etc.; as ranks are gained these subskills may be selected. Similarly
        with Craft -- the specific skill taken may have subskills
        (Craft(Weaponsmith) has subskills based on the different ways of
        creating weapons, or different categories... 4 ranks gets a decent
        grounding in the common weapons of the culture, but exotic weapons
        would require more ranks and masterwork items might require special
        techniques).

        Another thing is prerequisites on a larger range of things, including:
        - feats (currently done)
        - classes (currently done)
        - class levels ('in order to reach 8th level, /x/ must be done', or
        'must have /y/ feat in order to reach 5th level')
        - skills (must have /x/ feat to learn this skill... which I've seen in
        books IIRC)
        - race (why not? Earlier editions of D&D used to have this)

        Overbuilt, perhaps, but at least it won't have to be hacked in later....

        "While information might or might not want to be free, it definitely
        doesn't want to live under a DRM" -- Jonas, on PCGen