Re: [pcgen-xml] A question/thought on conversion

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2002
      On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 01:57:21PM -0700, Scott Ellsworth wrote:

      > On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 01:59 PM, Keith Davies wrote:
      >
      > > On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 08:21:34PM +0000, aspxpert wrote:
      > >> When PCGen loads LST files, what does it do with them? Does it leave
      > >> them in memory as collections of unparsed strings, or does it parse
      > >> them into a more native data format?
      > >>
      > >> If it does indeed parse them, would it not reduce conversion effort to
      > >> use the PCGen LST file loaders and only write an XML output engine?
      > >
      > > As I understand it (and I haven't gone into the code) the data
      > > structures currently in PCGen are very generalized and *big*. I also
      > > understand that they are in serious need of refactoring (this program
      > > was grown, rather than built -- serious evolution took the place of
      > > design). This got a working program, but we have the opportunity to
      > > improve it.
      >
      > The data structures are very generalized, and some parsing does take
      > place, but not enough. Much of the data still exists as strings, though
      > they have been split out from the original program line that held them.
      >
      > A key part of an effort like this would be to turn the data storage
      > system into something a tad more opaque, and with more optimal usage of
      > keys and sets. One benefit to the XML effort, we can at least get away
      > from having to uppercase all of our keys before comparison, and thus can
      > do a much better comparison than the current linear one.

      See! See! A *knowledgeable* answer. I wish I had more of those....

      <g>

      PCGen-XML Reaper, smartass
    • Ysgarran
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2002
        I've worked on just such a beast on the assumption that it
        would be easier to convert from an intermediate XML file
        to the final XML format.

        I never checked the code in but I have seriously thought
        about it.  Problem is that it turned into a lot more work
        than I thought it would be and some things used to
        be unparsed in PCGen.   That increased the time it
        took to actually convert some of the stuff...

        The other problem is that the code has gotten stale since
        I have not kept it up to date with the changing PCGen code.

        I can either check it in to PCgen or I could e-mail it out to
        anyone who wants to take a lot.

        Finally, I'm trying to break the data down a bit so it is not
        strictly a one to one conversion from the lst files to the XML
        files.

        Brian F.

        p.s.
        If anyone wants to take a look at the code, I'll fire it  off
        to them.